Menu

Bob Jones 7 Grammar/Writing and Literature

I'm considering using Bob Jones Complete 7th grade package with my will be 8th grade son (Joshua) in the fall. This will include the Grammar and Writing program. A few questions;

• I've read that the writing instructions is really in BJ graded 1-6.

My son hasn't had too much writing instruction, so I should add that in, correct? If so I plan to use Easy Classical's writing program.

• How teacher intensive is the Grammar/Writing.

I have five other kiddos to teach, so wondering if the Grammar and Writing can be done mostly on his own.

• With Exploring Literature, same question; how teacher intensive.

I really do need Josh, to be able to do most of his schooling on his own, with me to help of course.

My son Josh, works best with textbooks (and lots of free reading to flesh things out). Too many books for one subjects really overwhelms him. How doable is Bob Jones complete package. I can't afford the DVDs :(

Thank you!

I thought of another question with regards to BJ math but for 6th grade.

My son Josh will be in 8th grade next year. My plan is to start him with BJ6 (if we do go the BJ route, if not we'll use Saxon) but double up with the lessons. Do you all see this as doable as well? If it's too much then of course we won't force it but I'd really like him to be at least one grade level behind than what he is right now.

Appreciate any help, thanks a bunch :hat:

Please report back on the DVD program and how you like it.

I have told the kids this may be an option for high school. I had considered only two subjects on DVD, but the cost is such that you may as well get the entire program at that point!

We are not doing DVDs in the near future, but it is in the back of my mind.

I wish they still allowed you to keep the DVDs for future kids like they used to.

Dawn

I thought of another question with regards to BJ math but for 6th grade.

My son Josh will be in 8th grade next year. My plan is to start him with BJ6 (if we do go the BJ route, if not we'll use Saxon) but double up with the lessons. Do you all see this as doable as well? If it's too much then of course we won't force it but I'd really like him to be at least one grade level behind than what he is right now.

Appreciate any help, thanks a bunch :hat:

What is he using this year for math? I consider BJU very light on math. I would be very cautious in taking him back too far with BJU unless he is really really behind. Maybe 7th grade, but not 6th unless he really struggles with math. Just my two cents.

Please report back on the DVD program and how you like it.

I have told the kids this may be an option for high school. I had considered only two subjects on DVD, but the cost is such that you may as well get the entire program at that point!

We are not doing DVDs in the near future, but it is in the back of my mind.

I wish they still allowed you to keep the DVDs for future kids like they used to.

Dawn

Yes, I will. We won't start until the fall, wish it where now. Mid year blues, ready for a change ;) (I do like our picks for this year though).

With the cost, I figured the whole package without the DVDs was a little over $600. With the DVDs $999.00. A $300.00 dollar difference I thought, I'd go for it. I really need the help and I have been wanting to try a DVD program for a few years now but the cost has kept me from trying (until this year). I talked it over with dh and he knows it's hard for me to school 6 kiddos. Especially since my oldest Josh, is a bit difficult :). He's a great kid, but starts hyperventilating when I teach him:glare:

What is he using this year for math? I consider BJU very light on math. I would be very cautious in taking him back too far with BJU unless he is really really behind. Maybe 7th grade, but not 6th unless he really struggles with math. Just my two cents.

Charleigh, this year my son is using Spectrum Workbooks because I don't know what to do with him in the math department. He struggles. As far as I know he is at a 4th grade level in math. I purchased the Spectrum workbooks grades 3-6 this year for him to complete. I thought I'd meet him where he was at and let him go through the workbooks. Hopefully by the fall he'll be ready for Bob Jones 6. I'd love for him to start at a higher level but we'll see.

Thank you ladies,

Can you please expand, I would like to know how it's light, so I can be prepared. I don't mind supplementing if I have too.

Thank you,

I don't have any experience with BJU, but I was wondering if the math would have a placement test that would help you know for sure which level would fit your ds best? Doesn't it seem like math curricula are all over the board? It seems like a placement test might be helpful.

They do have a placement test for math, grades 1-8 here. :)

There is only a $300 cost difference? Yes, that does make it worth it!

I do know people who love it. I would love to see a full two days' worth and get more of a feel for it (or even a full week!) as the little clips just aren't enough for me to get it....

So, on the website it says something like, "If you keep the DVDs for the following year for another child, the cost is only $300 more." So, are they really just charging the same price?

Dawn

Yes, I will. We won't start until the fall, wish it where now. Mid year blues, ready for a change ;) (I do like our picks for this year though).

With the cost, I figured the whole package without the DVDs was a little over $600. With the DVDs $999.00. A $300.00 dollar difference I thought, I'd go for it. I really need the help and I have been wanting to try a DVD program for a few years now but the cost has kept me from trying (until this year). I talked it over with dh and he knows it's hard for me to school 6 kiddos. Especially since my oldest Josh, is a bit difficult :). He's a great kid, but starts hyperventilating when I teach him:glare:

Charleigh, this year my son is using Spectrum Workbooks because I don't know what to do with him in the math department. He struggles. As far as I know he is at a 4th grade level in math. I purchased the Spectrum workbooks grades 3-6 this year for him to complete. I thought I'd meet him where he was at and let him go through the workbooks. Hopefully by the fall he'll be ready for Bob Jones 6. I'd love for him to start at a higher level but we'll see.

Thank you ladies,

There is only a $300 cost difference? Yes, that does make it worth it!

I do know people who love it. I would love to see a full two days' worth and get more of a feel for it (or even a full week!) as the little clips just aren't enough for me to get it....

So, on the website it says something like, "If you keep the DVDs for the following year for another child, the cost is only $300 more." So, are they really just charging the same price?

Dawn

:lol: I was thinking the samething. In my mind it is the same because what makes the difference is all the paper (textbooks). It would be nice if they would let us keep them or if we do keep them, lease them for $50.00 a year until we send them back (if they are worried about resell).

What I like is they will allow you to change grades to meet the needs of a child who is all over the place (up to two grades anyway)

With Josh, I went with the 7th grade and am going to use change Heritage Studies to 8th and math to 6th. Josh and Annette will both use the 6th grade math (Annette, will be in 6th grade).

With Annette, I'll change the 6th grade math to 5th, so my son Caleb, can use the 5th grade math (since Annette, won't need it).

We'll see how it all works out. Can't wait, since the dvds can only be leased for 13 months I can't look any of the TM over until we are going to start :(

With Josh, I went with the 7th grade and am going to use change Heritage Studies to 8th and math to 6th.

You may want to double check, but I think there's a "wall" between 6th & 7th grades for the BJU DVD's. So if you order 7th grade you can go up 2 grades, but not down since 7th-12th is considered upper level. I wanted to do this too, but was told I couldn't. You never know- maybe they will change this policy at some point? Someone let me know if they do!

BTW - we enjoy BJU math. Since I'm considering ordering the 7th grade package next year and can't get 6th grade math, I'm thinking of doing 7th grade math over two years along with LOF. Something like this:

Year 1: 2-3 Days/wk: BJU 7th (1st half)

2 Days/wk: LOF Fractions (fall) and LOF Decimals & Percents (spring)

Year 2: 2-3 Days/wk: BJU 7th (2nd half)

2 Days/wk: LOF Pre-Algebra

If you're planning to keep the DVD's for the next child, this might work you.

Another consideration.... if you order the Online Option, you have access to the material for up to 18 months instead of 13 months. For example, if you start school in July or August 2011 you can access the online classes until Dec 31, 2012. However, you do not get the hard copies of the Teacher Manuals - only online versions. The Online Option is $849 ($150 less) and they allow you to buy the hard copy Teacher Editions, so maybe the price is a wash?

Anyway, I'm no expert, just in the research phases for BJU 7 also. I can report that we are using BJU Math 5 with the Online Option and like it.

Edited by amtmcm

You may want to double check, but I think there's a "wall" between 6th & 7th grades for the BJU DVD's. So if you order 7th grade you can go up 2 grades, but not down since 7th-12th is considered upper level. I wanted to do this too, but was told I couldn't. You never know- maybe they will change this policy at some point? Someone let me know if they do!

BTW - we enjoy BJU math. Since I'm considering ordering the 7th grade package next year and can't get 6th grade math, I'm thinking of doing 7th grade math over two years along with LOF. Something like this:

Year 1: 2-3 Days/wk: BJU 7th (1st half)

2 Days/wk: LOF Fractions (fall) and LOF Decimals & Percents (spring)

Year 2: 2-3 Days/wk: BJU 7th (2nd half)

2 Days/wk: LOF Pre-Algebra

If you're planning to keep the DVD's for the next child, this might work you.

Another consideration.... if you order the Online Option, you have access to the material for up to 18 months instead of 13 months. For example, if you start school in July or August 2011 you can access the online classes until Dec 31, 2012. However, you do not get the hard copies of the Teacher Manuals - only online versions. The Online Option is $849 ($150 less) and they allow you to buy the hard copy Teacher Editions, so maybe the price is a wash?

Anyway, I'm no expert, just in the research phases for BJU 7 also. I can report that we are using BJU Math 5 with the Online Option and like it.

Oh no, I think you are correct because when I would put it in my cart, it didn't give me an option to go a grade below, but I thought it was a glitch. This is going to put a wrench in my plans but I'm glad you mentioned it, so I can figure out what to do.

If my son wasn't so far behind in math it'll be okay but currently he's working at a 4th grade level. I'm trying to get him at a 5th grade level by next school year.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly; with the dvd option we do get the hard copies of the teacher manuals, correct?

With regards to the teacher manuals from what I'm understanding they are printed when one rents the dvds but this is confuing me (taken from the Q. and A. section of the BJ site)

"What is included in each DVD package?

Our DVD packages and pricing include your lease of the DVDs as well as your purchase of all the materials our teachers require you to have (i.e. teacher editions, student worktexts, etc.). A list of items included in each package can be found in the BJU Press Total Homeschool Solutions catalog. Please note tests and answer keys not listed under a subject typically indicate that either the teacher has written tests and has included them in the Teacher Support Materials CD or has not made it a required item.

Are the Teacher Support Materials Printed or on CD?

The Teacher Support Materials are on a CD-ROM. This CD-ROM is the first disc in your DVD package and should play on any device that reads CD-ROM discs."

Just double checking, the part in red does mean we get the printed teacher manuals (I hope). This is important to me because I much prefer printed material over cds.

With regards to the teacher manuals from what I'm understanding they are printed when one rents the dvds but this is confuing me (taken from the Q. and A. section of the BJ site)

"What is included in each DVD package?

Our DVD packages and pricing include your lease of the DVDs as well as your purchase of all the materials our teachers require you to have (i.e. teacher editions, student worktexts, etc.). A list of items included in each package can be found in the BJU Press Total Homeschool Solutions catalog. Please note tests and answer keys not listed under a subject typically indicate that either the teacher has written tests and has included them in the Teacher Support Materials CD or has not made it a required item.

Are the Teacher Support Materials Printed or on CD?

The Teacher Support Materials are on a CD-ROM. This CD-ROM is the first disc in your DVD package and should play on any device that reads CD-ROM discs."

Just double checking, the part in red does mean we get the printed teacher manuals (I hope). This is important to me because I much prefer printed material over cds.

The Teacher Editions are included. The "Teacher Support Materials" are extra worksheets, tests and other helpful teaching tools which come on a CD-Rom in the back cover of the TE.

I emailed Bob Jones with regards to using the 7th grade package but go down a level with math. Here is the reply (hope it's okay to post it):

Thank you for your email concerning BJU DVD for grade 7. Yes, it is highly possible to grant the requested exception, of ordering grade 7 DVDs with grade 6 Math instead of grade 7. For this request to be honored, please place your order by calling BJU Press Customer Service toll free number 800-845-5731. Please do not place the order via internet, home school convention, or any other way.

I emailed Bob Jones with regards to using the 7th grade package but go down a level with math. Here is the reply (hope it's okay to post it):

Thank you for your email concerning BJU DVD for grade 7. Yes, it is highly possible to grant the requested exception, of ordering grade 7 DVDs with grade 6 Math instead of grade 7. For this request to be honored, please place your order by calling BJU Press Customer Service toll free number 800-845-5731. Please do not place the order via internet, home school convention, or any other way.

That's great news! It's nice to know they're able to be flexible. That would work better for us too.