Menu

My 12 yo ds is having surgery and I can't be there

My 12 yo ds is having surgery tomorrow. He has a benign tumor in his neck that has to be removed.

Originally I managed to arrange childcare so that both dh and I could go. Now we have been hit with a snowstorm. I can't get my kids where they were going to stay so I have to stay home with them. Dh can make it to the hospital so he will take my ds and I will stay with the other dc.

I'm so sad to not be there with him. The whole thing is so stressful and now I can't even be there. I feel awful.

Now to make things worse, because of the conditions, my dh and ds are going to leave this afternoon and stay with my parents closer to the hospital to make sure they can get there in the morning.

It just feels awful to pack up my ds now and not see him until tomorrow night after he has gone through all this.

I know it is just a minor procedure and other people have much bigger problems. It just really stinks to not be able to be there.

I'm sorry. My son has had to have several eye surgeries and I know how stressed you all are. (((hug)))

It is great that his dad will be there. That should help to distract him from any tension he is feeling. If your son has any sort of hand held video game, he should take it with him. We don't, but ds borrowed one from his buddy before the last two surgeries when he was 10 and it helped give him something to do while he was waiting for such a long time. If he doesn't, don't worry about it. There is usually a tv to watch and stuff to look at and the nurses do a good job of making sure the kids are doing ok.

He and dad will be fine. You are right... this will be hardest on you, but it will all be done soon!

I didn't read the other posts, but I would be very inclined to pack up all of my children and for all of us to go to the hospital for the procedure. Is it ideal? Of course not, but it would make my momma's heart feel so much better!

This is what I'd be inclined to do - if at all possible. Maybe your parents could watch the three others while you, your husband, and your son go to the hospital, or you could bring the 2 yo if it would be too much for them. (Ideally the 2yo wouldn't go to the hospital.) It would be so hard not to be there.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry you are having to miss being there. I know that has to be difficult! :grouphug: it's nice, though, that he and your dh can get a head start to be sure there aren't further difficulties which would delay things.

I will keep all of you in my prayers, especially your son for a safe surgical procedure and recovery, so he can get back home to be with you!!

Now to make things worse, because of the conditions, my dh and ds are going to leave this afternoon and stay with my parents closer to the hospital to make sure they can get there in the morning.

Why don't you all go and stay with your folks? I suppose it could be crowded, but it's just for a short bit - surely they could squish you guys in somewhere?

Or YOU could go and your dh could stay home with the other kids, if you'd really rather be the one there instead?