Menu

HOD Placement?

mom2koh

OK HOD users I need input. :001_smile:

I am looking into HOD for my dd who will be 7 in the fall. She'll be at the third grade level for math and grammar, she's reading at a 5th grade + level and already knows cursive, she memorizes poems and bible verses quite easily already and she can independently look up passages in the bible (usually requiring little to no help). On the placement chart this showed she would be ready for Preparing.

Would Preparing be OK for her? Would the concepts be too much. Just because she meets the check list I worry about placing her there. That would mean the following year we would be using CTC when she's 8!:confused:

Any advice?

I use HOD and I would personally put her in Bigger with the extension package for the reasons you stated - having her in CtC at age 8 would be a bit hard. My own daughter is 10 and also a high level reader. She is doing Preparing this year and it is a great fit. She is doing 5th grade math and English and is doing the extension books for the 5-6th graders and it is working wonderfully. There are some questions and concepts that I think would be hard for a younger child. I am glad I placed her where I did. She will be much more prepared to take full advantage of the coming guides at more appropriate age/maturity.

I use HOD and I would personally put her in Bigger with the extension package for the reasons you stated - having her in CtC at age 8 would be a bit hard. My own daughter is 10 and also a high level reader. She is doing Preparing this year and it is a great fit. She is doing 5th grade math and English and is doing the extension books for the 5-6th graders and it is working wonderfully. There are some questions and concepts that I think would be hard for a younger child. I am glad I placed her where I did. She will be much more prepared to take full advantage of the coming guides at more appropriate age/maturity.

I have a similar situation and wonder if you can tell us what the extension activities are like in Preparing. Do they just read the extension books or are there additional assignments? Thanks.

I agree with either calling HOD or going to the HOD boards and asking. Carrie (the author) and her sister are both active on the boards and can assist you. I would lean towards putting her in Bigger though with extensions if you feel she needs more. Especially if you aren't coming from a CM background, Bigger would give her a chance to work on some of the skills like dictation, narration, etc that she may not be familiar with.

I have a similar situation and wonder if you can tell us what the extension activities are like in Preparing. Do they just read the extension books or are there additional assignments? Thanks.

There was just a post about this on the HOD boards if you happen to be a member over there. But basically, they read the extension books and then have different ways of showing what they learned - oral narration, written narration, and one other one that I can't remember right off hand. They also complete the regular activities assigned in Preparing.