Menu

Would MFW Exploration work with CQLA or would it be overkill? and other MFW questions

wonderfilled

I'm considering MFW Exploration for next year. We are currently using CQLA for grammar, spelling, and writing. I would like to continue with CQLA because the children are enjoying it and because I feel like it would be good to stay with the same program. Would the writing scheduled in MFW plus CQLA be too much language arts? I'm hoping there are some moms out there who have used both, not necessarily at the same time, that can give me some advice. I have nothing against MFW's grammar, spelling, and writing suggestions so would it be better to switch to something that might take less time?

Also, what are the student pages like that go with Exploration? There isn't much of an explanation on their site.

And one last question, would it make any sense to substitute MOH for Story of the World? Or are there assignments scheduled based on Story of the World? I think I read somewhere that their is some out-lining assigned for SOTW. If so, are the answers provided in the Teacher's Manual or would it be just as easy to substitue one book for another? Maybe it's a crazy idea but I just thought I would ask. I wouldn't mind scheduling in MOH, but not if it throws a lot of other things off.

Thanks again.

You can use what ever kind of grammar, writing and math you want. I love MFW but don't follow those recs. I feel that part of curriculum choice is so personal since kids work so differently so it is smart of them to make recs but leave the choice totally up to the parent.

There are student pages that you get with the curriculum. IF you have more than one kid that will be doing it at the same time you can either make copies or buy another set of student pages for somewhere around $10.

I don't see why you couldn't do MOH instead. There are not really student pages that depend on SOTW. However, not all of the reading is American history but from all over the world during the EXP-1850's period. I don't know how MOH works and if it does the same time period all over the world or if that time period is strictly American History KWIM? You could look and maybe schedule MOH for when you have the same overlap and use SOTW for when it has information that MOH does not.

HTH!

Thanks Momma H. That helps. MOH would include world history.

Okay, I just looked it up and the dates covered in MOH are 1455-1707. I guess I should have checked this before asking my question. MOH 3 would take me to about the 10th week or so in MFW. :) There is much more world history in MOH so I guess substituting it wouldn't work very well. Actually, I've never looked at SOTW so maybe they skip parts in the schedule in MFW. Maybe there is more world history than it looks like.

I don't use MFW recs for grammar, spelling, or writing either. You can easily use whatever you want. The writing hasn't been that great so far (mainly narrations for history readings). Most of the student pages are for the 50 states study which we haven't gotten to quite yet.

SOTW isn't scheduled everyday and they occasionally skip a chapter. I haven't used MOH so I'm not sure if you could sub it easily or not. We don't spend a lot of time with the SOTW readings but it does seem to help tie stuff together.

You can use whatever language arts you want. You did ask the question if using CQLA and MFW might be too much together. One thing to consider is this: if there is a day where it is too much writing, give yourself permission to skip one of them, or do something orally. Example, in EX1850, the children will do copy work: the entire book of James. So you might want to avoid double copywork on days with lots of verse writing.

and you already see the problem with doing MOH - it only goes up to 1707.

If you have it, maybe it can be extra reading in book basket or something.

In 1850MOD, the student sheets from SOTW are used. But not in EX1850.

-crystal

Thanks everybody.

It doesn't sound like there is too much writing in Exploration, so it should work out combining it with CQLA. And thanks for the reminder cbollin that I don't have to do everything, but, if I pay for something I don't like to skip a lot of it, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying too much.

I think it would work to combine my two oldest in CQLA next year and they are kind of excited about that, since that has never happened before in L.A.