Menu

Airline travel during pregnancy. Safe??

If it's an uncomplicated pg, I'd say go. I've travelled on an airplane during all my pgs. Twice at 35+ weeks and no problems. My midwives/ob were all very supportive although I did make my ob nervous last time since I was coming back right at the 36 wk mark. She did give me her blessing as long as I took a copy of my medical records with me. 16 wks should be a great time to travel.

It's definitely safe, the mark where you need a doctor's OK is well beyond 16 weeks. I would also say not to do it unless morning sickness is completely finished. I was 9 or 10 weeks when we went on a 3 hour flight. I felt sooooooo sick with the food smells and people smells and stuffiness. I made it to the airport where I was finally physically ill. Horrible!

I travelled again at 12 weeks, then at 15 weeks, and both 8hr flights were fine.

Flying while pregnant is fine, and many crewmembers do it through their sixth month; I'd be more worried about just getting through security.

Given the new security screening technology, I'd limit all flying to certain airports not yet fully equipped or employing scanner machines. I already do this with my young children, and if I were pregnant I would do the same for myself.

Congratulations on your growing grandchild :)

Flying while pregnant is fine, and many crewmembers do it through their sixth month; I'd be more worried about just getting through security.

Given the new security screening technology, I'd limit all flying to certain airports not yet fully equipped or employing scanner machines. I already do this with my young children, and if I were pregnant I would do the same for myself.

Congratulations on your growing grandchild :)

Flying is safe but make sure she understands that the new x-ray technology in airports has not been tested on pregnant women and it is not yet exempt for pregnant women so make sure she knows to opt-out and get the patdown.

She might want to invest in some compression stockings from the maternity store before flying. I flew multiple times during my last pregnancy, and my OB had me wear those to help w/blood circulation.

I'm also adding my voice to having her opt out of the scanners. I don't trust them one bit. The gov't might say they're safe, but at one point, they also said that Agent Orange was safe and that there was no such thing as the Gulf War Syndrome.

As everyone else said, completely safe, but go for the pat down not the new scanner. I flew at 16ish weeks this pregnancy and will be flying again at 33 weeks. When pregnant with DD I flew to India at 20 weeks pregnant and flew home at 22 weeks pregnant with no issues and then flew around 24 weeks pregnant to my parents for Thanksgiving, again with no issues. Just make sure to get up and walk around every 90 minutes to 2 hours for a few minutes.

She might want to invest in some compression stockings from the maternity store before flying. I flew multiple times during my last pregnancy, and my OB had me wear those to help w/blood circulation.

:grouphug: I flew from Germany to Arizona when I was six months pregnant. Was so glad I hadn't taken my shoes off during the flight because my ankles were HUGE. It took two days of keeping my feet up to get them to go down. The compression stockings would really help with that!

Mary