Menu

Help me choose Latin for grade 2

plain jane

Which Latin would you choose for grade 2  

1. 1. Which Latin would you choose for grade 2

• Song School Latin
    • Prima Latina
    • Other

My ds used SSL in 1st and is using GSwL in 2nd. SSL is *fun*. There are illustrations, songs, and easy activities (matching, tracing, etc...) It is a great "hook" that encourages a young child to enjoy Latin.

GSwL is also great. We've really enjoyed it. It doesn't look at all like SSL; it's not written to children. It's not a child's curriculum book. You can see sample pages at www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com .

Even though GSwL isn't a children's book, it is the next step up from SSL. The fun aspect of GSwL for us is the great feeling both of us have after translating 10 sentences each day. My ds walks away from the table knowing that he GOT IT! It makes him feel so good!

Every now and then, my ds needs a break from GSwL. When that happens, we pull out Rummy Roots to play a game of Concentration. He's ready to move ahead in GSwL the next day.

It would be easier to start from scratch with SSL just because you'll gain a little experience that will give your child a boost of confidence. If he enjoys songs and a few easy acitivities, he would really enjoy SSL. Yet, if he has the drive, there isn't a problem starting GSwL in 2nd. Just know ahead of time it has a different look and feel compared to a curriculum written for children.

Hmmm. Can a child go from SSL in 2nd to LfC in 3rd or is that too big of a jump? Oy. I hadn't heard of GSwL and didn't realize just how many options there are. :001_huh:

I *think* my goal will be to do FF in grade 5 but want to lay down a good foundation beforehand. Sigh. I guess I have to do more research.

Hmmm. Can a child go from SSL in 2nd to LfC in 3rd or is that too big of a jump? Oy. I hadn't heard of GSwL and didn't realize just how many options there are. :001_huh:

I *think* my goal will be to do FF in grade 5 but want to lay down a good foundation beforehand. Sigh. I guess I have to do more research.

I did SSL in second grade with my son who isn't a strong reader and has poor fine motor skills. We are doing LfC A this year and I'm just taking it slow but so far he isn't having any big problems. It's definitely doable.

I would think that you need to decide what you want out of the program and what kinds of things motivate your child.

PL--a bit dry and geared towards Latin for religious purposes, with the prayers

SSL--cute and fun, some fluffy exercises, goofy songs, and much more geared towards learning words kids can see around their house or classroom.

Honestly, I think they are great programs which is why I have used both. I used PL in 1st but only done orally, and now we're doing SSL in 2nd and just reviewing the prayers from PL on a regular basis.

My oldest went from SSL in 2nd to LfC A in 3rd with no difficulty. My youngest is doing SSL right now, but he is a VERY young 2nd grader. I'm not sure he is going to be ready for LfC. They are working on SSL 2 right now. The last time I talked to them they said they thought it would be out this year.

Krista

My DD is doing LfC A after SSL, and is loving it. I do plan to go back and have her go through the DVD and textbook for LfC A-C, when she's able to handle the writing-right now, it's the chants, oral translations, and Headventureland only. We also use Minimus to get more reading/translation practice.

It depends on what you want and what would interest your student. I'm currently using SSL with my first grader who reads very well. It is lots of fun and all of the kids (ages almost 3 to 6yo) love it. It is a fun intro to start playing with the language. Prima Latina, which I plan to use next year as our main course with Minimus as a fun supplement, would be a more serious introduction.

We're using SSL in 2nd, and wish we had done it last year instead. Ds7 finds it babyish, and isn't getting a lot out of it. I'll save it to use with our second son when he's in 1st. I'm sorely disappointed. :tongue_smilie:

Next year, for 3rd, we'll try the new Latin Primer by Martha Wilson. It looks great!

I'm still searching for a good option for 2nd, so :bigear:

We're doing a combination of SSL & GSWL, and that's working great. Both are very gentle programs. SSL is fun and conversational. It really helped him learn pronunciation. GSWL has both vocabulary and syntax. There are translations every lesson, and ds is starting to prefer this program to the "fun" approach of SSL. I think the two complement each other very well, and I'm expecting ds to be ready for LfC after this year.