Menu

What's similar to CLE Reading but secular?

ondreeuh

I'm not religious in any way. I am OK with the Christian content of CLE's LA and math, but the content in the reading program is way outside my comfort zone. I like the type of questions asked in the LUs, and would love to find something secular, or at least less rude towards non-Christians. (An example of what offends me: "Everyone in the world worships something. People who have never heard of the true God worship made-up gods. Those who do not want to worship the true God worship something else. Suppose your family had never heard of the one true God. Suppose every day you and your parents bowed down and prayed to an ugly, wooden idol.")

I've heard Pathway readers are not preachy, but that the workbooks are not worth it. What else is there that I might like?

Thanks Lisa!

I am looking at the Holt Reader worktexts .... I have grade 6 & 8 (Goodwill!) and I like how they're set up. They have an upper elementary program too. Mosdos looks good but $52 is a lot, and I still want him to have time to do other readers (he does not yet read on his own). I guess textbook publishers are probably the best chance for something secular, unless I just want to get a Spectrum workbook and call it good.

(An example of what offends me: "Everyone in the world worships something. People who have never heard of the true God worship made-up gods. Those who do not want to worship the true God worship something else. Suppose your family had never heard of the one true God. Suppose every day you and your parents bowed down and prayed to an ugly, wooden idol.")

Which level/book/LU had this quote? That's awful, and now I have to rethink CLE (again, ugh) or just get my Sharpie ready. :glare:

It's lesson 1 in Reading 305. The rest of the LUs look like more of the same.

One thing I don't understand is this focus on worshiping idols/idolatry. The way CLE puts it, the "savages" (my word, not theirs) think it's the "ugly" wooden/stone/metal idol that holds the powers, and that the idol can see and hear. I'd always understood that idols were used as a representation of a higher power, and that praying to the idol was a way to connect to that higher power (similar to praying to a cross or statue in the Christian faith).

A wiki article on idolatry backs me up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry

"Yehezkel Kaufman (1960) has suggested that when Yahweh gave commandments regarding idolatry he meant it to be understood in its most literal form: according to the Bible, most idolaters really believed that their idols were gods, and Kaufman holds that this is an error in assuming that all idolatry was of this type, when in some cases, idols may have only been representations of gods. Kaufman writes that "We may perhaps say that the Bible sees in paganism only its lowest level, the level of mana-beliefs...the prophets ignore what we know to be authentic paganism (i.e., its elaborate mythology about the origin and exploits of the gods and their ultimate subjection to a meta-divine reservoir of impersonal power representing Fate or Necessity.) Their [the Biblical author's] whole condemnation revolves around the taunt of fetishism." Modern Pagans find this understanding of their religious practices as a stereotyping of their cultural and religious practices by Semitic religions."

Anyway, it makes me really uncomfortable that CLE is reducing indigenous people's belief systems into something that's not accurate.

It's not just in a few questions though - it's the whole theme of the reader and in the instruction written to the student. I don't mind editing on the fly for the LA program, because the content is so slight, but this is practically a bible course wrapped up into the reading program.

Really, it just doesn't sound like a good fit at all, especially if you "aren't religious in any way". I can't imagine using something so religiously conservative if I was adamantly not religious. I'm surprised that you're surprised with the content of CLE honestly. I'm not sure what you were expecting to find.

Susan

I haven't used CLE, but my DD enjoys the older Scott Foresman readers, and the workbooks for those are available as .pdfs online. I got the books from her school, but I know I've seen them on ebay and Amazon pretty cheaply. And they're 100% secular. The stories are pretty good.

It's lesson 1 in Reading 305. The rest of the LUs look like more of the same.

One thing I don't understand is this focus on worshiping idols/idolatry. Anyway, it makes me really uncomfortable that CLE is reducing indigenous people's belief systems into something that's not accurate.

Thank you for sharing the specific passages you mentioned.

I'm uncomfortable with the wording as well especially being part of a religion that is often incorrectly associated with idol worship. I may pray in front of an icon or a statue, but I do not pray to them or feel they are a substitute for the higher power that I would refer to as God.

I'll be watching this thread with interest into CLE Reading alternatives. :bigear:

We are using CLE LA, and just remove any of the religious copywork etc. We start with all levels of HOP and then move to the SL Readers 1, 2 Regular, 2Intermediate and 2Advanced, the only part we skip there is the Bible that is in 2 Regular. You can buy the study guide that has the questions to go with the readers for Core 1 and 2 seperately, beginning in Core 3 you need the IG. I prefer the real books and my libraries carried most before I purchased them (since 4 kids will go through them). :)

I'm not sure what your point is. Telling me that I shouldn't be surprised is not helpful. I asked for suggestions for secular reading programs. It doesn't sound like you have one, so your point is just to jab me?

However, since you asked, I'm surprised because the religious content is so different from that in CLE LA and Math, which I've been using for over a year. I had reason to think that CLE wove examples from the bible into their programs, but didn't know it would be preaching to the child in such a way - oh, those poor savages with their silly idols who are denying the truth!

It's one thing to explain to my child that "The people who write the book believe language is a gift from God." It's quite another to say "the people who wrote this book are totally wrong about how they describe others' beliefs."

Edited by ondreeuh

I'm surprised because the religious content is so different from that in CLE LA and Math, which I've been using for over a year. I had reason to think that CLE wove examples from the bible into their programs, but didn't know it would be preaching to the child in such a way - oh, those poor savages with their silly idols who are denying the truth!

It's one thing to explain to my child that "The people who write the book believe language is a gift from God." It's quite another to say "the people who wrote this book are totally wrong about how they describe others' beliefs."

Yes, it is different from their Math (although they still manage to make arithmetic Godly, lol). There website is very reflective of their beliefs though. The front page itself has a link to "tracts" for purchase, & imo the reading samples seem very conservatively religious. I'm sorry your experience was bad. I agree skipping the religious aspects with this program would leave you with a great deal unused & your description of it as a "bible study" is very accurate. You have to remember, this religious group finds saying the pledge of allegience as an act of idoltary, so that is where their mindet is coming from.

Susan

I happen to think the Pathway Readers are wonderful. We are a secular family and they are perfectly fine. I also really like the workbooks. There are two pages for each story. The first page is called Working with Words. They introduce the new words and there are varying exercises to help the child learn the words. The second page is for story comprehension. I would use these over Spectrum workbooks for sure!

I can post some photos of a few pages if anyone is interested.

PASS is the second best literature program I've found; it's secular. Take a look at PASS in Language Arts AND English. I believe it's unit 6 in each of these. If you email them, they will send you the email password for the answer keys. It's all FREE! You can also buy the booklets too.

http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Special%20Documents/Book%20Subject%20Areas.aspx

Edited by MIch elle

I actually have 2000 textbooks, but the stories appear to be the same as in the 2002 and the 2004, with each subsequent edition adding more test prep and extra stuff (which we skip). The 2000 textbooks don't seem to cost more than about $5-$6 used.

The teaching materials are available here. I think they're officially for the 2004.

http://www.sfreading.com/teachers.html

Edited by Dmmetler2

• 1 month later...
I'm not religious in any way. I am OK with the Christian content of CLE's LA and math, but the content in the reading program is way outside my comfort zone. I like the type of questions asked in the LUs, and would love to find something secular, or at least less rude towards non-Christians. (An example of what offends me: "Everyone in the world worships something. People who have never heard of the true God worship made-up gods. Those who do not want to worship the true God worship something else. Suppose your family had never heard of the one true God. Suppose every day you and your parents bowed down and prayed to an ugly, wooden idol.")

I've heard Pathway readers are not preachy, but that the workbooks are not worth it. What else is there that I might like?

:blink: I also saw one about the makers of the Titanic not glorifying God. Thanks for helping me make my decision! Did you find anything that is working for you? :lurk5: