Menu

Classical Conversations...Challenge B for a 7th grader?

Alenee

I am so wishy-washy about whether or not to join CC. I really don't need it other than for fellowship with my two younger dds (So I probably won't do it with them) but I am drawn to it for my 6th grader (will be 7th grade and 12.5 years going into the fall). What I don't like already though are the topics for Challenge A. My 6th grader is doing Apologia Biology at a co-op this year and really holding her own there. She is also using some of the Bible Based Writing Lessons from IEW. She will be using a different math curriculum as well. She has already had three years of Latin and I've seen Latin's Not So Tough. Very easy (which is great) but at this point, those levels would be a waste of time for my dd as a 7th grader. Last but not least, her friends are all in Challenge A this year, moving on to Challenge B. I would LOVE for my dd to be in that group and with that Director. She's amazing and one of my best friends. I feel like it would be a great fit, BUT, is it the norm to put a 7th grader in Challenge B? Is it done?

As a long-term CC person though who has observed the pro and con of this, I've chosen not to do so with my own children. Both of mine are quite capable of that level of work and have used IEW for years and had Latin background, but one went to Challenge A at 12 and one will be starting it at 13. Sometimes being the youngest in the class is a disadvantage, and sometimes it is not. You also have to think about what age they'll be for the higher cores and where this could end up if you plan to continue homeschooling.

Also many campuses allow switching to other tutors during the day for the appropriate math and Latin levels. And CC has changed their Challenge A and B Latin for 2011-2012, so don't make a decision on the basis of Latin's Not So Tough.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got the exact same concerns! My son is only in 5th grade now and I'm not in CC right now but am considering it for next year, doing Foundations/Essentials. But for 7th grade, it doesn't look like Challenge A will work very well for us, for much of the same reasons you mention.

The catalog says something like they purposely do not call the Challenge levels by grade so that you can put your child where they need to be, so I was just assuming we'd probably jump to Challenge B. And the reason I pulled him out of school was that he wasn't challenged, so this seems like the perfect solution to me anyway.

I guess I don't really get why it could be a disadvantage if they are younger, even in the long run? Would love some input on that. Also curious about what Latin program they'll be using, and at what level.