Menu

Calling Dr. Hive: Broken Fingers

I mashed my pinky and ring finger a couple of hours ago. They are swollen from the last knuckle to the finger tip and there is lots of bruising under the nail. normally I would not worry about it, but the pain is excruciating (as in making me nauseous it hurts so bad). Does this warrant a trip to the urgent care in the morning? Would they even be able to do anything if they are broken?

TIA

Generally my test is, if you can bend them, then no trip. (But I don't have insurance).

Lara

Well one seems bendable, the other I don't dare to try just yet. I have had lots of injuries before, including broken bones, and nothing has ever hurt this bad. I will try the bend test on the pinky later, when I am feeling more brave. :tongue_smilie:

I mashed my pinky and ring finger a couple of hours ago. They are swollen from the last knuckle to the finger tip and there is lots of bruising under the nail. normally I would not worry about it, but the pain is excruciating (as in making me nauseous it hurts so bad). Does this warrant a trip to the urgent care in the morning? Would they even be able to do anything if they are broken?

TIA

Yes, I'd go. Sounds like you have a subungual hematoma, which can be easily drained in the ER or Urgent Care clinic. They will probably xray your fingers to look for fractures. Subungual hematomas are really, really painful, and draining them usually relieves the pain quickly.

I just broke my pinkie and ring finger last week! In my case, I tripped on a very uneven sidewalk (that will teach me for looking ahead instead of down), fell forward onto my outstretched hand, bending my fingers backward. Horrible pain, thought I would pass out. I am now in a splint, and it's still somewhat painful. My wedding ring is gone, had to be cut off due to the swelling.

Definitely go if you are in a lot of pain. BTW, I am pecking this out with one hand!

Veronica

You mentioned there is a lot of bruising under the nail. The pain could be from a subungal hematoma (blood collection under the nail). This can cause exquisite pain...usually worse than an actual fracture. Treatment is drilling a hole in the nail to release the blood. A fracture under the nailbed should be ruled out before drilling a hole in the nail (you do not want an open pathway for bacteria that leads right to a fracture).

You mentioned there is a lot of bruising under the nail. The pain could be from a subungal hematoma (blood collection under the nail). This can cause exquisite pain...usually worse than an actual fracture. Treatment is drilling a hole in the nail to release the blood. A fracture under the nailbed should be ruled out before drilling a hole in the nail (you do not want an open pathway for bacteria that leads right to a fracture).

If you really want a drill you can do it at home. :D It's not as bad as it sounds. They have a little popper thing and it will feel so much better!

If you really want a drill you can do it at home. :D It's not as bad as it sounds. They have a little popper thing and it will feel so much better!

I agree, and I'd do it to myself. However, since there is a possibility of a fracture, I wouldn't recommend it, as it theoretically converts a closed fracture to an open fracture. I think she should have xrays first.

Of course! I hope she knew I was kidding about doing it yourself. Thanks Perry for making it clear.

My dh has done it to himself using a paper clip and a flame. He's also given himself a digital block and sewed up a finger laceration.

He always hurts himself when I'm out of town. Otherwise I'd have done it for him. :D

I agree, and I'd do it to myself. However, since there is a possibility of a fracture, I wouldn't recommend it, as it theoretically converts a closed fracture to an open fracture. I think she should have xrays first.

My dh has done it to himself using a paper clip and a flame. He's also given himself a digital block and sewed up a finger laceration.

He always hurts himself when I'm out of town. Otherwise I'd have done it for him. :D

If I wasn't nauseous before, I certainly am NOW! Blech! :lol:

The pain is a bit more manageable at the moment. I am going to take another dose of Motrin before bed and see how it is in the morning. I didn't eat dinner, so I am having some Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey to make me feel better. :D

I am doing this one handed too! You are doing a great job! I am sorry about your fall, but glad it was not worse.

I was trying to get a for sale sign back up in the yard of a client. The part of the sign with our agency's name on it had come loose from the frame. WHen I used all the strength I had to slam that sign in the ground my last 3 finger tips got mashed into the hard metal edge. I did go on to get the sign up with the "Reduced Price" rider attached, the flyer box installed and filled. The whole way home I debated on going home or to the urgent care, but dh had to leave for work shortly.

Oh well, I bet eventually I am going to loose these two finger nails, so I can go buy myself some pretty bandaids to cover that ugliness up. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Ladies, for the hugs, commiseration, and advice.