Menu

Toddler suddenly stuttering?

My daughter turned 2 1/2 today. She was making slow progress in her speech, but just in the last two weeks I've noticed that I've had a much harder time understanding her. As I've listened to her and thought about it, I've figured out that she's kind of stuttering as she talks.

Example: "Mama babababababa me Mehmehmehmehmeh" (Baba is how she says "rock-a-bye", and Mehmeh is how she pronounces her nickname). She used to say, "Mama baba Mehmeh".

Another example: "No gigigigigigi dididid babaybay Dayday!" Used to be, "No gi di baby Dayday" (She didn't want me to give her baby toys to Davy, a friend's little baby.)

She's my third child, and I'm stumped. My boys never did this. I have already made an appointment for her with Early Intervention through the school district (my second child had a mild speech delay, so I knew who to call). I had already been a little worried about her speech not coming along. It's not something she's doing to be cute, and it's been frustrating for both of us, though I'm being patient with her.

Ringing any bells? DH said he thought something like this happens when autism starts to show up in toddlers. But he's no expert on autism, and neither am I.

My middle son was in speech therapy for a year and during that time my oldest was almost 3. He was super advanced in his speech, but he started stuttering almost overnight. I asked middle ds's therapist about it and she said it is completely normal around that age. It is late so I don't remember exactly why-something about the brain making a leap and they suddenly have more mature thoughts they are trying to get out. Now my middle son is almost 3 and he just started stuttering too. I am not worried because it does seem like he is saying more complex sentences or talking about things that are not immediately in front of him. BTW, older son only did it for a few months at most. If middle DS's stuttering persists more than a few months, I will definately be looking at therapy again.

I think you are wise to call and get a professional opinon though. I definately would, but I wouldn't worry at this point.

It is prob a developmental stutter. It can show up very quickly like that. Just slooow down and relax a bit. Give her plenty of time to speak her mind.

Her big girl brain is just moving too fast for her toddler mouth.

FWIW, my son has a pretty big speech delay and also had a dev. stammer. THe SLT was able to tell the difference pretty quickly.

Both of my friend's kids had this. With the younger, it lasted, on and off, for quite a while..into first grade. As a second grader it is totally gone and his speech is beautiful.

Dd5 had speech therapy for a while. At some point during therapy she began repeating the sound at the end of words (I think it was the ending sound...can't remember for sure). It wasn't a stutter, but more like making sure she got that sound on there, since she was becoming more conscious of how she was saying words. Her therapist wasn't very concerned, advised that I not make a big deal of it to dd, and it went away before long.

It is prob a developmental stutter. It can show up very quickly like that. Just slooow down and relax a bit. Give her plenty of time to speak her mind.

Her big girl brain is just moving too fast for her toddler mouth.

:iagree:

My dd6 did that at around that age and she grew out of it. She had so much to say that her brain processed faster than it could come out of her mouth.

I had a daughter do this around 3 - out of the blue. It went on for months and did start to turn into a true stutter. We took her for an evaluation and they agreed that early intervention was needed because they saw signs of the types of conscious "ticks" people often develop when they are trying to get through a word they're hung up on. She even stopped talking after a bit because it bothered her, going back to pointing and grunting.

A child just doing ups and downs developmentally isn't usually a worry if there are no other red flags in behavior. However, a child who suddenly becomes very self-conscious over their speech, and even stops talking, or develops habits to try to cope - that is what I was told you look for if a true stutter is beginning to develop. There are other speech issues out there, so an evaluation won't hurt, but don't make too much of it initially.

Long story short - she cured herself by singing while the school drug their feet on paperwork. Yes, people who stutter usually can sing without a stutter. It's a brain thing I don't get, but she was 3 and didn't know that, she just knew the fear went away, walked around singing all day for a bit, gained confidence, and then went back to talking. The therapist was stunned. I did learn a bit about what is a red flag, what is not, and when to relax a bit, through some of this.

Edited by CLHCO
Clarification

My second and third daughter also developed a sort of stutter at 2yo. I was a bit worried, but was told that as long as a child repeats a whole word instead of a single letter, it wasn't a real stutter. They are just thinking faster than they can speak. Nevertheless, it should be over within 3 months.

My dd3 started it around her 3rd birthday. It was really intense for a time, then dropped off. Now she just does it when really excited or really tired. She was already in speech therapy and her therapist told me it was normal. She did however give me some techniques for helping dd thru it as dd was very frustrated at times by her stutter.