Menu

Going to a wedding in DFW in March. . .

Well, first I would suggest that you take clothes for cold weather and clothes for warm weather. In March you could come to find snow in the south or 80 degree temps. As for the wedding specifically, ask others what they are wearing. I have recently been to 'big city weddings' and appropriate ranges from slacks to semi formal depending on the bride and location.

Ummm, March in Texas could be anything from the high 80's to below freezing, even in the same weekend. I would plan on something that could be layered, add tights, a sweater or shrug, etc. to go from one extreme to the other, or bring some totally different options depending on the weather.

Also, it depends a lot on the venue and how dressy the wedding is expected to be. Most weddings I have attended are "church dress" at most and many even less formal, but you may have a classier group of friends, LOL!

Well, first I would suggest that you take clothes for cold weather and clothes for warm weather. In March you could come to find snow in the south or 80 degree temps.

:iagree:What she said.

Also, bring an umbrella and raincoat.

Get the weather forecast right before you come to narrow down the possibilities.

If the weather is going to be warm, and the faciity has turned on the AC, you still have to dress for coolness. Many ladies dress in sleeveless short dresses when it is warm, but are freezing from the AC as soon as they get indoors.

Welcome to DFW! :auto:

Lifetime Texas resident here...as others have said, you cannot plan ahead with regard to temps. It could be 80. It could be 40. What time is the wedding? How formal is it/the folks getting married? Things vary here a great deal. Pants are an option for the vast majority of weddings I have attended here. You could always plan a maxi dress with a short sleeved shrug or a long sleeved sweater depending on the weather...but you will literally need to wait until you are packing to go for the final weather report...and that is subject to change.

BTW, being in the Bible belt is irrelevant. People wear all sorts of things here. When I go to the mall, I see teen girls in outfits that cry "Beach wear!". My eyes! My eyes!:tongue_smilie:

The weather could be anything! The later in March the more likely it will be springlike, but there is not guarantee.

Where is the wedding venue and what time of day i it? That will help with the attire. Around here it could be anything from evening attire to jeans. If the wedding invitation is pretty traditional and it's a church wedding, I would go with traditional etiquette for a wedding at that time of day.

If it is not at a church, tell us where it is and we might be able to help with the "dressiness" level of the venue.

The weather could be anything! The later in March the more likely it will be springlike, but there is not guarantee.

Where is the wedding venue and what time of day i it? That will help with the attire. Around here it could be anything from evening attire to jeans. If the wedding invitation is pretty traditional and it's a church wedding, I would go with traditional etiquette for a wedding at that time of day.

If it is not at a church, tell us where it is and we might be able to help with the "dressiness" level of the venue.

:iagree::iagree:

One thought I had was that mid-March to June is Tornado "season" -- in the DFW area it is not necessarily a tornado is going to break out (don't panic) ;) -- but our area is more like a "mixer" with the system going up North to OK/Arkansas causing a lot of damage.

I agree with everyone. At that time of the year, it could be in the 80s or 30s. Who knows. It most likely may rain and be windy too? Bring extra outfits for either scenario. One other thought I had was if it will be an indoor wedding? Outdoors? I was thinking of a light wrap or jacket if outdoors. We'd be at a Frisco Roughrider ballgame in early April and be FREEZING cold!! (Spring is pretty for an outdoor wedding if the weather cooperates.) HTH

The wedding will be in late March at 5:00pm in a church. By "Bible belt" I was referring more to southern culture than conservative dress. :001_smile:

I'm looking more for style hints (links to examples?) than for dressing for weather. (Although it's good to know to be prepared!)

Edited by birchbark

The wedding will be in late March at 5:00pm in a church. By "Bible belt" I was referring more to southern culture than conservative dress. :001_smile:

I'm looking more for style hints (links to examples?) than for dressing for weather.

DFW is not as "Bible Belt" as you think. It is more upscale/metropolitan than southern/country. And with Dallas, many dress quite fashionable. In our neck of the woods -- Frisco -- we have soccer moms dress in designer shoes, designer purses, and drive Range Rovers. Not too many cowboys wearing Wranglers and driving a muddied Ford truck, kwim? I live in Yuppieville. LOL Where is the wedding located at? Then we'll help you figure out what to wear.

DFW is not as "Bible Belt" as you think. It is more upscale/metropolitan than southern/country. And with Dallas, many dress quite fashionable. In our neck of the woods -- Frisco -- we have soccer moms dress in designer shoes, designer purses, and drive Range Rovers. Not too many cowboys wearing Wranglers and driving a muddied Ford truck, kwim? I live in Yuppieville. LOL Where is the wedding located at? Then we'll help you figure out what to wear.

LOL, okay. I wasn't thinking pickups either. (That's what we have up here!) I worked for awhile in Chicago at a ministry where many of the staff were from down south. I definitely got the feeling that they dress up more than we do. So that's why I'm asking. :001_smile:

I don't know where the wedding is at yet. DH was just asked to be in the bridal party.

Moved to DFW this past spring. Definitely a dressier place than anywhere I've ever lived. Some weddings can be quite formal, especially if your DH is in the wedding party. Be prepared to go upscale.

When you get more info, post here and I'm sure the Dallas ladies can help. Do you know where the reception is going to be? That will help determine the level of formality the happy couple is contemplating.

LOL, okay. I wasn't thinking pickups either. (That's what we have up here!) I worked for awhile in Chicago at a ministry where many of the staff were from down south. I definitely got the feeling that they dress up more than we do. So that's why I'm asking. :001_smile:

I don't know where the wedding is at yet. DH was just asked to be in the bridal party.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I wouldn't consider TX "down south" - more southwest than anything but you can't put it in a box :001_smile:

As others have said, when you get more details on the venue, let us know and we can help with your wardrobe. And yes, we've had snow days with temps in the 20s and turn around 3 days later and wear shorts... and that's in February.:lol: March is even more unpredictable.:tongue_smilie:

Church wedding and reception

5:00pm

Bridesmaids are wearing floor-length

Anyone???

I would say for that time of day, at a church, I would wear something I would wear out to a nice restaurant for dinner. Not cocktail attire, but a dressy dress or pantsuit just shy of it.

Something like this:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20180055&parentid=QUICKSHOP&navAction=jump

Edited by Amy loves Bud

Church wedding and reception

5:00pm

Bridesmaids are wearing floor-length

Anyone???

I think a 3/4 length sleeve, mock-wrap dress. I would buy both dressy sandals and tights/boots to wear with it depending on the weather. Add a fitted jacket or cardigan for layering.

Somthing like this, but mock wrap:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50129&vid=1&pid=813467

or like this but a print:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50129&vid=1&pid=632283&scid=632283032

Honestly, you can wear anything in Dallas. It is a very diverse place. Just wear what makes you feel fabulous.

ETA - I think Amy and I posted at the same time, but I love, love the dress she picked out for you. I would layer that with a cardigan or fitted jacket for warmth.

Ah, thank you guys!

So is a print better than a solid? And if the weather is warm, do you go bare-legged or do they still wear hose down there? Nobody wears it up here anymore.

They wear hose to church from what I've seen. I started wearing it again once we moved here. Only in the absolute heat of summer do they go without, but even then I've seen it.

Hi! New here, but having lived and worked in DFW most of my life, chiming in on my favorite topic -- shopping!

Hosiery will depend on the church. I don't wear them anywhere if I can help it. Not even to church weddings (or my own kids' baptisms). LOL You can get away with no hose if the weather's nice and you wear dressy sandals (please don't wear hose and sandals), or if it's chilly and you wear tall (to your knees or higher) boots.

Make sure you get a sweater or wrap to go with your dress. Churches here crank the a/c up to keep you awake! ;)

Ah, thank you guys!

So is a print better than a solid? And if the weather is warm, do you go bare-legged or do they still wear hose down there? Nobody wears it up here anymore.

I haven't seen hose on anyone under 75 YO in several years, even when it is cold, including church and formal occasions.