Menu

Literature Choices - K12? Mosdos? Other?

Just Robyn

Is anyone able to compare K12's Literature instruction with Mosdos? Does anyone have any other recommendation for secular literature for 4th grade (and hopefully beyond)?

I'm aware that with K12 you have to buy the whole LA package to get the literature, but what I'm really curious about is the quality of the lessons and materials.

I'm looking for something that teaches using literature other than novels (so, short stories, plays, etc.) because I already have materials for use with novels.

We are using K12 Lit. for 5th grade and I really like it. It covers short stories in the readers and also excerpts from larger works. We have done poetry as well which my ds loves. We had a great unit covering Shakespeare where we read The Bard of Avon and then two of the Lamb adaptations of The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream. The questions in the teacher manual have been interesting and we mostly just talk about them orally. After we finished Shakespeare we moved on to reading the James Baldwin adaptation of Don Quixote. When I was reading the intro to DS and he heard about the year Don Quixote was published he remarked that he must have know Shakespeare (who was a contemporary of Cervantes). This prompted a great discussion. We are going to do some Sherlock Holmes in a little bit. It also covers some nonfiction articles (taken from Spider and Cricket Magazines) and the kids practice finding the main idea of the article and supporting details. Nonfiction is a favorite of my DS and I am happy with the instruction in how to delve deeper into these articles and how to help him get more out of reading them. Ds is a reluctant reader so this has gotten his interest peaked in other types of literature so I enjoy going through it with him. The materials can often be found on amazon and you don't need the online school to do 90% of the LA.

Hth,

I haven't used K12, but Mosdos has been a huge hit for my 4th grader: good variety of stories/poems with worthwhile themes, literary terms presented sequentially in a meaningful way, worthwhile worksheets to accompany the stories. Ds loves it, and we will continue Mosdos next year.

I am right where you are as far as trying to find a secular program. I'm going to try Mosdos for the 2nd half of this year probably, and I have purchased some used Literature teacher and student pages from K12 for 5th grade to look through, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet (arrived today).

I bought this used to check out for next year as well (5th grade):

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Selling-Chapters-McGraw-Hill-Jamestown-Education/dp/0890618453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294801161&sr=8-1

It looks fantastic so far! They have Best Nonfiction, Best Plays, Poems, Chapters, and Short Stories. The introductory level is for approximately grades 5 and 6 from what I understand. There are 8-10 units, each covering something different (plot, character, setting, etc...). When I looked at Best Chapters, I really felt like I had found what I was looking for at an affordable price, but I need to really sit down now and compare what I have before making a decision (plus I am waiting on Mosdos, which someone else is purchasing for me).

I'm all ears for any other suggestions.

The lit was the part of K12 LA I liked (the rest was fine, but too many sub-subjects; I prefer unified LA/history/science). 4th grade is mostly stuff like Robinson Crusoe for novels, Match Girl, Rikki TIkki Tavi and such for short stories and a lot of Stevenson for poetry. So, pretty much classic works you can find anywhere.

You can find online their list of materials which will specify their lit books (look for package contents) and probably even used copies of their specialty books (with all the short stories and poetry) fairly cheap at online bookstores. Just another option if you are comfortable developing your own discussion questions and don't want to get the whole LA.