Menu

Has anyone ever used Just Words by Wilson?

I was just going to post something similar to Tina. We are working with a Wilson tutor right now, and she mentioned that we will work on morphographs and spelling after we complete I believe Wilson 7 book (Wilson goes through 10 books). We started at the end of Wilson 2 and are working in 5, it is a very strong phonics program and is remediating some gaps that ds has.

I'm pondering it for my older 2 who are not dyslexic but could probably use some solid phonics. They learned to read using Bob Jones (of which I am NOT a fan when it comes to phonics:glare: ). Currently they are using Megawords, and they are doing OK with it, but vowel teams in particular are giving my 12yo some trouble.

Would it be totally confusing if I used Barton with my dyslexic kid and Just Words with these 2?

Confusing for who-- them or you? lol.

I am sure you can manage multiple programs. It sounds as if your kids are at different levels.

Alternatively, you could take them all through Wilson, letting the older kids move faster through the earlier material (which is what we are doing). But, then again, I don't know if you really want to spend that time with the older kids doing the early work.

Confusing for who-- them or you? lol.

Me.:lol:

I am sure you can manage multiple programs. It sounds as if your kids are at different levels.

Yes.

Alternatively, you could take them all through Wilson, letting the older kids move faster through the earlier material (which is what we are doing). But, then again, I don't know if you really want to spend that time with the older kids doing the early work.

That's exactly the case.

So should my "half plan" (since I'm not fully planning yet LOL) to use Just Words bear any weight on my decision on whether to use Barton or Wilson with my dyslexic? Or does it matter at all?

I'm pondering it for my older 2 who are not dyslexic but could probably use some solid phonics. They learned to read using Bob Jones (of which I am NOT a fan when it comes to phonics:glare: ). Currently they are using Megawords, and they are doing OK with it, but vowel teams in particular are giving my 12yo some trouble.

Would it be totally confusing if I used Barton with my dyslexic kid and Just Words with these 2?

I haven't used Just Words, so I can't comment on it. I use Barton with both my dyslexic and non-dyslexic kids so I can comment on that.

I just thought I'd mention my experience because trying to keep track and do several programs can be stressful for poor ol' mom. Some might say Barton is over-kill for the non-dyslexic, but we already have the program so I'm using it with them too. A non-dyslexic can go through Barton very fast. Seriously, my non-dyslexics can go through in one day something that takes my very dyslexic child over two weeks! Yet when that same non-dyslexic child slows down, it's in an area where that child needed the work. None of my kids are "good" spellers, and another of my children probably has milder dyslexia. Using Barton with more than just my most dyslexic child helped me feel more confident in teaching Barton to my very dyslexic child. I keep them just ahead of their very dyslexic brother, so that by the time I work with him, I'm not new to the material. Plus, my children find the letter tiles fun to work with, and it brings a novel approach to their school work.

I don't know. lol.

Honestly, we work with a tutor for a reason. When I was realizing we need MORE work, after vision therapy and its associated phonics program, I just hit a wall, I just couldn't figure it all out, and honestly, I was tired (and I only have 2 kids, only one is dyslexic). I didn't even look at Barton etc... I just followed the rec. in our neuropsych plan to seek out a tutor that is trained in Wired for Reading/ LIPS. She does both along with Wilson, and was previously on the faculty at one of our local university so she uses the latest research. I will be honest, it is a pure dream to have someone else with the plan-- I work 30 min/ day based on the plan she has set, it is nice that I can bring any issue to her and she can tell me from her experience whether it is an issue or not. She can tell me if we need more work or should move on...

Perhaps, in your case, it may be worthwhile to see if you can find a Wilson tutor to work with all 3, in a single session. Or perhaps you could pay someone for a consult to help you figure out a plan for your kids. It does seem like a lot of money, but honestly, buying these programs, which may or may not be the place to start, can also be a lot of money, and stress for you.

Edited by RamonaQ

I haven't used Just Words, so I can't comment on it. I use Barton with both my dyslexic and non-dyslexic kids so I can comment on that.

I just thought I'd mention my experience because trying to keep track and do several programs can be stressful for poor ol' mom. Some might say Barton is over-kill for the non-dyslexic, but we already have the program so I'm using it with them too. A non-dyslexic can go through Barton very fast. Seriously, my non-dyslexics can go through in one day something that takes my very dyslexic child over two weeks! Yet when that same non-dyslexic child slows down, it's in an area where that child needed the work. None of my kids are "good" spellers, and another of my children probably has milder dyslexia. Using Barton with more than just my most dyslexic child helped me feel more confident in teaching Barton to my very dyslexic child. I keep them just ahead of their very dyslexic brother, so that by the time I work with him, I'm not new to the material. Plus, my children find the letter tiles fun to work with, and it brings a novel approach to their school work.

That makes sense. How old are your non-dyslexic kids? Are you using Barton to teach them to read and spell, or did they already know, and you're just remediating somewhat?

I don't know. lol.

Honestly, we work with a tutor for a reason. When I was realizing we need MORE work, after vision therapy and its associated phonics program, I just hit a wall, I just couldn't figure it all out, and honestly, I was tired (and I only have 2 kids, only one is dyslexic). I didn't even look at Barton etc... I just followed the rec. in our neuropsych plan to seek out a tutor that is trained in Wired for Reading/ LIPS. She does both along with Wilson, and was previously on the faculty at one of our local university so she uses the latest research. I will be honest, it is a pure dream to have someone else with the plan-- I work 30 min/ day based on the plan she has set, it is nice that I can bring any issue to her and she can tell me from her experience whether it is an issue or not. She can tell me if we need more work or should move on...

Perhaps, in your case, it may be worthwhile to see if you can find a Wilson tutor to work with all 3, in a single session. Or perhaps you could pay someone for a consult to help you figure out a plan for your kids. It does seem like a lot of money, but honestly, buying these programs, which may or may not be the place to start, can also be a lot of money, and stress for you.

A tutor is definitely out of the question. We cannot afford it, nor do we have the time to be driving all over creation.:glare:

Y'all are my consultants!:D

That makes sense. How old are your non-dyslexic kids? Are you using Barton to teach them to read and spell, or did they already know, and you're just remediating somewhat?

A tutor is definitely out of the question. We cannot afford it, nor do we have the time to be driving all over creation.:glare:

Y'all are my consultants!:D

12, 9, and 6 (almost 7.) I even used it to explain schwa to a 16 yo family member who didn't know what schwa was. (Heck, I didn't even really understand schwa very well until Barton--I still remember sitting in my third grade class wondering what the heck my teacher was talking about with schwa and that upside down e thingy. :lol: And hey! now I also figured out one place where my own regional accent is--my accent's in the schwa!)

I used Barton to teach my 6 yo how to read, and she's the best speller in the whole bunch so far. Otherwise, I use Barton to remediate for spelling, not reading. Although they test above average on standardized spelling tests, spelling doesn't measure up with their other scores. I'm also going through the Seeing Stars list to remediate spelling of common words because I'm tired of all their spelling mistakes. (I can barely tolerate my own spelling errors. :tongue_smilie:) Since working with Barton and with all the research I've done on dyslexia, ds 12 probably has mild dyslexia along with some auditory processing trouble. He reads alot and tests above average, but he barely passed the Barton screening! Bright kids can mask some underlying problems.

As far as you using us for your consultants--what out! Sometimes you get what you pay for! :D One more reason why I homeschool using expensive programs, rather than using "free" public schools.;) Since I already paid for those expensive programs, I might as well use them for more than one kid. Buy one, get the rest for free.