Menu

Quick question for those familiar with Rightstart C and Singapore 1A

Ellyndria

Right now we are doing Rightstart B, with Singapore 1A (standard edition textbook/workbook, plus Intensive Practice) as review/reinforcement. I know Rightstart doesn't introduce subtraction until C, but we are at the subtraction chapter of Singapore 1A. I do have the Home Instructor's Guide for 1A, and I'm wondering if I introduce subtraction now via Singapore, will it conflict much with how Rightstart C will introduce subtraction when we do it next year? Basically, am I "safe" to do the subtraction chapter now, or would it be better to wait for C?

I would go ahead and do it the Singapore way, personally. RS's way is really confusing, so having a more solid foundation in that from SM might make their way more understandable as an alternative or a method you can skip altogether and just add in more practice the SM way. IMHO. :)

ETA I've used both, and have spent the first half of this year giving DS remedial math lessons to catch him up for SM 3A this fall. I will add we didn't get to finish RS C, but we did "get through" the subtraction section and came out only frustrated. We started 3A this fall and then had to step back and do 2A so DS would be comfortable with the work. I've also added in MM subtraction pages to teach him borrowing. For us, postponing subtraction so long and teaching it so differently was a huge negative for his math progression. And it's a shame, because once upon a time he loved math. :( That said, I still like RS and am using a combo of B with SM for DD1. I started with just RS for her but she wanted a workbook lol, so now I'm doing a hybrid.

Edited by truebluexf

Right now we are doing Rightstart B, with Singapore 1A (standard edition textbook/workbook, plus Intensive Practice) as review/reinforcement. I know Rightstart doesn't introduce subtraction until C, but we are at the subtraction chapter of Singapore 1A. I do have the Home Instructor's Guide for 1A, and I'm wondering if I introduce subtraction now via Singapore, will it conflict much with how Rightstart C will introduce subtraction when we do it next year? Basically, am I "safe" to do the subtraction chapter now, or would it be better to wait for C?

They are based on the same philosophy, so I don't see why you can teach it with Singapore. Just be quick to pick up the abacus and the base 10 blocks like you did with addition.

BTW the end of B will introduce subtraction as well. I think what Amy is referring to is how RS teaches borrowing in C. They work from left to right instead of right to left using underlining to remind yourself you are borrowing instead of crossing things out. Some kids are so used to working from right to left for reading that this method really clicks for them. RS does teach the traditional method of borrowing in level D.

Generally I teach both in level C and allow my kids to choose which they prefer. All have chosen the traditional method so far mostly because it is too easy for us to miss the underline, but we are all very concrete. We need to see it crossed out and changed. :D

Heather

I had to contemplate the same thing last year when we were doing RS B, supplemented w/SM. I chose to wait on the subtraction in SM until it was covered more thoroughly in RS C. I'm very glad I resisted the temptation, of thinking that I had to introduce subtraction once it came up in SM, as there is/was no need to rush into it. I love the way RS introduces concepts and progresses w/them... not just the how, but the when and at what pace as well. I'm very happy with the results... well worth the wait.

We'll most likely pick back up and supplement w/SM over the summer, covering subtraction in it at that time.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa

I used MEP and RS B together for quite a while, and MEP introduces subtraction right off the bat. I'll be starting RS C in about 3 months, and I don't think it should be a problem, based on what I've seen looking through the book. Actually, RS does introduce subtraction in B - it's just near the end.