Menu

To Aunty M and the others about preparations for economic bad times.

Faithmanor-thanks so much for sharing. We are just getting started on this journey and have alot to learn.

How much did the wood boiler cost..do you mind me asking? Did you have the pipes for the floor installed after your home was built?

What is your pig set up like? Pretty basic or do you have them in a barn?

How did you learn everything? We feel overwhelmed on where to start. We have 4 acres of woods...it seems hard to figure out the most cost effective way of clearing the land..any suggestions?

buy the Encyclopedia of Country living by Carla Emery. This phone directory sized book has everything you'd ever want to know about sustainable living. Then read it. Start small.

The biggest thing is overcoming your own personal fear of putting your hands into a beehive full of bees. every single time either DH or I get stung. My DH likens the overcoming the fear part to jumping out of an aeroplane for skydiving and finds it very exciting(:glare:men). I don't find it that exciting

I am actually allergic to bees, so my dh would have to do most of the care of the hive. That, or I guess I could buy one of those "bee suits.". I would love to have fresh honey.

krista

Dear wannabe daughters, Please note that while I'd love to have you here and yes my life is rich and fulfilling, it is not glamorous!

Faith

Thank you for putting in this part too. I grew up, let's say rural (think Clampetts). While it is fulfilling and I have many useful skills it is about as far from easy and glamorous as it is possible to get.