Menu

Question about selling portions of SOTW.

I am looking to sell my SOTW 1 and 2 Activity Guides but I wasn't sure if I could sell the student pages and tests as well. I made copies of all of the student pages and tests so I could preserve the originals. I wasn't sure about the copyright protection on this. We actually didn't even use the majority of volume 2, although I know that is probably irrelevant.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

The copyright allows you to make copies for use within your family. If you made copies and used those instead of the originals, then you have still "used up" the product you purchased, even if the originals were not used. Selling the originals would be going against the copyright.

The copyright allows you to make copies for use within your family. If you made copies and used those instead of the originals, then you have still "used up" the product you purchased, even if the originals were not used. Selling the originals would be going against the copyright.

I agree, you did get use of the original, even if you did preserve it. It wouldn't be right to sale it.

You wouldnt' copy the whole Story of the World ( text ) just to resale it would you ?

I don't see it that way. If I read a book, I have used up the original product. I can still sell it.

This discussion is pertaining to a consumable work-text. SWB and PHP is actually being quite generous in allowing copies within families. Most publishers of consumable workbooks are not as generous and to make copies for multiple students is breaking the copyright. The expectation usually is that every student who uses that workbook will purchase a new copy; PHP Press' expectation is that each family purchase a new copy for family use. I realize that copyright is an often misunderstood and disregarded concept in the homeschool community, but it doesn't change the law. I cringe at the amount of copyright abuse I see in various HS groups.

Edited by fhjmom
edited for clarity

This is what I was told at the PHP booth at convention, and also reflects page 3 in the SOTW3 guide:

"You can make photocopies of the coloring pages and maps for use WITHIN YOUR OWN FAMILY ONLY. Peace Hill Press publishes a separate set of Student Pages, which includes all consumable pages from the Activity Book in a looseleaf, shrink-wrapped format. Since we sell these at cost, it is often more economical for you to buy these separate pages than to photocopy the entire consumable section of the Activity Book. If you would like to purchase these, visit our website at http://www.peacehillpress.com. Photocopying the pages so that the Book can then be resold is a violation of copyright."

Got it. I was thinking that I shouldn't sell them but I just wanted to be sure. Is there any reason I couldn't include them as "free" if someone purchases the Activity guide. I really don't have any use for them?

If it were me, I would tear the pages out and dispose of them since you're through with them. I would sell the non-consumable portion of the book and direct the buyer to the site where they can purchase their own student pages.

Call me crazy, but I thought we were talking about the AG in general (not the packet of pages they sell separately).

I have the AG that I am wanting to sell (which does have the student pages included in it) but I also have the separate student pages packet and the separate test pack that I was wanting to get rid off. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

Now I'm confused too. So, just to be clear, I can sell the AG if I remove the consumable student pages? I understand that I can't sell the separate student page packet or the test packet.

As long as you have not photocopied the AG in order to "use" it up while still keeping the original pristine for sale--that would be the equivalent of photocopying the AG and selling the photocopy, which is a violation of US copyright (not just our preference).

As per the notice that you should have gotten when purchasing the PDF, it may not legally be copied or resold. PDFs are sold for the use of the purchaser only.

Essentially, it's only legal to resell the AG if you bought it and decided not to use it at all.

A-ha! Well now we get to the nitty gritty of it. :tongue_smilie: I would have to say then that per copyright law I shouldn't sell any of it because I did use all of the volume one AG to do our lessons and up to lesson 10 of volume 2.

Thank you for chiming in...I could use the $ and the shelf space but not at the expense of breaking copyright law.