Menu

do you iron?

....I actually love ironing. I have an old skool iron (I've been through irons and this one is my fave), and I think it's so relaxing. I have an ironing board on my laundry room wall, but when I get the chance I love taking out he big one, setting it up in my bedroom and ironing while I watch movies.

I dunno. When I was a kid mom paid me to iron dad's shirts. *shrugs* It's calming.

And I love how my vintage aprons look when they're all starched and crisp, hanging on the multi level hanger. Table linens, napkins (the good ones) dh's shirts when he needs them, slacks. Hems when I sew. And yeah, I'd iron a sheet hem, too if it were all crumbled up wrong. *g*

Edited by justamouse

Wow. This thread is awesome. Growing up, I watched my mom and grandma iron their "basket of ironing" every week. Then as a teen, for spending money, I ironed for my uncle who is a doctor.

So for almost twenty years as a grown woman with my own household I have felt guilty about my lack of ironing! In our house, ironing is infrequent- usually for interviews or events or family pictures, occasionally for church. My husband will sometimes iron for church, but usually we just dry clean or launder his dress clothes.

We used to iron a lot more often, when I worked and wore professional clothing and he wore a uniform. But now he wears scrubs and I wear homeschooling mama attire.... so nope, not much ironing going on! I've always felt like I wasn't doing my housewifely duty, with the dryer-ironing trick, but I see I am not alone! :D

I do not iron. I won't buy clothes that need ironing. My brother came over and needed to iron a shirt (younger brother, single guy, lives very close by) and I had to unearth it from under a pile of laundry. I used to have to iron my father's shirts when I was younger. My parents paid me for this chore, but I still hated it. :p

I will do it if I have to, but I try not to put myself in that position! :) Most of my 'dress-up' wardrobe is made of materials that don't wrinkle easily, and I don't care if my casual clothes have some wrinkles.

DH is very picky about his uniform for work, especially the shirts, so most of the time he has them professionally cleaned. Our dry cleaner recognizes us and immediately says, "Heavy starch, creased sleeves, right?"

Dh irons almost daily, dress shirt and slacks.

I iron my clothes a few times per week. It is really fast and simple but I grew up ironing everything even t-shirts and jeans so I am pretty fast at it.

I taught ds16 to iron dress shirts and slacks this summer. He has ironed a few things since then on his own.

I have a nice Rowenta Iron and an ironing board set up at all times so it only takes a minute to do it. Once I ironed on my MIL's iron and it was horrible. Some old, non-stick cheap thing. It made me really appreciate what a difference it makes.

Dh irons almost daily, dress shirt and slacks.

I iron my clothes a few times per week. It is really fast and simple but I grew up ironing everything even t-shirts and jeans so I am pretty fast at it.

I taught ds16 to iron dress shirts and slacks this summer. He has ironed a few things since then on his own.

I have a nice Rowenta Iron and an ironing board set up at all times so it only takes a minute to do it. Once I ironed on my MIL's iron and it was horrible. Some old, non-stick cheap thing. It made me really appreciate what a difference it makes.

Do you mind sharing what the model you got? I'm all for getting a new iron if it will cut my work time down.

Geez - I must be an OC crazy :001_huh: I iron every day and I iron everything. Yes even the kids playclothes and even when we aren't going out. It's just a habit I guess - my mum always ironed everything and now I do too. In fact I can't stand wearing something that hasn't been ironed - it feels messy to me.

I don't have a dryer though - everything is line dryed and tossed in the ironing basket so it gets wrinkly I guess. I like to iron though - very soothing and I like to see the wrinkles disappear into smoothness - yes I know - OC. I've been known to be late for appointments because I have to iron my or the kids clothes before we go somewhere LOL.

My DH doesn't iron his clothes and it just looks so sloppy to me.

Anyway a funny about this. I took my kids to playgroup and the playgroup leader laughed and said that she could tell I iron my clothes because my kids all knew how to use the play ironing board and iron. She said that a lot of kids don't even know what the toy is for. As if on cue my 17 month old walks up to the ironong board -grabs the iron and starts ironing doll clothes:lol: so yeah I guess I spend a lot of time ironing :D

Honestly thoough this is my only OC I promise - the rest of my house is so not "wrinkle free":lol:

Anyway a funny about this. I took my kids to playgroup and the playgroup leader laughed and said that she could tell I iron my clothes because my kids all knew how to use the play ironing board and iron. She said that a lot of kids don't even know what the toy is for. As if on cue my 17 month old walks up to the ironong board -grabs the iron and starts ironing doll clothes:lol: so yeah I guess I spend a lot of time ironing :D

LOL Awwww cute. :tongue_smilie:

I iron my husband's shirts for work. To me, this is easier than having to drop them off and pick them up from the cleaners, dragging the kids in and out with me each time. Around here, the police will be called if you leave kids waiting even if you are only ten feet away and they are in full view. The law is 20 feet, but they can be called for any distance and once they are called, it is an automatic CPS report, so they have to walk in and walk out with me even just to go 10 feet from the car, hand over a ticket, and walk out with shirts. My husband could do this himself, but he doesn't. When I have tried to have him do it, both times I ended up being called on to go get his clothes. Taking our kids on errands drives me crazy and I hate it, so I will just do the ironing myself.

No. I use this wonderful product by Melaleuca called Revive. You spray it on, and the wrinkles fall out. It's incredible. (I tried a similar product by Downy and it was terrible.)

DH likes his dress shirts with a light starch, so we take those to the cleaners. Otherwise, I use Revive on everything.

I iron every couple of weeks or so. It is usually for little girl clothes but there's a few of my things. My DH irons his own stuff. He's military and doesn't like how I do it. Sometimes he'll go on and iron everyone's stuff while he's at it. My girls have a ton of clothes that need ironing!

While I don't "love" to iron, I do love my hubby going to work in a shirt with creases in teh sleeves. We have no control over the shirts as he gets thru the company with a company logo on them. Many of them are 100percent cotton and there is no other way to get them looking nice besides ironing them. He has enough shirts that I only have to iron every couple of weeks. I reward myself with a movie and iron for a couple of hours. Job done and I enjoyed myself to some degree.

I also iron as I sew.

I don't iron, but dh does. He has to wear a suit-type work uniform and the shirts must be ironed. Because of traveling he only irons the shirt for the first day and takes care of the others once he gets to his destination. His pants are perma-press and do fine without regular ironing. For awhile he and ds were sharing an iron. Ds had to iron uniforms for Civil Air Patrol. Then dh got mad that ds was ruining the iron with starch so he bought himself a new iron. So now we have 2 irons. But I still don't iron. Dh prefers to do it himself since he's better at it than I am. :tongue_smilie:

I iron every couple of weeks. My dh wears dress shirts/ties every day for work. He has enough shirts he can go three full weeks. I use liquid starch and those puppies come out bulletproof. He's a restaurant manager and they stand up to 12 hour days. But I did make him promise his next job he'd wear polos:001_smile:

I have a Rowenta Focus iron. I really like it (LOTS of steam). It is $80 at Bed Bath and Beyond and you can use the 20% off coupon.

Thank you so much. May I ask how long you have had it?? I remember owning a Rowenta years ago, it wasn't that model though I don't think, but it was expensive and while it worked it was great, but it died really early on. Even faster than the cheapy ones. I wonder if I just got a dud or a not so great model. :confused:

Thank you so much. May I ask how long you have had it?? I remember owning a Rowenta years ago, it wasn't that model though I don't think, but it was expensive and while it worked it was great, but it died really early on. Even faster than the cheapy ones. I wonder if I just got a dud or a not so great model. :confused:

I have only had this one about 7 months. I had a Rowenta before that (good but not quite as nice as this one) lasted about 5 years. I thought that was pretty good, if this one lasts that long I will be happy.

I have only had this one about 7 months. I had a Rowenta before that (good but not quite as nice as this one) lasted about 5 years. I thought that was pretty good, if this one lasts that long I will be happy.

5 years on an iron isn't bad. I'd take that and be happy.

The Rowenta I had didn't last anywhere near that long. I think it died in like 5-6 months. I was really disappointed.

Pray tell, what is this iron thing that you speak of? I think I used to own both an iron and a board but I honestly have not used it in 15 years? I think my Suzy Homemaker took it with her when she left. Her fiance' not only knows how to use one but does on a regular basis. He can sew as well. Have I mentioned that he was homeschooled? :)