math: Saxon 76

grammar: AG 2nd unit

spelling: SWR cont

science: Apologia General

history: SOTW vol 4 cont. plus Hakim's History of US plus readers

writing: Jump In

foreign language: Spanish

arts: violin, ballet, art appreciation

I need a grammar supplement for AG since it will take us 1 semester to finish. Any other thoughts?

This is the first time I've put my plan in writing. Sometimes it helps to see it staring back at me:001_huh:

math: MUS Pre-Algebra

LA: LL7, WW7, and a bit of SL Core 7

science: BJU Life Science

history: SL Core 7

foreign language: RS Spanish

arts: Flute, music theory

PE: gymnastics

I think she could use some specific writing instruction, but I'm not sure what. She has done Jump In already, but her writing doesn't seem to be living up to the potential she showed when she was younger.

Holly - My 7th grade DD is using AG. She completed season 1 at the end off 6th grade. This year, she started off using the "Reinforcement and Review" book. There are 18 exercises, 2 pages each for season 1. Each exercise comes from a different piece of literature (Mary Poppins, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Jaberwocky, etc.) My DD enjoyed it so much that we ended up getting many of the books from the library so that she could read the whole story.

Now she is working through season 2 and spends 2 days on each exercise. When she completes season 2, she will go back to the review book before starting season 3 in 8th grade.

The author suggests using the review book for periodic review after you finish a season. We take longer to do a season and then do the review more frequently until it's done.

HTH,

Margie

This is what I'm dreaming of for my 7th grader next year:

Math - Saxon 8/7

LA - probably more cursive practice just cuz this is soooo painful for him! Continue with WWE, Progymnastmata from Angus Dei

History - Medieval History from LPH (with younger sister who'll be 5th grade)

Literature - RA with younger sister as well as selection of some biographies/historical fiction from Medieval period; also thinking of doing Movies and Literature

Science - perhaps Life Science

Latin - con't with Latin for Children

Holly, I haven't used AG, but if I were looking for a supplement, I might look at Mary Daly's Whole Book of Diagramming (or something like that!). Slowing AG down sounds like a great idea too!

Do you want this to be a 7th grade thread? I didn't see any other 7th grade planning threads yet.... and we must all be planning next year, right? :D

I agree Momto2Ns - it helps to see it "in print."

I'm considering....

TOG 2/3 (early modern) for history, literature, some writing

GWG 7 for Grammar

SWO F/G for Spelling

CLE 6 for Math

Visual LInk Spanish

Science - ?????? This is always the thorn in my side.... possibly God's Design (and use it with everyone) OR BJU 6 (and let 4th grader tag along) or BJU 7.... which I have to admit I am scared of! I would probably go for BJU's DVDs because I would love for him to benefit from someone else's knowledge and enthusiasm for science! I just don't have it! And, I guess Rainbow is a contender too. :tongue_smilie:

Art of Argument - maybe - we were supposed to start it this year and I keep pushing it aside. I need Jim Weiss to record it :lol:!

Plus - Bible Study Fellowship - Acts, Competitive Chess, Swim team this summer, and a no homework CO-OP w/ P.E. and basketball team.

Well it's still early, but this is what I'm imagining:

Language Arts - MCT

Math - Horizons 7 plus LOF pre-algebra/Economics

Science - Basic Text (maybe Holt for 7th graders) plus Nancy Larson Science

History - Notgrass American History for Middle School

Writing - Jump In or Writeshop, not sure, still researching this

Lit -- Lightning Lit 8 (I consider this a 1 semester course) plus Progeny Press Guides. I MAY look at Mosdos Lit for 7th graders instead of Progeny.

Health - Switched on Schoolhouse CD for middle schoolers

My tentative schedule for my 7th grader is:

math: TT7 - we currently use MM and will be finishing that up probably over the summer...so will need to move into a something else...TT seems to be what I'm leaning towards.

language arts: GWG7; Vocab from Classical Roots A

writing: Writeshop

literature: either progeny press guides OR LL7 or something like progeny press guides - right now classical worktexts seem to be what works best for him.

Science: General Science - any suggestions?? I was going to go with apologia but so far I'm doing apologia with my 8th grader and I'm LOATHING it as is she....

history - SOTW 2 and History of US plus readers

logic:??? - that's my husband's department not mine :tongue_smilie:

French

piano, art and baseball

tentative for my 7th grade DS next year:

Math: finish algebra 1, he probably won't get done this spring; then do some number theory or continue algebra

Science: continue with Conceptual Physics (Hewitt) which we started this month

English/History: Great books logic - 1600-1850ish

(no reading list yet)

Latin Cambridge Latin II if he sticks with it

not sure about electives - he is interested in programming

Thank you all for posting your plans! We were originally going to send our girls back to Catholic school (they went for preschool-3rd/4th school) for middle school and high school, but decided to keep homeschooling until high school (they'll go to Catholic high school).

For PE, do you think my daughters' ballet schedules are enough?

DD12 -- Mon-1hr technique, 1hr pointe; Wed-1.5hrs technique, 1hr jazz; Fri-1.5hrs pointe

DD11 -- Tues/Thurs-1.5hrs technique; Fri-1.5hrs technique (will be going on pointe in Feb), 1hr jazz

My mother is from Panama. I'm bilingual, but learned it all in high school. Can anyone recommend a good Spanish curriculum? I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything. Thanks!

Here are our plans so far for the next year, with an * beside those choices that are tentatively made at this point.

BIBLE

Bible Quest: Words of Wisdom *

HISTORY/LITERATURE/WORLDVIEW

TOG - YR-2 Units 3 & 4

(We are doing 2 weeks per 1 week plan. This will cover mainly early American history. We plan to continue with American history for 8th grade, with one term focused on our own regional history & geography.)

GEOGRAPHY

Welcome Wonderful World of Geography (Runkle) *

LANGUAGE ARTS

R&S English 6 (Supplemented with TOG WA's for comp)

SP and VFCR (A)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

TMM French *

MATH

TT Pre Alg and LOF Pre-Alg w/Economics

SCIENCE

Apologia Gen Science

LOGIC

Thinking Toolbox * and possibly Mind Benders

ARTS

Continue on with same guitar lesson program and our weekly customized art lessons

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

My mother is from Panama. I'm bilingual, but learned it all in high school. Can anyone recommend a good Spanish curriculum? I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything. Thanks!

I'm really liking Breaking the Spanish Barrier. Since you speak Spanish, you might also find his tips for "The Ideal Lesson Plan" on the website helpful. You could start both girls together with Level 1, I'd think, since they're so close together in age. I'm using Level 2 with my 12yo twins and two of their friends. I used Spanish Now! before that, but I hated its level 2, so we switched.

Thank you! Do you think the teacher manual is necessary? I'm not seeing how to order it, but it is mentioned on the site. We won't need testing material -- my mom will just refuse to speak to the kids in English. She does that often any way though. My 3 year old says "abre" instead of "open" and "mas" instead of "more" -- my poor gringo husband! Maybe I'll teach him along with our girls. ;)

Next year, we are planning on using the following for my 7th grade ds:

Math: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra with the chalkdust for less books, I doubt we'll get completely through both, but we will at least get started on Pre-Algebra

Science: Chemistry experiments at home and a Life Science at a coop

History: American History with misc books and activities that I am pulling together from all over.

English: AG season 2, Write Shop 1, Spelling Workout H and Vocab from Classical Roots A, and American literature to match history and historical fiction

At a coop: Spanish 1, Intro to Computers, PE, and Drama

This is the first time I've put my plan in writing. Sometimes it helps to see it staring back at me:001_huh:

math: MUS Pre-Algebra

LA: LL7, WW7, and a bit of SL Core 7

science: BJU Life Science

history: SL Core 7

foreign language: RS Spanish

arts: Flute, music theory

PE: gymnastics

What is WW7? Thanks.

Danielle

My 6th and 7th grader will do (pending changing my mind lol):

Language Arts: TOG Year 3 dialectic literature; MCT Voyage Level; Finish SWR

Math: Depends on where we finish this year but most likely finish up Singapore 6B, Life of Fred Pre-Algebra (6th grader most likely will do Life of Fred Algebra and AOPS Beginning Algebra)

Science: Exploring the Way Life Works and The Way We Work supplemented with Digital Frog and Junior Master Gardener Club.

(would like some ideas for other hands on)

History/Worldview/Fine Arts: TOG Year 4, Dialectic

Latin: (no idea -using Latin For Children Level A this year)

Logic: Critical Thinking Level 1

Economics: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy and workbook

Supplement: Swimming and/or Dance, Girl Scouts and American Heritage Scouts, Church Band, Junior Master Gardeners; Socially oriented Co-Op class and other support group activities; Newsletter reporter;

Here is my (incomplete) plan.

Math: Start Video text Algebra. We'll see how fast we'll go. I

I am considering working through RS Geometry. Will this be too easy for 7th grade?

English: Voyages in English 7, Wordsmith, SWO F/G, Literature ala WTM

German: Continue with RS. He will be in Level 2. We also speak German in the afternoons. I may add some structured reading.

Spanish: don't know yet

History: SOTW 3 incl. outlining, other readings, projects

Science: ala WTM using various sources, kits, movies

Music: Piano; need something to keep me on track for music appreciation

Art: don't know yet

Philosophy for kids - maybe

Logic - continue with mindbenders for now

Any input is appreciated.

Susie

Here are our seventh grade plans:

Bible - OT Challenge

LLATL - Green Book

Rod & Staff English 6

Rod & Staff Math 7

LOF Pre-Algebras

Greg Landry Pre-Physics Online class

Friendly Chemistry

Ancient History (Greenleaf & Notgrass WH (book spread out over 3 years))

What Ever Happened to Penny Candy? (economics)

Rosetta Stone French (level 1)

Violin & Viola with orchestra

Team tennis w/local tennis club

Junior AWANA leader