Menu

CLE LA & Reading Questions

amandajh

We are using CLE math and Lang. I want to add Reading next. Would I be right in assuming that CLE lang and reading will cover everything we need for a complete la course? I also have their "On Teaching Writing" and would add that when needed.

So would I have grammar, spelling, writing, vocabulary, reading comprehension, some logic and thinking skills in one program? That seems awesome if it is really as good as the scope and sequence appears.

I would just add CLE math, R&S history (we do this together), and Abeka science for each child! It just seems too easy....

As long as you add writing assignments I think it is complete~grammar, penmanship, spelling, reading.

:iagree:

There is plenty of writing instruction, as in technique, but very few assignments just for the sake of writing so far (we are in 305). Personally, I prefer to assign writing for the science and history topics we are studying, so I don't need it in an LA program.

I don't use "On Teaching Writing" but I don't think you need a specific course. In the 3rd grade LA they cover topic sentences, transition words, choosing a good title, and I'm sure a lot more (we're only in 305). If you're doing 4th grade there's probably even more on organizing paragraphs into an essay. Just apply what you're covering in LA to your other subjects - like if your LA is covering writing a compare/contrast essay, then have your student compare/contrast something in their science or history, or a book they're reading, using the skills they've been taught in LA.

As much as I love CLE, I do NOT like the way they handle writing. What I use instead is "The Write Stuff Adventure" by Dean Rea. Mr. Rea was a college prof who's daughter was homeschooling her children. He started out teaching his grandkids writing, then began offering lessons for other hsers. His lessons are well laid out, and the book is very inexpensive. It's recommend for grades 5 and up, but if your child can form coherent thoughts and write them down, you can use it younger. Dot is 7, and I've used it with her very successfully. I also use it with Wacko (turning 13 in April), so having one book for both makes it much easier. For Yacko (8th grade) we use Barron's "How to Write Successfully in High School and College".