science: Spectrum Chemistry

math: Saxon Algebra

history: AOP LifePac

english: Abeka 10

lit: Abeka 10

spelling/vocab: SWR, Word Roots, English from Roots Up

foreign language: Spanish

arts: piano, art appreciation

I'm not completely sold on Spectrum for chemistry yet. I know I do not want to use BJU or Apologia.

Am I missing anything?

You might want to consider a back up for Spectrum. They have a great program , but their customer service stinks. They used to be carried by Rainbow Resource Catalog, but now are trying to handle things themselves and have gotten in over their heads. We ordered it around Thanksgiving. They still haven't even cashed the check. We have called multiple times, but they never answer their phone and don't return calls. We don't know whether a package is even coming. Just a heads up.

Thanks!! I am not completely convinced I want to use the Spectrum program. And poor customer service would swing the decision for sure. Do you have any other ideas? I found BJU Biology ridiculously difficult to teach so I am not looking at their chemistry program. Neither dd nor I like Apologia for high school. Any other options out there?

Re: Spectrum ... There's no excuse for not returning calls ... and I see one of their programs for younger kids is still not shipping ... but I just want to mention that we've had great customer service. I placed two orders last summer, one for a textbook & the lab equipment/chemicals, another ordering a second textbook/manual -- and everything arrived within a week -- and we're on the opposite coast. I did pay by credit card (or was it PayPal?) through their website, so perhaps sending a check slowed things down?? ... anyway I hope you get your stuff soon ...

~Laura

Re: Spectrum ... There's no excuse for not returning calls ... and I see one of their programs for younger kids is still not shipping ... but I just want to mention that we've had great customer service. I placed two orders last summer, one for a textbook & the lab equipment/chemicals, another ordering a second textbook/manual -- and everything arrived within a week -- and we're on the opposite coast. I did pay by credit card (or was it PayPal?) through their website, so perhaps sending a check slowed things down?? ... anyway I hope you get your stuff soon ...

~Laura

I too ordered some chemicals, which came in good time. That was almost a year ago, so not sure if things have changed since then....

• 2 weeks later...

You might check out Plato/CyberEd for science -- you have to go through the Homeschool Buyers coop to get in on their group purchase but we are using it this year for Biology and so far it's working well for my 9th grader.

We tried Word Roots and I thought it was a waste of time. There was no explanation of the roots at all, so it was like a matching game with almost no actual instruction. I wouldn't waste my time or money on it again. Just my thoughts there. :-)

I'm not completely sold on Spectrum for chemistry yet. I know I do not want to use BJU or Apologia.

Am I missing anything?

What Spanish will you be using?

What's the difference between Word Roots and English from the Roots Up?

My oldest did the LifePac History and said it was boring! That's just his point, but he just didn't like it--too workbooky! But some kids like the workbook stuff (I did when I was in school). Have you looked at CLE (Christian Light Education)? They have the same idea....I've heard people say they're more interesting. Someone else that's used it would have to tell you the differences. It looks like their 10th Grade History is World History overview from Ancient to modern.

Anyway, LifePacs may be just fine, just thought I'd mention CLE.

Here are my tentative plans:

Math: TT--either Algebra 2 or Geometry, not sure which one to do first

Bible: MFW

History: MFW

English/Lit/Writing: MFW

Foreign Language: Visual Link Spanish 2 and 3? (I think she'll be starting 2 soon, so we'll just go to the next level when she's done and see where we get)

Arts: piano, voice, Harmony Fine Arts for 10th grade (possibly, since I already have it)

We're pretty sure on the MFW and VL. The other stuff we'll have to work with to finalize.

Am I missing anything?

Typically algebra is done before chemistry... but other than that I think it looks good.

Brindee,

I read lots of your posts & value your input.

I've been looking at MWF, but have been having trouble making a final decision. My dd did Sonlight 100 & 300 (8th & 9th grades). We own core 400.

Have you used MFW for high school? Thoughts?

Katrina

Awww, thank you! Yes, my dd is doing MFW Ancient History this year. We both love it! I love how it's all laid out! I think some that like to make their own plans don't like that aspect. But if that is the case, it can be changed up to their liking, in case anyone wonders. DD likes it too, it's really helped her dig deeper into the Bible and meanings of words and texts. She hadn't done much writing, but with the way they explain things, she's done very well with the required papers, and I am so relieved/happy about that! We have the time together to discuss what she's doing, and work through any problems and discuss ideas and what was accomplished. I like that!

DD prefers to work fairly independently. I have been more hands-off this year than ever, and she's doing so well! The reading, papers, and all that's involved have inspired her to work harder and well.

Honestly I can't say enough about how well it's going for her! I am thrilled! It may not work as well for other kids. I don't know if my ds17 would do as well with this program, but it fits dd to a T.

We will be doing MFW next year for 10th as well. I hope it works out as well then, too!

I can highly recommend it, as you can tell! :D But, you'd need to do the research into what may work best for your child and their personality, likes, interests. If you already have the SL Core that would be used for 10th, then you'd certainly save money just going with it! Have you used the Sonlight? Does it work well with this child? If so, you may not want to fix what aint broke, ya know?! If they or you have struggled with Sonlight, then that's certainly a legitimate reason to look around for something that may fit better. In that case, you may really like to try MFW!

If cost is a concern, TruthQuest also has very interesting curriculum. Well, it's really guides. I love their thoughts. I ended up with MFW because it pulls so much together and makes it seamless, interesting, and all laid out for you! TQ would be pulling more sources for yourself and putting it together. But there is a Yahoo group that helps with that, from what I hear.

So, there's my long answer! :D If you have more questions, or I didn't answer what you wanted to know, let me know!

My concern with the Core 400, I've read it's really dry, plus it's supposed to be upper level. I'm concerned about boring her to death, or overloading her. We need a US History credit, so the Core 400 is Am Govt & I've been told it could be used for both.

This high school experience is all new for us & I want it to be the best possible. She's done really well with Sonlight, other than, we lack the writing. We've been working to improve that. She works well on her own.

For 10th she'll have for sure: German II (Powerglide), Biology (BJU), Algebra II (Lial's), that's as far as I've gotten.

If we wanted to do the MFW for US History, which one would you recommend? Have you used either of those? I like it being complete, vs just a guide, sounds like it's like Sonlight in that way.

Thanks for your help.

Katrina

Am I missing anything?

Typically algebra is done before chemistry... but other than that I think it looks good.
Spectrum has "Bridge Math" which many people do over the summer before doing the Chemistry class. It helps get concepts that are needed when going through their Chem class. If I did Specturm Chem. with dd I'd do the Bridge math first to make sure she was ready!

Only requirement is Algebra 1. For the book, teacher's helper, a scientific calculator and heavy-duty mechanical pencils it's $36. We wouldn't need the calc, though I might get the pencils, so it'd be less than $30. Well worth it, it seems to me! :D