Menu

So I was looking through some pretty Hubble Space Telescope Images...

here http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/handout-photo-provided-NASA-taken-April-12-2010-Hubble-Space/photo//110110/480/urn_publicid_ap_org53a6854c568545baa8da6270e4b17d4b//s:/ap/20110110/ap_on_sc/us_sci_space_blob;_ylt=ArTdkcNpNDBRUiomClM0sH9xieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTE5bXJiMDhnBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9yX3RvcF9waG90bwRzbGsDdGhpc2hhbmRvdXRw#photoViewer=/110111/photos_sc_afp/16e08128ad7d29628c6640a4c56c03d2 and then saw this on picture number 8 featuring Mars!

"This undated file photo taken by the NASA Hubble Space Telescope shows the planet Mars. Two scientists are proposing we send volunteers to Mars and leave them there. They say the mission would mark the beginning of long-term human colonization of Mars, with numerous follow-up trips. The colleagues contend one-way missions could happen a lot quicker and cheaper, and it is essential to begin colonizing another planet as a hedge against a catastrophe that makes Earth uninhabitable."

Woah! I wanted to ask any astronomy minded folks out there who are in the know if they have heard this before. If yes can you comment further on it and what the proposed plan would actually be with the leaving of the volunteers? On the one hand I find this very exciting. Think of the knowledge that will be gained by having actual people on the surface to observe, take measurements etc, but on the other hand, it reminds me of all those Sci-Fi movies where they try to colonize Mars and things go terribly wrong.

Any one want to discuss?:)

So am I way out of the loop or something? I kinda thought humans needed a certain amount of gravity, surface water, and a special blend of air.

Rosie

LOL Well obviously they would have to bring those things with them and be able to sustain themselves until reinforcements could come. It reminds me so much of that movie Red Planet.

I know we have a few astronomers on these boards, I was hoping they would know something futher. It's intriguing to me, but our capabilities of actually accomplishing an undertaking like this seems to be light years away (I know bad pun but I couldn't help myself). I'd really love to hear more about this though and hear just how much support there is for this idea and what timetables they are talking. I find it fascinating. :)

I am in the camp that says we need to go to the moon and set up a camp there first. We can learn a lot by living on the moon, and if we can do it there, then we can consider Mars. The moon is so much closer and "mistakes" have a chance of survival; Mars, not so.

Yes, there are always people out there looking to colonize off-world. We produce wonderful and useful equipment for these projects (these and other science endeavors) and they trickle down to what we use everyday here on earth. The rewards are beyond what we can imagine. I support them.

It would be a long time before we could be capable of colonizing someplace without any help from earth (as in a catastrophe). I can't imagine how we'd figure it all out...but if we don't dream...

Jean

Yay Jean, I was hoping you would see this and add your insights. :) I'm so glad that you did. :)

I am in the camp that says we need to go to the moon and set up a camp there first. We can learn a lot by living on the moon, and if we can do it there, then we can consider Mars. The moon is so much closer and "mistakes" have a chance of survival; Mars, not so.

I agree. Going straight to Mars, even with a space station, would seem like trying go from crawling straight to running, but on the other hand, with people (at least in this country) being more and more willing to cut the space program I can understand the desire to rush ahead in order to "hopefully" revitalize the space program and the funding for it.

Yes, there are always people out there looking to colonize off-world. We produce wonderful and useful equipment for these projects (these and other science endeavors) and they trickle down to what we use everyday here on earth. The rewards are beyond what we can imagine. I support them.

I never thought of that. I'd love to hear some examples of things that have trickled down into our every day lives from the space program. :)

It would be a long time before we could be capable of colonizing someplace without any help from earth (as in a catastrophe). I can't imagine how we'd figure it all out...but if we don't dream...

Jean

My thoughts exactly. There was a time when people thought going to the moon would be impossible too. :)

What do you think about the space program opening up for wealthy citizens for space flights? Do you think it's a good or bad thing. I'm kind of torn. I know that funding is always needed and God knows if I had that kind of money I would be tempted to take a ride like that myself, but if something goes wrong, I wonder about the knee jerk reactions and how they will affect the space program.

I thought this had been scrapped and NASA dollars had been significantly cut back a couple of years ago....

I know the space program has experienced cuts here, but to be fair the article just said, "two scientists proposed" they didn't say whether they were from NASA or not. China has a budding space program and Russia we know has been in the space game for years so even if it's not through NASA, it's still plausible that someone else will do it. That's why I posted this up actually, to try to find out more information about it. :) I know we have some astronomy buffs here on the boards and I figured they might have some insights to add.

Does anyone know what fuel we use to launch rockets? I guess I could google it. :)

DH and I were just speculating last night that space flights might come to an end during our lifetime because of a lack of fuel. I'm assuming it's some sort of oil-based product, but maybe I'm way off base.

From wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_fuel

Florida just had it's final rocket launch not too long ago. I was so sad. It's the end of an era for us. The space program has always been a source of tremendous pride for us and we were so happy to be a part of it, but they won't be launching anymore from Cape Canaveral. I don't know what is going to happen with it now. :(

You might enjoy reading these books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy

They are well written and fun reading.

Thank you so much. Those look fascinating. :)

ETA: My library has the entire series. I just placed a hold on Red Mars. :) Thanks so much for the recommendation. Can this be read with a middle schooler or are they for adults only? We're doing Earth and Space for science this year so this series might be a nice supplement for fun reading. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

It's been a few years since I read them so I can't remember exactly how much se.x and violence is in them but I do remember there is some, although I would not describe it as gratuitous or a major part of the story. Depending on how you feel about your middle schooler being exposed to these, if you are reading aloud, you might feel more comfortable reading a chapter ahead to make note of any parts you want to skip. The aspects of building the communities there, terraforming, and the social issues are what I remember the most.

I never thought of that. I'd love to hear some examples of things that have trickled down into our every day lives from the space program. :)

Off the top of my head - smoke detectors, pretty much anything that uses satellites (so GPS, DirecTV, etc), something to do with pacemakers, LED brain surgery (ok, not everyday life type of thing ;) )... there's a pretty cool exhibit at Kennedy Space Center that lists some of these things.

My big worry is the gap between the space shuttle program and the next gen program, when the Webb Telescope, scheduled to be launched in, what 2014?, needs repairs. I know they do as much as possible to replicate space here, but it seems odd to contemplate sending astronauts to another planet (like that whole Mars-in-2020 thing) who have never been in space before.

On a side note, if you ever get down to the Florida area, Kennedy Space Center is AMAZING! The IMAX movies are fantastic - I believe they were both about the Hubble, one focusing more on repair missions and one more on what we've discovered about the galaxy from it - and the tours were so much fun.

It's been a few years since I read them so I can't remember exactly how much se.x and violence is in them but I do remember there is some, although I would not describe it as gratuitous or a major part of the story. Depending on how you feel about your middle schooler being exposed to these, if you are reading aloud, you might feel more comfortable reading a chapter ahead to make note of any parts you want to skip. The aspects of building the communities there, terraforming, and the social issues are what I remember the most.

Thanks for the head's up. I'll make sure to read ahead. :)

Off the top of my head - smoke detectors, pretty much anything that uses satellites (so GPS, DirecTV, etc), something to do with pacemakers, LED brain surgery (ok, not everyday life type of thing ;) )... there's a pretty cool exhibit at Kennedy Space Center that lists some of these things.

My big worry is the gap between the space shuttle program and the next gen program, when the Webb Telescope, scheduled to be launched in, what 2014?, needs repairs. I know they do as much as possible to replicate space here, but it seems odd to contemplate sending astronauts to another planet (like that whole Mars-in-2020 thing) who have never been in space before.

On a side note, if you ever get down to the Florida area, Kennedy Space Center is AMAZING! The IMAX movies are fantastic - I believe they were both about the Hubble, one focusing more on repair missions and one more on what we've discovered about the galaxy from it - and the tours were so much fun.

Cool. :) I live in Florida (near Miami), but haven't gone to the Kennedy Space Center in ages. I think the last time I went there was after the Challenger blew up. :(

I've read Red Mars - great book! I have the other two, but need actual time to read them.

I have actually heard quite a lot of speculation about Mars colonization, and have read articles written by NASA scientists.

I can't remember the details, but one of them seemed to have solved the fuel problems.

As for the gravity on Mars, the thinking (by some) is that the gravity on Mars is similar enough to our own so that as long as they never came home - they woulnd not suffer most of the ill affects. The three year trip to Mars is another issue - and there are some interresting plans out there to combat the lack of gravity.

I think the biggest problem they are having is self contained biospheres. They can't seem to manage to make them work. However, with some supplies sent from here and the ice, minerals, etc harvested off Mars - they think this is manageable. It would be crucial to put down in a place where they are certain of significant ice deposits, though....

I agree. Going straight to Mars, even with a space station, would seem like trying go from crawling straight to running, but on the other hand, with people (at least in this country) being more and more willing to cut the space program I can understand the desire to rush ahead in order to "hopefully" revitalize the space program and the funding for it.

I've read people's opinions about the Mars program, and I agree with those who say that if we send people to Mars, it is likely to become more like our past trips to the moon--"we got people there and now we are done." If you want a feather in your cap, rush off and be the 1st to Mars, but if you want to learn how to live on another planet, take time to do so, one step at a time. If we want to learn how to set up on another planet, we should learn how to do it here, on the moon 1st. That is how I see it.

From the news, I gather Obama wants to go to Mars, not the moon. He scrubbed the moon colonization plans--or parts of it. (Google 'Obama go to Mars' or 'Obama end Constellation program').

I think this going-to-Mars discussion has become a political-based discussion right now rather than being logical and science-based.

Try this: http://www.kansas-city-news.pro/2009/07/what-have-we-gained-from-nasa-and-space.html

I was listening to public radio the other day where a scientist was asked why we should put tax dollars in to science right now when money is so tight. He talked about how Japan has stopped doing science for science-sake activities twice, only allowing money to go into technology-based science. Each time they realized that they were failing to keep up with other countries. The scientist on the radio then claimed that counties that fail to push forward in science become 3rd world countries. It made me stop and ponder. From what I have seen and heard about the progress we have made in medicine and all sorts of other areas of life due to our science research, I thought he made sense. At least, it made me ponder what I really believed about that.

What do you think about the space program opening up for wealthy citizens for space flights? Do you think it's a good or bad thing. I'm kind of torn. I know that funding is always needed and God knows if I had that kind of money I would be tempted to take a ride like that myself, but if something goes wrong, I wonder about the knee jerk reactions and how they will affect the space program.

I think that the private sector always has a different way of spending money and building industry. They can often do what a government program cannot. I think that people should be getting into space programs on their own. The more we go up, the more we learn.

And will the gov't decide it is too dangerous and make new laws and regulations? Oh, yeah. Right now, gov't is trying to keep us from buying our children Happy Meals with toys in them. They'd tell us how to trim our toe nails if we let them. But that doesn't mean individuals shouldn't go ahead and try to get active in space activities. (Are my colors showing? LOL!)

So yes, I think the private sector should get involved. We need enough regulation to make sure they do not do damage to the earth, space, and others who are involved in space activities, but we need them with their creativity and their money and their drive. That is what has made America great in the past--people striving to reach 'for the moon'.

At least, that is how I see it.

Can I just say, Jean, I LOVE to read your posts. :)

I've read people's opinions about the Mars program, and I agree with those who say that if we send people to Mars, it is likely to become more like our past trips to the moon--"we got people there and now we are done." If you want a feather in your cap, rush off and be the 1st to Mars, but if you want to learn how to live on another planet, take time to do so, one step at a time. If we want to learn how to set up on another planet, we should learn how to do it here, on the moon 1st. That is how I see it.
:iagree::iagree: I totally agree with you.

From the news, I gather Obama wants to go to Mars, not the moon. He scrubbed the moon colonization plans--or parts of it. (Google 'Obama go to Mars' or 'Obama end Constellation program').

I think this going-to-Mars discussion has become a political-based discussion right now rather than being logical and science-based.

Unfortunately and when politicians get involved everything goes awry. :(

Oh yes Tang! How could I forget! lol :)

I was listening to public radio the other day where a scientist was asked why we should put tax dollars in to science right now when money is so tight. He talked about how Japan has stopped doing science for science-sake activities twice, only allowing money to go into technology-based science. Each time they realized that they were failing to keep up with other countries. The scientist on the radio then claimed that counties that fail to push forward in science become 3rd world countries. It made me stop and ponder. From what I have seen and heard about the progress we have made in medicine and all sorts of other areas of life due to our science research, I thought he made sense. At least, it made me ponder what I really believed about that.

That is interesting. Oh yes I think research is vitally important in all of the sciences not just cosmology.

I think that the private sector always has a different way of spending money and building industry. They can often do what a government program cannot. I think that people should be getting into space programs on their own. The more we go up, the more we learn.

And will the gov't decide it is too dangerous and make new laws and regulations? Oh, yeah. Right now, gov't is trying to keep us from buying our children Happy Meals with toys in them. They'd tell us how to trim our toe nails if we let them. But that doesn't mean individuals shouldn't go ahead and try to get active in space activities. (Are my colors showing? LOL!)

So yes, I think the private sector should get involved. We need enough regulation to make sure they do not do damage to the earth, space, and others who are involved in space activities, but we need them with their creativity and their money and their drive. That is what has made America great in the past--people striving to reach 'for the moon'.

At least, that is how I see it.

Gosh, I wonder what that's going to look like when it happens. Should be very interesting, but I totally agree, people need to keep reaching for the moon. :)

:iagree:

The pricate sector will almost have to get involved. They can accomplish far more not dealing with Congress, and will have the financial motivation to accomplish it more efficiently.

:iagree: