Menu

Nancy Larson Science?

Guest lahmeh

DH gave me the "go ahead" on ordering Nancy Larson science today! I've been waiting a couple of months so WHY CAN'T I JUST HIT THE PLACE ORDER BUTTON ALREADY? My total is $299.07 for 2 dc. Is it really as good as I've been reading? I would never get science done if I had to collect supplies for the experiments which is a big part of why I chose NL. Opinions? :D

I took the plunge and purchased it just after Christmas... It was hard for me to press the button too! I ended up calling them and the woman I spoke to totally sold me on it. I was impressed a real person even answered the phone over the holiday break! I am doing this with my oldest two boys, ages 8 and 6, and we just finished lesson 9 today. The first lessons are not super exciting, but my boys have really enjoyed doing science every day and they are learning - even my 8 year old is learning new vocabulary, and he is a science nut. I will have to get further in to say that it was worth every cent, but I can say that I love how everything came in the box, and the lessons are very realistic for me to do every day, even with a 3 yr old and 18 mos old running around at the same time. This is more science than I have accomplished with them to date, which makes me very happy that I made this purchase.

Good luck with your decision! And if you have any questions, call the company, their customer service is fabulous! Shipping was incredibly fast too!

I really, really, really wanted to get it. But...I just couldn't justify it. In looking at what was all included, I ended up buying a few similar items separately (like x-rays). A few items I already had. A few items I got that they didn't include, that I thought were beneficial (such as Bones Book & Skeleton). I ended up choosing Purposeful Design. We haven't yet started it (we are only in week one of 1st grade), but it looks wonderful. The list of items to use with the program is very, very doable. As much as I loved the look of NL....I had this horrible fear that I would get it and I'd look it all over and say...."all that money for just this???" But....I could be totally wrong about that. If you get it, please let us know what you think of it after you use it for awhile.

I was you just a few months ago...couldn't hit the buy button....but after emailing with one of the sales reps and reminding myself that this is the very style of science I need (scripted and complete), and even though the material starts out way too simple for my 2 older children...the sales rep sent me huge list of things I can do to enrich the lessons....she was AMAZING!!! The cost is high...but I feel like that if I spend money on curriculums that I can't use...then that is wasted money...but if I spend money on a curriculum that actually gets used, then that is money used wisely...afterall (I was reminded by someone on this list) I have ONLY one shot to educate my kids at this age, and I want to do the best I can. Good luck with your decision...I found the more I agonize over this, the worse it was...once I pushed the button...and once the kit came...I was happy that I did it.

Thank you ladies. I know if I didn't have the supplies on hand science wouldn't get done. I have a hard enough time just doing the 3R's. I need scripted and I need open and go. I'm gonna do it! :001_smile:

Thank you ladies. I know if I didn't have the supplies on hand science wouldn't get done. I have a hard enough time just doing the 3R's. I need scripted and I need open and go. I'm gonna do it! :001_smile:

yea...that is us...we live in a rural area...and if was always putting off science becasue I didn't have the right supplies...now I don't have that excuse....

I took the plunge and purchased it just after Christmas... It was hard for me to press the button too! I ended up calling them and the woman I spoke to totally sold me on it. I was impressed a real person even answered the phone over the holiday break! I am doing this with my oldest two boys, ages 8 and 6, and we just finished lesson 9 today. The first lessons are not super exciting, but my boys have really enjoyed doing science every day and they are learning - even my 8 year old is learning new vocabulary, and he is a science nut. I will have to get further in to say that it was worth every cent, but I can say that I love how everything came in the box, and the lessons are very realistic for me to do every day, even with a 3 yr old and 18 mos old running around at the same time. This is more science than I have accomplished with them to date, which makes me very happy that I made this purchase.

Good luck with your decision! And if you have any questions, call the company, their customer service is fabulous! Shipping was incredibly fast too!

I didn't have any experience with customer service (although I did just e-mail them), but the bold is so true! My oldest is bigger and it is definitely a bit of a review and a little easy for him, at this point, but we are doing science daily and is totally manageable with little people running around. Actually, my almost 5 year old is enjoying it and getting something out of it. I have tried a number of science programs and I think we have found what will work for us...finally! It is a lot of coin, but it is through and really has everything for a solid science experience. At this point in my homeschooling career, I need solid curriculum that we can realistically get through and is laid out for me. I just have too many little people to clean up after and books to read to be putting a bunch of stuff together (although the former teacher in me loves it!). NL fits the bill perfectly.

HTH

We bought it and started in December. The science we were doing was boring me. The nancy larson stuff really upped both my and my boys' interest level. It's something we look forward to every day. Also their retention seems to be VERY good. Probably because the hands-on goes right along with the lecture (and is easy to throw together due to the necessary materials supplied, and anything extraneous is easily found around the house). For us it has been well worth it. I also like the built-in review.

It took me a long time to press the button too. I really wanted this curriculum, but I abandoned my cart a number of times before I purchased it. I had been using BFSU, but wanted something a little easier to use. I think Nancy Larson is a good, solid science curriculum, but I still prefer BFSU and have returned to using it.

I don't like the scripting in NL. I like some scripting (as in AAS) but NL is completely scripted. I thought I could use it in spite of this, but I find it annoying. This could be due to the fact that I have a background in science and winging it (to a certain degree) is fun for me.

I also don't think the hands on activities are very hands on. I'm speaking of level 1 - the other levels lend themselves more to hands on activities, so they could be different. There are a number of fun items in the box, but many of the lessons rely on picture cards. It just feels too much like the science I had in school. I prefer real world discovery to plastic bugs and pictures.

Those issues aside, it is a solid, easy-to-use curriculum. It has great breadth of coverage. It has motivated me to stay on track - which is huge because we didn't do that before. I can see that this might be particularly appealing to a parent without a natural inclination or background in science. You can teach solid science with this curriculum without background or preparation. It is truly open and go.

I just can't justify the $263 per year when I purchased BFSU for $25 and it includes lessons from K through 2nd grades.

I purchased BFSU for $25 and it includes lessons from K through 2nd grades.

I just ordered BFSU from Amazon for my dd (1st grade). I felt like our science could use a jumpstart, so I'm hoping this will help. What do you like about it (besides the price)?

Thanks,

Chelli

We are only starting out N.L. level 1, but it is already been very hands-on for us compared to what we were doing (which was basically me saying "This experiment isn't going to happen because I don't have the right materials around here, so lets just imagine what would happen if we were to do the experiment...")! We are loving it!

I too ad-lib at some points, but I am surprised at how well the scripting is going for the most part. My boys (almost-4, 6 and 8) are retaining the words from the word list and I love overhearing them describe someone from co-op as an adolescent, or talking about places in our habitat. =) I feel like the program is worth the cost, but then I am getting two boys through in one shot (with a 3rd listening in). At this point I don't see why I wouldn't buy level 2 for next year.

I just ordered BFSU from Amazon for my dd (1st grade). I felt like our science could use a jumpstart, so I'm hoping this will help. What do you like about it (besides the price)?

Thanks,

Chelli

I love that BFSU encourages scientific thinking. Students are encouraged to ask questions and teachers are to ask questions that guide students to arrive at the answer. The author believes that like math, science should be taught in a systematic manner. The book is organized in 4 threads - Nature of Matter, Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth and Space Science. You rotate between the threads base on lesson pre-requisites or co-requisites. The lessons build on each other. So much thought went into the organization of this curriculum.

The lessons have a wealth of background information. Each lesson gives instructions on 1 or more demonstrations (using mostly ordinary household items) that allow the children to observe the concepts first hand. He gives great examples on how to explain the concepts clearly.

My only complaint is that it does involve pre-planning. Each lesson spans multiple days/weeks and you do need to make a plan about what you want to accomplish and what you will need for that day. That is why I wanted NL - the lessons are laid out day-by-day and all the supplies were included. I just didn't get the same a-ha moments as I did with BFSU.

I love that BFSU encourages scientific thinking. Students are encouraged to ask questions and teachers are to ask questions that guide students to arrive at the answer. The author believes that like math, science should be taught in a systematic manner. The book is organized in 4 threads - Nature of Matter, Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth and Space Science. You rotate between the threads base on lesson pre-requisites or co-requisites. The lessons build on each other. So much thought went into the organization of this curriculum.

The lessons have a wealth of background information. Each lesson gives instructions on 1 or more demonstrations (using mostly ordinary household items) that allow the children to observe the concepts first hand. He gives great examples on how to explain the concepts clearly.

My only complaint is that it does involve pre-planning. Each lesson spans multiple days/weeks and you do need to make a plan about what you want to accomplish and what you will need for that day. That is why I wanted NL - the lessons are laid out day-by-day and all the supplies were included. I just didn't get the same a-ha moments as I did with BFSU.

Joilet, I am curious as to what you think about Elemental Science particulary the Grammar Earth science curriculum. I am looking at science curr because I just do not have the time to plan out science although I have the ability and supplies. I do not want to hinder the inquiry learning method of discovery for my child or the excitement he now has for science. I just want to be able to get science done without having to scale back on anything else. Thanks for any feedback you have

we are just starting the second chapter in NL 1. Since we started in the middle of winter here, Nancy Larson suggested a different order in which to do the lessons so the outside stuff would come in the spring. We are just about ready to begin the second chapter and we are still in love with the program. Yes, sometimes it feels too over scripted...but i would rather have that problem because for me it is eaiser to skip over some stuff than it is to come up with it on my own. And as far as hand's on...I think it is hands on...it sure beats having experiements that don't work because I didn't have the materials on hand or I picked a bogus experiement that was just bound to fail....thus disappointed kids. We are pleased!! Expensive?? Yes...but I have only one chance to do it right...so it is worth it to me. Plus, I have purchased many other materials..started using them...didn't like them...sold them used...and lost money on the deal...over the last couple years I have probably lost at least half of what this program cost me...live and learn.

Joilet, I am curious as to what you think about Elemental Science particulary the Grammar Earth science curriculum. I am looking at science curr because I just do not have the time to plan out science although I have the ability and supplies. I do not want to hinder the inquiry learning method of discovery for my child or the excitement he now has for science. I just want to be able to get science done without having to scale back on anything else. Thanks for any feedback you have

Sorry, but I can't speak to Elemental. I've only seen it online, and I mainly looked at Life Science. It was one I considered, but chose Nancy Larson instead because I felt like it was more inquiry-based. I still think Nancy Larson is the next best thing to BFSU's method of inquiry. It's very easy to use and it gets done. However, it is expensive - especially considering that half the cost is supplies and you aren't really lacking supplies. Sorry I couldn't be more help.