Menu

what do you do your SOTW narratives in?

kfeusse

We are going to begin SOTW 2 in a couple weeks, and unlike SOTW 1, I want to have the kids do the narratives (we were just starting homeschooling when we began SOTW 1 and I just didn't get that part started, so now is a logically time)...but I don't know if there are preprinted pages that someone has posted before to use for this, or if I should just use a notebook or what....what you guys all do? Oh, with SOTW 1, I put together a family binder with the maps, coloring sheets and pictures of any of the activities we did. So I want to put the narratives in our new binder...according to chapter. Any suggestions??

There are some preprinted pages for SOTW1-2, maybe even 3 that someone will have to give you the links for if you want them.

For us, we use plain notebook paper. Each of my dds have their own SOTW binder. I pre print out a full copy each of the student pages and 3 hole punch and put in notebooks at the beginning of the year, one for each child. After I read aloud I help them with their narrations, which I write down. Then 3rd grader copies hers neatly to notebook paper and puts in her binder along with the color sheet and map. For my first grader I put the copy that I wrote into hers, and I have her copy one sentence from it or one sentence of an important fact that I want her to write. She does that on primary lined paper which I then 3 hole punch and put into her notebook too.

My boys each have a compsition book. They even usually cut out the coloring pictures and glue them in there. Or they do thier own drawings.

My 4th grader keeps his narrations in there. My 5th grader keeps his outlines, list of facts, and summaries from books.

When they were younger (and we weren't as good about this stuff anyway) we used those composition books that have the primary lined paper in them.

For first grade, we used some notebook pages that someone made. For second, we used pre-printed pages, but they were just smaller primary lines with a space at the top for a picture (dd drew a pic in first grade, but used internet pics in second grade). For 4th grade (third was public), we used notebook paper. We put each narration in chronological order (actually by chapter), and put the map work and any coloring pages behind it. In first grade, we added some pics of the projects we did, but by fourth, we just did the narrations and map work and didn't keep track of the projects.

I saw one way that I loved and one that was adapted.

Original:

Composition notebook - the first few pages were the table of contents - first five perhaps. The subsequent pages were numbered. The table of contents from the book were copied, enlarged, and cut. Each page in the composition notebook had the title pasted. The table of contents were written by the student (excellent LA skills here ;) ). As each section was read the student went to that page and wrote a narration. Half sheets of white paper for some sections and the coloring pages for other sections were pasted/taped on the back of the narration page. It looked like they used double stick tape tabs to me.

I saw an adaption of this:

Purchase the coloring book as a pdf. Printed the coloring book. Type in all titles and chapter headings, let word create the table of contents using Heading1 and Heading2 styles. Print. Where color sheets were used, print the lines and headings on the frontside of the coloring sheet. Three-hole punch and place in a folder (or folders if using this method).

After a chapter was finished put it in a presentation binder with pictures (scrapbook sheets) of projects and other misc. items. Each section had a tab-divider - narrations, projects, maps, extra-curricular studies, writings, biographies, inventions .... you get the idea. Each section had a table of contents that identified the pages inside. Each section was listed on the front sleeve with a title - "Ancients". You could go far with this.

I believe this reminded me of another program - the notebooking method - but I cannot remember which one.

I'm on my phone right now, but yesterday I came across SOTW workbooks on the redshift site (the one that has schedules for SOTW combined with various books). I think one link was broken, but I found a free SOTW workbook on lulu that was based off the ones on redshift.

If no one else posts links, I'll dig them up on my computer later.

I'm on my phone right now, but yesterday I came across SOTW workbooks on the redshift site (the one that has schedules for SOTW combined with various books). I think one link was broken, but I found a free SOTW workbook on lulu that was based off the ones on redshift.

If no one else posts links, I'll dig them up on my computer later.

I found the one on Lulu...it is $4...I like it...so I might be going that way...thanks.

Original:

Composition notebook - the first few pages were the table of contents - first five perhaps. The subsequent pages were numbered. The table of contents from the book were copied, enlarged, and cut. Each page in the composition notebook had the title pasted. The table of contents were written by the student (excellent LA skills here ;) ). As each section was read the student went to that page and wrote a narration. Half sheets of white paper for some sections and the coloring pages for other sections were pasted/taped on the back of the narration page. It looked like they used double stick tape tabs to me.

Oooohh, I like this. I think we will have to add in chapter headings now and if we do it next year add in a table of contents!

The SOTW2 on redshift is very similar to the SOTW1 on lulu (similar in format). I found the lulu one because I think there was a broken link on redshift for the SOTW1 version (I'm doing 1 this year).

Sorry to be confusing! It's just hard to share links from my phone. :D

I think the OP bought the ones from Lulu. They are nice (love the art!), and seem to be for the older child. Looks like we'll be doing SOTW 2 next fall, and he'll be in 6th grade. Does anyone think the ones on redshift would be too juvenile for him? Do you guys do a sub-heading a day?

Looks like we'll be doing SOTW 2 next fall, and he'll be in 6th grade. Does anyone think the ones on redshift would be too juvenile for him? Do you guys do a sub-heading a day?

The one on redshift has the triple lined stuff for little kids. I wouldn't use that with a 6th grader. You might like the narration pages here for him:

http://homeschoolhelperonline.com/notebooking_history_geography.htm

I used these this week since I'm the one doing the writing at this point. It's nice, small lines for an older child or adult. ;)

Unfortunately, you have to download each one separately, and they're .gif files, not PDFs.

Do you guys do a sub-heading a day?

I can't speak to the notebooks, but I have discovered that the only way we can keep moving through SOTW and do some of the fun things too. We listen to the whole chapter in one sitting, then do all the questions, BUT they only make a note book page for one of the sub-headings. That also gives us time and energy to do narrations and outlines from our other readings, which I feel is more important when you have older kids using the lower levels (my 9yo and 11yo are doing SOTW 1 this year).