Menu

Crockpot chicken and veggies--for dummies! Help, please!

O.k., I'm not exactly a dummy, but I don't use my crockpot very often. Tomorrow, I'd like to fix small, boneless chicken breasts in it. I have white potatoes, yellow onion, carrots, chicken broth, spices.

Should I throw it all in together and press "Start"? Or should I add the potatoes later? Do you have a tried-and-true meal with these ingredients?

Thank you!

I received a new crockpot for Christmas, found a great cookbook at the library, which led me to this website, Crockpot 365. The website has the same recipes, and it has photos, whereas the book does not.

Look down on the left side of the page for categories, including chicken, and it will take you to a page that lists every chicken recipe. Most call for boneless chicken breast.

I haven't tried anything yet, but I've made a list. (We really need some kind of food smilie!)

O.k., I'm not exactly a dummy, but I don't use my crockpot very often. Tomorrow, I'd like to fix small, boneless chicken breasts in it. I have white potatoes, yellow onion, carrots, chicken broth, spices.
I have a well-learned fear of crock-pot chicken, but you will avoid the issue by using BONELESS chicken. MomsintheGarden cooked bone-in chicken in the crock pot once when we were first married. The bones were so rubbery that you could not easily avoid eating them with the meat. The point here is NEVER include chicken bones in crock pot chicken.
Should I throw it all in together and press "Start"? Or should I add the potatoes later? Do you have a tried-and-true meal with these ingredients?
I vote for throwing it all in and pressing start (on low). I like my carrots and potatoes that mushy, plus it is easier!

Finally, I will recommend that you include more onions than you would in a normal recipe since the crock pot seems to break down the flavors more than other cooking methods.

Good luck with your crock pot chicken!

I received a new crockpot for Christmas, found a great cookbook at the library, which led me to this website, Crockpot 365. The website has the same recipes, and it has photos, whereas the book does not.

Look down on the left side of the page for categories, including chicken, and it will take you to a page that lists every chicken recipe. Most call for boneless chicken breast.

I haven't tried anything yet, but I've made a list. (We really need some kind of food smilie!)

Thanks, Kristine! I'll check that out. Your suggestion also served to remind me that I OWN a crockpot cookbook. Guess I should check it out, too! :tongue_smilie:

I have a well-learned fear of crock-pot chicken, but you will avoid the issue by using BONELESS chicken. MomsintheGarden cooked bone-in chicken in the crock pot once when we were first married. The bones were so rubbery that you could not easily avoid eating them with the meat. The point here is NEVER include chicken bones in crock pot chicken.I vote for throwing it all in and pressing start (on low). I like my carrots and potatoes that mushy, plus it is easier!

Finally, I will recommend that you include more onions than you would in a normal recipe since the crock pot seems to break down the flavors more than other cooking methods.

Thanks, Reg! I appreciate the tips! I'd hate to tell you what I did in the kitchen when first married, but it involves half-cooked turkey, runny scalloped potatoes, and exploding gravy! Fortunately, they weren't all for the same meal! :lol:

Thanks, Reg! I appreciate the tips! I'd hate to tell you what I did in the kitchen when first married, but it involves half-cooked turkey, runny scalloped potatoes, and exploding gravy! Fortunately, they weren't all for the same meal! :lol:
So would MomsintheGarden! :tongue_smilie:

For the record I have just been chastised for posting her crock pot indiscretion of twenty years ago! :blushing:

Also for the record I will state that she is an AMAZING cook today! :001_wub:

ETA: MomsintheGarden says to tell you she recommends that you put the vegetables on the bottom and the meat on the top for them to cook properly. (She puts SOME of the onions on top of the meat.)

Edited by RegGuheert

So would MomsintheGarden! :tongue_smilie:

For the record I have just been chastised for posting her crock pot indiscretion of twenty years ago! :blushing:

Also for the record I will state that she is an AMAZING cook today! :001_wub:

ETA: MomsintheGarden says to tell you she recommends that you put the vegetables on the bottom and the meat on the top for them to cook properly. (She puts SOME of the onions on top of the meat.)

I'm cracking up! Tell Mom to go easy on ya! And tell her thanks for the ideas.

I half expect my dh (Dad 4 Boys) to chime in now and tell you exactly *what* my kitchen funnies (or not-so-funnies!) have been over the years! And he would be quick to add, as you were, that I am an AMAZING cook today! Although that would be a big stretch, he does like very much a number of things that I cook well. Last night's meatloaf being a prime example.

I guess I'd better go get *something* in that crockpot now, or the dinner plan will have to be revamped!

I have a well-learned fear of crock-pot chicken, but you will avoid the issue by using BONELESS chicken. MomsintheGarden cooked bone-in chicken in the crock pot once when we were first married. The bones were so rubbery that you could not easily avoid eating them with the meat. The point here is NEVER include chicken bones in crock pot chicken.

I cook whole chickens (which have bones) in the crock-pot at least once a week. I have never had a problem. The chicken is wonderful and I can use the juices for chicken stock in chili. I do it on low for 10 hours.

I cook whole chickens (which have bones) in the crock-pot at least once a week. I have never had a problem. The chicken is wonderful and I can use the juices for chicken stock in chili. I do it on low for 10 hours.
MomsintheGarden warned me that I would get this response to my post! (How did I manage to marry such an amazing woman? :001_smile:)

She now thinks she must have overcooked it. But the memory of that meal is quite indelible...to the point that the term "crock-pot chicken" is used to this day as a synonym for a bad meal! :D

MomsintheGarden warned me that I would get this response to my post! (How did I manage to marry such an amazing woman? :001_smile:)

She now thinks she must have overcooked it. But the memory of that meal is quite indelible...to the point that the term "crock-pot chicken" is used to this day as a synonym for a bad meal! :D

I apologize for my post bringing up bad memories! :lol: I will choose to think that her chicken was bad somehow, not the method she used to cook it! :D

Dinner was pretty good! I put it all in together on the 6 hr. setting. The chicken was really, really tender; the carrots were done, but still the slightest bit firm; and the potatoes were very done, but not too crumbly.

I did underseason, though, so I'll work on that next time.

Thanks again, everyone!