Menu

Is anyone using Minimus (Latin)?

WiseOwlKnits

I like Minimus, my 8 yo really likes it. I'm actually pulling GSWL to 3 lessons a week so we can spend a little more time on Minimus. I think it's mainly helping him see that Latin is a language, not just a translation exercise. (Oh, and we do not have the teachers guide.)

Amy

I like Minimus, my 8 yo really likes it. I'm actually pulling GSWL to 3 lessons a week so we can spend a little more time on Minimus. I think it's mainly helping him see that Latin is a language, not just a translation exercise. (Oh, and we do not have the teachers guide.)

Amy

Thanks! Do you think Minimus would work as a stand-alone?

Do you already know Latin? The only Latin i know is from SSL so I'm wondering if you can get by without the teacher's guide without a background in Latin?

I'm using it this year for my 2nd grader and love it. We used SSL last year, too, and I felt that it at least gave him a good handle on pronunciation and a few basic words, but Minimus is much more in-depth. I am not a Latin speaker, but we seem to be doing all right. We're taking it VERY slowly, and I fully expect it'll take all of this year and next to get through all of Minimus, but who cares because it's FUN! DS loves when I tell him it's Latin time. I do have the teacher's guide and am very grateful for it because it has a lot of sheets in the back that can be copied and also contains suggested activities that add to the fun.

My daughter LOVED Minimus when she did it last year. I can't say she remembered much, but she got a wonderful taste for Latin and is eager to learn more. It's a perfect starter for 2nd-4th graders, but if you have high expectations for mastery of Latin, you'll be disappointed. The teachers guide had some nice worksheets and games to go along with the program. I bought mine for the ridiculous price of $65 and sold it for $55. It was worth the $10 definitely.

Thanks! Do you think Minimus would work as a stand-alone?

Do you already know Latin? The only Latin i know is from SSL so I'm wondering if you can get by without the teacher's guide without a background in Latin?

Sure! I'm thinking about having my next child do Minimus first, then GSWL. But we shall see. (The best laid plans...)

And I'm learning Latin so I know much more than my son. I'm using Lingua Latina. Makes it easier for sure. Linney's Latin Class is 100% free if you get the book off Google Books - he is the author of GSWL. I dabble in that when LL confuses me. But Mr. Linney's class might help you stay ahead of your kiddo.

Amy

We did SSL for my 2nd grader last year and I did Minimus over the summer (it stretched into fall) then we started LfC A in November. I liked Minimus (and I did LfC A last year with my older son) so I understood most of it but it is a whole to parts way of learning that, honestly, isn't best for me. It was cute and I think a fun supplement but I don't see it being a full curriculum for a year, it's only 12 chapters - just not enough content.

Both my girls used Minimus and Minimus Secundus, and they loved it. My oldest went on to Oxford Latin following Secundus (then Wheelock's), and my younger daughter moved into Lively Latin, and is now using Latin Alive.

They loved Minimus, and have very fond memories of it. I'm using it this year with my 4th grader, since he's still working on his English language skills, so he's not quite ready for a more rigorous Latin program.

I do have a Latin background, but I don't think Minimus requires it. The accompanying CD is useful, if you're uncomfortable reading the Latin on your own.

Guest CarolineUK

DS9 and I did Minimus last year and really enjoyed it. I was very glad to have the Teachers Manual and CD as I didn't have any experience of Latin before (though my degree is in French and Spanish and that did help a bit). We're just starting Minimus Secundus now. I get the feeling that Minimus is a more of a taster for Latin rather than a rigorous course, which is fine for us. The main benefits I think have been in gaining a better understanding of the roots of language and grammatical concepts. The historical background is also very interesting - we took a trip to Vindolanda, which is only a two hour drive from us (DS9 was bitterly disappointed with it :sad:) and York (40 minutes away), so we really did get quite a lot from Minimus :001_smile:.

I did not like minimus. I really don't like parts to whole language instruction.

I also find I need more guidance as a teacher.

We are going to complete Lively Latin in the spring. I am thinking Minimus would be a nice way to finish the year before moving on to higher instruction. We already have lots of grammar instruction covered so I think he will get much more out of it, this time around.