Menu

The Great Library Protest, January 31, 10 AM - 2 PM

If you're within driving distance, consider joining us for the Great Williamsburg Library Protest on Scotland Street. All of us with cards will use the last day of their validity to check out every single book that we're allowed to take. We hope to demonstrate just what a big part of the library system we are.

January 31, 10 AM to 2 PM. T-shirts provided by PHP. :001_smile: If you can come, post and I'll contact you with more details.

SWB

Hey, that's my birthday! :D

Susan, I wish I had a WRL card. I seriously would come. Your idea to max out the cards is wonderful! I love it!

Let's see... my family has five cards X 50 items = 250 items. Yes, we'd make a little dent, but every bit counts.

AND, we'd RENEW the items as long as possible. Do you know if you'll all be able to renew the items past a certain date?

Good luck with your protest! FWIW, I'd still boycott Williamsburg. :toetap05: No bookies, no cookies, man.

Especially in light of WRL's response: I am glad you will be able to use the services of the Richmond Public Library.

Are you really glad? I feel the love.

Edited by Sahamamama

Hey, Chris, if you come I'll, er, sign your books or your kids or ANYTHING you want!!

T-shirts will say on the front:

ALL WE ARE SAYING

IS

GIVE FEES A CHANCE

and I can't find the thread where someone on this WONDERFUL board first suggested that, so identify yourself and take credit.

On the back:

WILLIAMSBURG REGIONAL LIBRARY

HAS TAKEN OUR CARDS AWAY

WE WANT THEM BACK

Hey, Chris, if you come I'll, er, sign your books or your kids or ANYTHING you want!!

ALL WE ARE SAYING

IS

GIVE FEES A CHANCE

and I can't find the thread where someone on this WONDERFUL board first suggested that, so identify yourself and take credit.

On the back:

HAS TAKEN OUR CARDS AWAY

WE WANT THEM BACK

The brilliant author is Kalanamak! :D

While I am not located anywhere near the protest site I will stage my own event. We will use the time period to go to our library and also check out the maximum number of allowed books.

I found out from my librarian that we have NO limit on books that we can check out. Limits on other stuff, yes. Books, no...

So, I'm not going to try that here. lol

ALL WE ARE SAYING

IS

GIVE FEES A CHANCE

On the back:

HAS TAKEN OUR CARDS AWAY

WE WANT THEM BACK

Susan, you are my heroine,

but you ain't touchin' my booKs. :D

ETA: In all seriousness, I might be there. Where would you be standing/setting up?

Edited by Chris in VA

Williamsburg currently provides library services to out-of-town folks who don't pay taxes to support the library. This is a huge privilege.

I grew up in Massachusetts in a town that had a great library system. When we moved to the neighboring town, my family lost the privilege of using that library. Our new town didn't support the superior library financially, so we didn't have access to it.

I appreciate the fact that the WRL is the best library system in the area. The library is the primary reason why we chose to live in Williamsburg. When we were new to the area, I walked into the library and fell in love with it!

Can you petition your county to support the Williamsburg library system financially and thereby buy into the system? Yorktown has such an agreement in place, so its residents can use the library.

I just read SWB's blog...wow, the folks in charge of the Williamsburg library forgot to engage their brains--and they obviously do not *know* you, Susan. Anyone who shows up regularly at the library with laundry baskets to carry home books should be welcomed with open arms and a parade! Short-sighted, they are very short-sighted.

I wish I lived in the area. I'd be there on the 31st.

Thank you for the link, kalanamak.

My ex-library adopted this same policy several years ago. Although I now resent and hate this library system, I do understand the policy. Non-city residents do not pay taxes that support the library, so they cut us off. They do allow us to buy a library card for $50 a year, which I declined; but I appreciate the offer.

So I understand and share Susan's frustration, but I understand why the library felt forced to do this.

So I understand and share Susan's frustration, but I understand why the library felt forced to do this.

It's entirely understandable that Williamsburg doesn't have the funds to let out-of-county residents use the library for free. What is not understandable is why they are not considering a fee-based system, which is a very common way to solve this problem. A library can usually charge more for a non-resident card than it gets from a resident in taxes, and turn a bit of a profit. Everybody wins.

Now, if the Williamsburg library board members have good reasons for not instituting a fee-based system, then they could just explain those reasons, but so far they've just been stonewalling instead, which isn't really appropriate for a government body. It's particularly ironic that it's a library, given that a key part of the purpose of public libraries is to give all citizens, regardless of income or status, the ability to scrutinize their leaders and government.

Oh, I just remembered--I am leading a bible study on Mondays, and will be having class until 11:30, so I don't think I can drive down in time.

I don't know why I can't hold two things in my mind at once! :glare:

I'll be with you in spirit--pics and results, I suspect, will appear on SWB's blog!

Here's hoping for a little sanity from the People In Charge.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/Thousands-losing-check-out-privileges-at-Williamsburg-Regional-Library-113356569.html

Here's a link to a video interview w/ SWB. This report quotes the library's reason for not allowing a fee-based card as "philosophical."

(Susan--is it possible that this library is small & maybe some donor $$ is linked to limiting access to the books? Iow, somebody w/ $ thinks the books/person ratio is too low w/ out-of-county residents included? Or maybe they're just tired of hitting the same point in history as other hs'ers! ;))

On to the discussion of "philosophy" & how that word could possibly be related to a public library's witholding of patron privileges. :confused:

Aubrey,

I'm with you on "philosophy," especially since no one can explain what that philosophy IS.

As far as the library size: this is one of the largest public libraries in the area. The operating budget of the WRL system is only slightly smaller than the ENTIRE OPERATING BUDGET of Charles City County, where I live.

SWB

Would you have any interest in having those of us who can't be there write emails/letters on your behalf? Either directly to the library, or to you so you can print them and bring them to the library to leave off with them while you check out your books?

ETA: I also meant to say I love your protest ideas! And good luck!

Would you have any interest in having those of us who can't be there write emails/letters on your behalf...

Certainly! To the Board of Trustees, and please also send me a copy so that I can collect them for the media. THANK YOU.

SWB

P.S. I just wanted to add one thing...I know that many people on this board are struggling with immediate, life-changing, serious crises...and I wanted to thank you for your indulgence as I go on and on about this issue which, while important, is not life-changing.

Actually I think it is pretty life-changing for many people. Not as traumatic or difficult as many of the things folks here are dealing with, but libraries are supposed to be where citizens can go to educate themselves. Libraries do change lives, and to have that access denied changes them too.

Aubrey,

I'm with you on "philosophy," especially since no one can explain what that philosophy IS.

As far as the library size: this is one of the largest public libraries in the area. The operating budget of the WRL system is only slightly smaller than the ENTIRE OPERATING BUDGET of Charles City County, where I live.

SWB

There are philosophical arguments about the whole fee thing. If you can access online archives of Library Journal or other library periodicals, you might be able to find pieces on the issue. Usually the question is something like--is it right to charge fees for what is supposed to be (as far as possible) a free public service? What about people who can't afford $50-100 per year?--it's not fair to deny them based on income when libraries are supposed to not discriminate on the basis of income. Would it not be better for residents to invest in libraries in their own localities?

IMO, practically speaking fees solve a real problem. In a perfect world, all libraries could afford to be free to everyone, and all counties would invest funds in an excellent public library. Here in reality, fees make it possible to at least offer services to more people than would otherwise be able to use the library, and you could always put a need-based program in place for those who can't afford the fee.

There are philosophical arguments about the whole fee thing. If you can access online archives of Library Journal or other library periodicals, you might be able to find pieces on the issue. Usually the question is something like--is it right to charge fees for what is supposed to be (as far as possible) a free public service? What about people who can't afford $50-100 per year?--it's not fair to deny them based on income when libraries are supposed to not discriminate on the basis of income. Would it not be better for residents to invest in libraries in their own localities?

In case the board of trustees decides to read this, lol--my county does out-of-county fees on a sliding scale. I believe it's based on property tax/rent? There's a min & max, but it's not simply books for the rich & not for the poor.

I was thinking about the idea of libraries in one's own locality. If it's rural, that might just not be practical at all, but let's suppose it's just smallish. I think there should be some kind of system for a big library system to wean smaller areas off of themselves. This could range from instituting fees at first, maybe a little more ea year for the first x years. And those fees could be waived for patrons who have donated x dollars to their own system, to help it get started. Maybe there could be a $/book drive to help the smaller system get started.

In the end, I think it's in everyone's best interest to work out a solution. We've got smaller cities included in our big city system, & in our case, it's the small cities that have the good books. Go figure.

I've never wanted to go to VA more than I do 1/31, lol. Gosh, I love a good protest. And I love books. And I *still* think it's amazing that they'll let you have books from the library without handing over your cc (at least, until they're late, lol).

A little more on the issue: many librarians feel that charging fees for service is inherently discriminatory. It's possible that some people on the WRL board feel that it's better to deny service to all non-residents than to disallow only poor non-residents, if they have to make a choice. In that case I don't know why a sliding scale can't be used, but someone may feel that any pressure at all about money would be wrong. (More wrong than denying service to 6000 users?)

This is from Library Journal, "For Love or Money," 9/15/2010, in an article about charging fees for specific services:

Nancy Simerl, manager of the Sherburne Public Library, NY, believes fee-based services may turn away those who need them most. "Nothing about our library is useful to this community if the folks in greatest need are afraid or ashamed to come into the building because of cash-flow issues."

Tricia Perry, of the Mills Public Library, MN, has seen that happen first-hand. "I remain opposed to the imposition of fees for we never really know what someone's socioeconomic reality is," she says. "Even charging for museum passes; at $1, it seems a nominal fee. But when the woman who was reserving the pass whispered to me, 'I'm sorry, but I just lost my job last week--is there any way that the fee can be waived?' I went to our library director and within days, the fee--however nominal--was eliminated."

My quick search didn't turn up anything recent on non-resident fees, but I didn't look very hard. If WRL has subscriptions to EBSCO databases (specifically Academic Search Premier and ERIC), you could all do searches on the issue in all the library periodicals you can find.

This is great! I just shared it on my facebook page.

Delegate Barlow sent us a copy of a letter the Library of VA sent his office. It basically states that the library has the right to deny a card to anyone out of its designated region. This is in spite of the fact that we are helping to support the library with our tax money.

To add to the misery, our little town's librarian informed me our county is cutting their funding. Our library is the size of a large living room.

Nancy Simerl, manager of the Sherburne Public Library, NY, believes fee-based services may turn away those who need them most. "Nothing about our library is useful to this community if the folks in greatest need are afraid or ashamed to come into the building because of cash-flow issues."
(lifted from your quote)

Doesn't this seem kinda stupid? They are already turning away people by saying they can't come AT ALL. How is that better than instituting a fee-based system for people that would have NO access under the current plan? They could waive the fee for those who can't pay it. And if they are afraid that it would cause shame to those who can't pay it, that it would require them to face the fact that they can't pay it and ASK FOR HELP, well, to me, that's just what responsible people do!

So, her argument seems to be, Let's prevent people from asking for help and from feeling bad by just denying ALL access.

It's just frustrating and stupid to me.

(lifted from your quote)

Doesn't this seem kinda stupid? They are already turning away people by saying they can't come AT ALL. How is that better than instituting a fee-based system for people that would have NO access under the current plan? They could waive the fee for those who can't pay it. And if they are afraid that it would cause shame to those who can't pay it, that it would require them to face the fact that they can't pay it and ASK FOR HELP, well, to me, that's just what responsible people do!

So, her argument seems to be, Let's prevent people from asking for help and from feeling bad by just denying ALL access.

It's just frustrating and stupid to me.

Well, that quotation was about fees for services, not non-resident fees. For example, charging $1 for entertainment DVDs or something like that. Ideally you wouldn't charge fees like that and no one would feel left out, and you'd either get along without the money or do something different--the article suggested an option at the automatic check-out machines to 'round up' fines, which would be confidential and voluntary.

I don't know what the WRL is thinking, I'm just throwing out a couple of suggestions for the protestors to follow up on if they'd like to, so they know what the issues are.

Dh insisted that I post on his behalf. He likes protests, too.

He thinks that after maxing out your cards, you should immediately return the books, rinse, repeat.

I think it's brilliantly devious, but...might be a bit too far. :001_huh: Librarians scare me. Angry librarians REALLY scare me. :leaving:

Dh insisted that I post on his behalf. He likes protests, too.

He thinks that after maxing out your cards, you should immediately return the books, rinse, repeat.

I think it's brilliantly devious, but...might be a bit too far. :001_huh: Librarians scare me. Angry librarians REALLY scare me. :leaving:

I love your DH's sense of humor!!!!! Angry librarians scare me too