Menu

Business dress code for dd--with skirt below the knee?!?

Dd is going to an event which dress code dictates business 'skirts (or dresses) be mid-calf or longer and must completely cover the knee when sitting, crossing knees and standing.'

Because knees are so d**ned sexy, I guess . . .

Where in the world am I supposed to find such clothing (other than a store for nuns)? This clothing must be out there somewhere, because a lot of girls are going to be there (I just don't know them). It specifically says no denim, no church picnic clothing.

Which rules out just giving her a potato sack, apparently.:glare:

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

My guess is that it isn't a problem with the knee. Too many girls here wear skirts just above the knee and then sit like a boy with their legs wide open. Or they don't hold the skirt in place while sitting so it rides up above the thigh. We have seen too many panties and crotches lately - at church functions no less.

Check out the stores. The last fashion mags my mom received this month project long skirts with wedge shoes to be the fashion this spring and summer. One suggested mid calf to ankle length skirts...

Is this TeenPact? I signed up dd and read the dress code afterward--I was REALLY irritated!!!! They have to wear these long skirts and business wear, but ALSO comfortable walking shoes?!?!?!? Dd's dress-up shoes are more sensible than many of her peers' dressy shoes, but still not warm enough for being outside for an extended time in early spring, and certainly not comfortable enough for lots of walking. I am also irritated because dress pants certainly count as business wear in the White House but are deemed invalid for TeenPact for some reason. :tongue_smilie:

Have you tried Goodwill? At least the one in RM has rows and rows of longish skirts in very nice condition. The event sounds like a lot of, er, fun! :lol:

ETA~ We had success finding nice business-type feminine things at JC Penney.

Yep, that was going to be my reply, but I wanted to read them all first. I don't know what size she wears, but isn't a "0" in adult comparable to a teen size 14....what is that rule? Someone locally suggested that to me. Maybe you could slightly take in on an adult size if you can't find something in your dd's age bracket/size at Goodwill.

Also, do you have OUAC "Once Upon A Child" kids clothing consignment store? Look in your yellow pages for other similar consignment stores.

Yep, that was going to be my reply, but I wanted to read them all first. I don't know what size she wears, but isn't a "0" in adult comparable to a teen size 14....what is that rule? Someone locally suggested that to me. Maybe you could slightly take in on an adult size if you can't find something in your dd's age bracket/size at Goodwill.

Also, do you have OUAC "Once Upon A Child" kids clothing consignment store? Look in your yellow pages for other similar consignment stores.

No. The juniors sizes, which are the teen sizes at least in my area, are comparable to adult sizes but cut for a less, um, matronly body shape.

I don't think I would want my child involved with a group that doesn't think women should wear pants, but that's just me.

There are lots of longer skirts out there, they are just hard to find in the stores.

JC Penney's is currently carrying A-line mid-calf length skirts.

If you search for "long skirt" on overstock, several pop up :

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=long+skirt&SearchType=Header

My favorite place to look though is funkyfrum.com

I found long skirts for my girls in my closet. :glare:

I recently found one for older dd (smaller size) at Kohl's of all places right before Christmas. They carried the size younger dd would need but not in stock.

Then my folks told me when they were going to the Navy Exchange and I asked them to look. They found one there for younger dd.

LOL, yes, it's TeenPact. I'm really, really happy she's going. She's excited to go. The cost is a killer, the four day class, overnight lodging, and the clothes on top of it.

We looked yesterday at Macy's and then Penney's (Worthington, great call!) where we found a longish skirt, but I think it just covers her knee when she stands. Dd was shocked when I bought her two pairs of shoes. But she wanted heels, and I wanted to be sure she had something much lower in case the heels give her trouble. On the plus side, she's happy with just one skirt and an assortment of tops. These are not clothes we just happen to have hanging in the closet.

Thank you so much for all of the input. You've encouraged me that it is possible to find something. I'm glad I'm not doing this last minute. We are conservative thinkers here, not conservative dressers!

My guess is that it isn't a problem with the knee. Too many girls here wear skirts just above the knee and then sit like a boy with their legs wide open. Or they don't hold the skirt in place while sitting so it rides up above the thigh. We have seen too many panties and crotches lately - at church functions no less.

This is what I was thinking also.

:iagree:

Dd is going to an event which dress code dictates business 'skirts (or dresses) be mid-calf or longer and must completely cover the knee when sitting, crossing knees and standing.'

Because knees are so d**ned sexy, I guess . . .

Kristine,

My dc have been part of or attended several events in which this rule applied. Let me guess: Teenpact? My dc did this as well as extensive debating and both groups have the rule. It's not that knees are so distracting :tongue_smilie:. More than likely, it's b/c no one wants to walk around with a yardstick when the rule is no more than x inches above the knee. Also, some girls just don't know how to sit lady like. :D I've judged debate rounds (with other men) in which we are facing a table of students, one of which is so busy thinking and preparing that she's not crossing her legs and it's fully visible under the table.

Anyway, you can find below the knee skirts, but it's difficult. Don't go to Abercrombie. :/

Lisa

ETA: And I see others have already answered you and you found a skirt! Enjoy Teenpact! My dc really liked it.

Personally, I appreciate an organization that understands the need for modest dress. (Although I have no idea what Teen Pact is, or what it stands for.)

We have also noticed young ladies wearing short skirts, but sitting like men, totally exposing their yayhoo's and/or undies. It's just gross! Not to mention the Bible verses that say men and women are to be modest in dress and attitude.

Now that I have three sons, I am WAY MORE AWARE of modesty and what a blessing it is to men when women dress fashionably, but modestly.

Personally, I appreciate an organization that understands the need for modest dress.

I support the idea of modest dress wholeheartedly.

However, my issue with the TeenPact dress code is that it is COLD in early spring, makes it more difficult to match with easy walking shoes (also a requirement), and I think knee-length is modest and far easier to find. My biggest arguments, though, are that skirts are cold and harder to pair with easy walking shoes. I think dress pants are just as acceptable and should be allowed.

If it were, girls would be permitted to wear pants suits.

Terri

:iagree:

If the problem is inappropriate sitting, then requiring ladylike sitting poses, or allowing pants, would seem to be the way to go. (FWIW, I chafe at the idea that calf-length skirts would be the only way to appear business-like.)

I'm glad you found one. If she could use another and you or she can sew, skirts are super easy to make - no buttons, no sleeves, just straight lines and a zipper. There are several patterns for longer skirts that look really cute, like this one: http://butterick.mccall.com/b5431-products-3181.php?page_id=367

When I was first working, I sewed a couple for myself that were like pencil skirts but about calf length with a slit in the back for walking comfortably.

Is this TeenPact? I signed up dd and read the dress code afterward--I was REALLY irritated!!!! They have to wear these long skirts and business wear, but ALSO comfortable walking shoes?!?!?!? Dd's dress-up shoes are more sensible than many of her peers' dressy shoes, but still not warm enough for being outside for an extended time in early spring, and certainly not comfortable enough for lots of walking. I am also irritated because dress pants certainly count as business wear in the White House but are deemed invalid for TeenPact for some reason. :tongue_smilie:

Sigh. I really wish there was a nonpartisan not fundy based version of teen pact. Dh read up on them when I suggest it and gave an adamant hell no to it. :(

I get the below the knee when sitting for skirts. No problem there. I agree that is professional. Just stupid that pants can't be worn tho.

I understand also why a below-the-knee length skirt is needed, most girls today don't seem to have been taught how to sit and move while wearing a knee length skirt and heaven only knows what you will see. DH works in human services and there are a number of women there who wear knee length skirts all the time and still don't seem to grasp that one has to keep one's knees together when sitting.

Also, with regard to the no-pants for women rule, have you seen what passes for dress pants on some girls and women today? Not only are their butt cracks sticking out, the pants are skin tight. I guess stipulating no-pants and calf-length skirts for women they are hoping that at least most of the girls will be dressed decently enough for a business place, no matter how they sit.

Further, most places of employment do have dress codes and one often finds oneself required to wear something one would never wear in one's private life so I fail to understand why some people stated that they would not permit their DC to participate in an activity with a dress code.

I understand also why a below-the-knee length skirt is needed, most girls today don't seem to have been taught how to sit and move while wearing a knee length skirt and heaven only knows what you will see. DH works in human services and there are a number of women there who wear knee length skirts all the time and still don't seem to grasp that one has to keep one's knees together when sitting.

Also, with regard to the no-pants for women rule, have you seen what passes for dress pants on some girls and women today? Not only are their butt cracks sticking out, the pants are skin tight. I guess stipulating no-pants and calf-length skirts for women they are hoping that at least most of the girls will be dressed decently enough for a business place, no matter how they sit.

Further, most places of employment do have dress codes and one often finds oneself required to wear something one would never wear in one's private life so I fail to understand why some people stated that they would not permit their DC to participate in an activity with a dress code.

I know there are lots of denim jean pants as you describe, but I don't think pant suits are that bad yet.

And I'm not aware of any dress code out there for professional attire that says women can't wear dress pants. Some insist on company uniform. But otherwise, I don't know of any that strict. In fact, I think they would be slapped with a discrimination suit if they tried it.

I know there are lots of denim jean pants as you describe, but I don't think pant suits are that bad yet.

And I'm not aware of any dress code out there for professional attire that says women can't wear dress pants. Some insist on company uniform. But otherwise, I don't know of any that strict. In fact, I think they would be slapped with a discrimination suit if they tried it.

My neighbor has found dress pants like that.

She works in a bank. I think she does keep a suitcoat on while there, but she takes it off when she comes to pick up her dd.

Obviously Bank of America's standards aren't as high as TeenPact's.

Sorry, but it is just as common in suit pants/dress slacks for the rise to be shorter. The trends have been getting shorter in the waist for years. You can still find higher waisted dress style pants, but you have to wade through a lot of low rise to find them.

You can find nice, longer skirts at jjill, Coldwater Creek, Marshall's, Macy's and Dillard's. It seems like I saw some long skirts at Belk's....

My husband bought me a long, lacy, sort of shabby chic skirt from Coldwater Creek a few years ago. I have worn that thing every which way--it's my absolute favorite. I've worn it with heels and a nice sweater, with a t-shirt and flip-flops, with boots and a turtleneck...and everytime I wear it, I get loads of compliments. It's ankle length.

My rule on skirt length is that it either has to be knee-length or ankle length. Anywhere in between is so unflattering, especially if you're short. Calf-length is awful, IMO. Since the skirt has to be long, you'll probably get more bang for your buck if you go with ultra long.

I bought this "skirt" from rue21 for my daughter a few weeks ago for a youth function; it doubles as a dress. She loves it. When she wears it as a skirt, she pulls it down on her hips and folds the waist band down. Dress it down by wearing it with a fitted tee and some ballet flats.

post-19860-13535084365186_thumb.jpg

post-19860-13535084365186_thumb.jpg

Dd went to a camp NYLF) that required business dress and lots of walking, and although pants were allowed, she prefers skirts. We found a lot of things at our church giveaway and at thrift stores, so it was very cheap to outfit her with clothes. The other girls complained bitterly about the dress code, so much that they let it take away from the experience. They also got in trouble a lot because they weren't in compliance. Dd was comfortable in her skirts - she was asked several times if she was Amish:).

Shoes were more difficult, but we got a pair of Clarks and a pair of Bass leather shoes with a bit of heel. I encouraged her to wear them often, and sent her with a lot of bandaids. She used or gave away them all, so SEND BANDAIDS.

GardenMom

I always wear skirts that go below the knee, near ankle length, actually. They're really not hard to find, especially for this 5' 11" lady. I get plenty of things from Good Will, Ebay, etc. I rarely buy from a real store, but there are plenty of options that others have mentioned. If the skirt can have a slit, it's even easier (I don't wear skirts with slits). I don't think it's an unreasonable request. I think it looks more professional.

:iagree: I think the policy is sexist. If you read the dress code for young men, they are allowed "dress pants". If a young man can be responsible enough to find acceptable dress pants without stipulating they be "suit pants" why can't young woman be afforded the same responsibility?

Obviously this organization can do as they please and individuals can chose to embrace the experience or don't attend because of the silly dress code. I believe a young woman can look just as professional and modest while wearing pants, that decision really should be up to the family.

Not professional, but I know of a grocery store where they have a similar dress code. Boy's: khaki pants...Girls: khaki skirts that are mid calf to ankle.

My girls don't do teen pact. THey do NCFCA speech and debate. THe dress code is knee length skirts or pants, professional looking. My one daughter is only wearing pants and looks quite professional and the other only wears business suits. I am not checking where the skirt actually lies on her leg. SHe has three conservative business suits and whether the skirt is bottom of knee or top of knee makes little difference. She is smart enough to know how to sit and she always is wearing pantyhose with the skirts anyway.

Where did they get their clothes- Thrift stores, Macy's (one location here has tremendous amount of suits for sale and a good selection in small sizes which they both area), and Ross. I think the most I have spent on a suit was 70 dollars and the least in a non-thrift store (Macy's) was 40.

I've seen it in a lot of restaurants - the waitresses wear skirts and the waiters (of course) wear pants.

Why would a private company be sued for setting their own specific dress requirements? If a lady doesn't want to wear a skirt/dress, she doesn't have to apply at that specific company -- just like if a man doesn't want to wear a necktie, he doesn't have to apply at a place that requires it as part of the dress code.