Menu

My family is so.....off

I do very little with my Facebook account but have had one with both my maiden and married last name for over a year.

I got a friend request last night from a girl I went to high school with. When we were in our later teens we found out we were actually cousins as my uncle gave her up for adoption at birth. We barely knew each other but she was pretty good friends with my husband at one time.

The thing that is off?

She is the ONLY family member I have been friended by. I have 8 living siblings and 10 teen/adult nieces/nephews, 5 living aunts/uncles, and 20+ cousins. I have often felt like I was an only child due to my families odd dynamics and this just kind of cemented it more (baby of 9, but the only child of a second marriage for both my parents). I know several of them are Very computer literate and definitely use it as a way to communicate, so it isn't a 'tech' issue or a lack of computer.

It really sums up my family that the only one to reach out.....wasn't raised in our bio-family. LOL

I haven't looked up anyone myself because I don't really do Facebook, so it is pretty pointless for me to use that as a venue to do so.

Eh, you aren't the only one with odd family dynamics ;) Don't feel so alone there. I almost think that dysfunctional was the "normal" of the past few generations including ours. Thankfully it seems to be our generation that is attempting the change.

Just trying to explain my sibling group and HOW we are siblings is confusing to people...I literally had to draw a diagram for my husband to be able to understand and follow (we share this mother, we share this father, we are steps, we aren't steps but we share these siblings because they share that parent and we share this parent...nice, unh?)

Eh, you aren't the only one with odd family dynamics ;) Don't feel so alone there. I almost think that dysfunctional was the "normal" of the past few generations including ours. Thankfully it seems to be our generation that is attempting the change.

Just trying to explain my sibling group and HOW we are siblings is confusing to people...I literally had to draw a diagram for my husband to be able to understand and follow (we share this mother, we share this father, we are steps, we aren't steps but we share these siblings because they share that parent and we share this parent...nice, unh?)

Yeah, mine is a bit like that, complicated Venn diagram.:D

You may be getting friend requests from other family members soon. Once you are friends with someone fb suggests you to their friends. I think that is how most people get connected. You see their name as a friend of your friend and many times you just don't know someone has a fb account. So unless you have time to look people up, you just add people as you see them.

Families. Yikes. :grouphug:

Can you just friend all of the people you want to friend, or have they not accepted your requests? I know I don't always check the friend requests. There was a cousin request that was there quite awhile, it turns out. I sent her an apology as I didn't want her to think i was ignoring her! I explained I just had not noticed. :(

I wonder why you haven't requested to be friends with any of your family members, rather than waiting for them?

I'm rarely on facebook, and won't accept requests for either my mother or MIL. *shivers*

I am not waiting for them. I have no interest in using Facebook to keep in contact with people, I have never sent a request to anyone, nor do I plan to. The only reason I know she sent the request, is that it notified my by email.

One of the main reasons I even have a FB account, is so that people will leave me alone about having one. LOL When I deactivate my account, friends and coworkers are always bugging me to have a page....as long as I have a page, they all leave me alone about it. LOL Adult peer pressure is alive and well!

The irony, was that it took someone who was not raised in my household.....to reach out like family would.

I haven't looked up anyone myself because I don't really do Facebook, so it is pretty pointless for me to use that as a venue to do so.

Maybe this is the case for your family members as well?

My younger sister, several of my brothers-in-law and a host of cousins aren't interested in facebook. Some of them have accounts, but don't use them.

Is is possible that facebook is as pointless to your family members as it is to you?

I have often felt like I was an only child due to my families odd dynamics and this just kind of cemented it more (baby of 9, but the only child of a second marriage for both my parents).

While it might not be ideal, it is not "odd". Part of what I do for a living involves taking "family histories", ie how many relatives you have and what illness they have. The MAJORITY of people do not know if the half-sibs they didn't grow up with have thyroid issues, cancer, or heart problems. They know NOTHING about them except they exist.

I know many people who have older half-sibs who shun them. So :grouphug:, but it isn't bizarre or strange.

BTW, have you thought about friending them first? (Sorry if that is not one "does". I've never looked at face book.)

Maybe this is the case for your family members as well?

My younger sister, several of my brothers-in-law and a host of cousins aren't interested in facebook. Some of them have accounts, but don't use them.

Is is possible that facebook is as pointless to your family members as it is to you?

Yep, they do.