Menu

Review & Focus

Amber in AUS

School has been on hold at my place since 25 September and we need to get back on track. This morning I pulled a few things off the shelf and set to work with with the older 2 and it was a dismal failure. DS doesn't remember anything and DD really struggled. So i can't just start where we left it.

Basically i need to review everything we learnt in the first 3/4 of last year (we work on a calendar year). So K and 1st. My kids simply will not rework what they have already done so that isn't an option. Is there a review book of some kind?

I want to focus on math and LA reviewing what they 'should' already know from the work we have already done and then we will move forward with all the new materials that i have. I also need to do it cheaply seeing as i have already spent a fortune on supplies for the coming year.

Any ideas? Would something like CLE allow acceleration to get us back on track?

I do need to at least get DD back on track because we will be moderated for our homeschooling this year. Meaning someone will be out to the house to review our materials and progress. It is a mandatory requirement in our state and you can't just 'opt out'. :glare:

Edited by Amber in AUS

I dont know what you are using but what about something simple like this or this? If you look online you should be able to find cheap to free sites to review the different concepts. :001_smile:

Or there are the spectrum workbooks that could offer a good review. I believe they come in all subjects

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Basically i need to review everything we learnt in the first 3/4 of last year (we work on a calendar year). So K and 1st. My kids simply will not rework what they have already done so that isn't an option. Is there a review book of some kind?

I do need to at least get DD back on track because we will be moderated for our homeschooling this year. Meaning someone will be out to the house to review our materials and progress. It is a mandatory requirement in our state and you can't just 'opt out'. :glare:

Welcome back, Amber.

Two things here:

First, I am not sure that reviewing is really necessary. In my experience, very little new is added in each year within the primary years, and almost everything is reviewed. So if you learned about nouns or addition in Gr 1, you will most certainly cover both in Gr 2 and Gr 3. In my opinion it would be much easier to add a bit of review to the begininng of a more advanced section than to review separately. And to be honest, unless you are using programmes that incorporate a lot of review, there will be extended periods between covering the same topic in different years, anyway. If they forgot over a break, they will forget from one year to the next! It's still "in there", though, and each review improves recall. That's the nature of learning, as I see it.

Second, unless you have specific information about your moderator to suggest otherwise, I think you are much more concerned than you need to be about that. My moderator was patently disinterested in looking at materials, somewhat interested in seeing what dd was reading & writing, and very interested in chatting to her about a range of topics. Your children won't be tested on what they know, and don't even need to be present. In your shoes, I would simply state how far we got in 2010, say that family circumstances led to a long break, and that we were moving forward to the next level / grade, and reviewing where necessary to make up for the lack of continuity at the end of 2010.

Hope that helps!

Nikki

I hope that wee one is doing well! With babies due around the same time I have thought of you often in the last few months. I imagine it has been one heck of a rollercoaster. I'm glad to see in your siggy that he is home.

I think these Big Books would give a good overview of skills too. Good luck as you get restarted!:D

I would also just move on. The beginning of every year is going to start slow. They are so young. For sure starting with 1st grade books shouldn't be a problem, we don't do any K and have no problems starting with first grade curriculum. I would also guess that if you get 2nd grade books, by the time you are to any tricky parts, they will be back into the swing of school and things will be easier.

Even if they do look bad to the moderator, what happens? In other words is it even worth worrying about? I think you have plenty of other worries ;)