Menu

If you use two math curricula...

mom31257

...how has it gone for you? Do you feel that you are doing math all day? Does your child manage it well?

I have a ds who understands math very well. He does have a tendency to forget things, so I've been using CLE. It is very solid with plenty of review. I miss the color and fun of curricula like BJU. BJU also had fun enrichment items on their CD that my ds did enjoy.

He is almost through with all the 2nd grade materials I have in the house. I am seriously considering getting 3rd grade BJU and CLE. I think I would use both, but CLE would mainly be the supplement.

Any thoughts?

I've always used two because I loved MUS, but felt like they needed something that followed a more standard scope & sequence for testing. Using CLE one grade level behind has worked well in that they don't have to spend too much time on math & it doesn't get frustrating. So right now my 7th grader is almost finished with MUS pre-algebra and CLE 6th grade and my 5th grader is using MUS Epsilon & CLE 4th grade (almost finished).

HTH

I use two and we schedule it so its pretty simple. My dd who is in 3rd grade will do a lesson in horizons, then anywork sheets for that lesson, if there are no work sheets she will do 2 or so pages in her Singapore IP or CWP.

My oldest dd does Chalkdust and LoF. She does a chapter in LoF first then something else (english, science, something) then does her lesson in CD. We just break it up, it works very well though. My ds6 right now just does MUS, but I am going to do Right Start with him as well, starting this year sometime. Probably closer to spring. (ds4, 5 in a month:D will start both of those also next year) I dont know how long I will continue with RS, but for now I believe they will do amazing with it. I might end up adding a 3rd for them. I have Horizons K, but I am not sure I am going to start him in that yet, we will see how he does. I might just sell it, maybe I will start Horizons in a few years, maybe another curriculum I dont know. I have to see how they do. Ds6 is a VERY VERY visual, hands on, auditory learner. My younger son will only do what his big brother is doing :glare: but I am waiting until next fall to start him in MUS Primer. My kids dont mind 2 math curricula. If they are confused by 1 explination, then we go to the other to figure it out, then they can go back and see how the first was explaining it. It works well :001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I've always used multiple different things, although our math lineup is currently so jumbled I don't list it all. I used to use both MEP and Rightstart, the whole shebang of each one, lesson plans and all. As we got further into this grade (1st) DD got so.tired.of MEP that we dropped it. However, we use RS still, and supplement with Math Mammoth, Horizons worksheets, Indian math worksheets (NCERT, I think it's called) and whatever else we find. DD needs that written practice every now and then, but the RS practice sheets are boring. I don't find that it eats up our day at all. If you're using one as a supplement, you can just assign whatever parts you want, so you don't let it take up too much time. :)

I use Math Mammoth as my main curriculum. I add one MEP worksheet to that, but I'm not doing the whole lesson plan or anything. It takes probably about 5 minutes to complete (so far - we're still at an easy stage). I think all of math currently takes us about 30 minutes. This will get longer as we get into stuff that is completely new, but we aren't there yet. Even if it took longer, I can't see it taking the whole day. :)