Menu

Any parents of Preemies out there?

Hi to all,

I hope this message reaches you all in good health and great spirit. I was just wandering if anyone out there have children that were preemies? If so do they have any disabilities or challenges(physically, metally or behavior wise) that are due to their premature birth? Maybe something that you didn't notice before but you have noticed due to being their primary educator.

My oldest who will be 7 in march, was born born at 23 weeks gestation. We were told he would have a host of medical issues, but none really surfaced other than having some visual problems (he is blind in one eye) and needing lots of intense therapies for building his strength in upper and lowerbody. He is kinda quirky, in like a Steve Urkel way and has a photographic memory. I haven't come across any learning or social challenges, but I am always holding my breathe as we were told that is was normal for "issues or problems" to be there for children born this early. I am constantly looking at other children his age to gauge his development. I don't with my other children since they were born at full term. I sometimes wonder if I am not seeing something that others see.

Anywho, just wanting to know if there others out there like me. If so does the feeling that "something could be processing differently here" go away? Thanks for listening, I guess I just wanted "say" this outloud as I haven't really voiced this to anyone but my husband.

Warmest Regards,

Candace

My DD17 was 28 weeks gestation. She has always been pretty healthy with no complications. When she was born they made a huge deal about and extra set of ribs and a vertebre that never separated correctly. They said it may cause scholiosis in the future. So far no problems. She has always struggled with math and can't retain information. I'm not sure if they have any link.

My DD8 was a 35 weeker and she has the same math issues and retention problems. Again, I'm not sure if Amy of it is related. She was 35 weeks but waste considered a preemie and went home with me immediately.

My DD17 was in the hospital for 7 weeks.

3 preemies. One at 34 weeks, two at 32weeks. The 34 weeker had/has some sensory issues and dyslexia. One of the 32 weekers has auditory processing disorder and dyslexia. I don't know if any of it has to do with prematurity or not; it runs in dh's family pretty strong anyway. I did use the twins due date when considering when to have them officially become kindergarten aged. Since they were close to the cut off, it did make a difference.

Edited by Lolly

My DS7 was a preemie, twins born at 29 weeks. One died after 11 days due to NEC.

DS7 went through all the therapies, ie physical, cognitive, speech. He was delayed for many milestones when younger.

Now, looking at him and interacting with him, you would never know he was premature. He does not have any health issues or physical issues.

I do think that I gave him, and perhaps continue to give him, "grace" due to his prematurity. You know, along with normal milestones, he was late on potty training, like almost 3 1/2. I think I did not want to pressure him because of thinking that that is just part of him, things will come later.

He never had any interest in school type stuff, so even though in my mind, I wanted to start by age 4 on basic stuff, he had no interest. My thought, was oh, we'll do it as he got older. But even as he hit age 5 and I felt we should be doing something, he had no interest, and struggled with what we did do...."things will come later". Now at 7, he struggles a bit with schooling. It is getting better but it is alot of effort.

I am always on the alert for issues with him. I just think, that his brain is wired slightly different, since he came out of the womb before his brain was fully formed, ya know. You know, those basic things like babies are born knowing how to suck, he had to LEARN and struggled at that, because that is a reflex formed in the last trimester, and he didn't get a last trimester.

I am always watching for issues. With his learning issues, I sometimes think dyslexia, because it does tend to be a problem with preemies, from what I have heard. I somethinks think he has visual tracking issues, from watching his eyes when we do school work and he is constantly looking at anything but the paper. Preemies often have eye issues due to the oyxgen they are on affecting eye growth, and I remember going to a few appointments after we finally went home from the NICU especially to check his eyes. They were always fine but that doesn't mean they haven't developed an issue since then. Sometimes I wonder if there is a bit of ADD/ADHD type thing there, but I think mostly he is just a very active boy, but I bet if he went to public school, they would throw that on him.

So I do get what you are saying. Even though most of my worries can and do happen to children who weren't preemies, in the back of my mind, I am always wondering what issues will crop up that are still related to his prematurity.

DS1 was born at 32 weeks. He seems to be typical in every way. I know we are very lucky and I don't take it for granted. He was 'big' for gestational age and the doctors said that would help a great deal. he was 4lbs when he was born. They told me to expect a 1 or 2 lb baby. Given his femur length and skull size they know he was 32 weeks.

Love you you all. I know how hard it was and how scary it can be.

To the OP, if you think something isn't typical then do what you can to figure it out. It really doesn't 'matter' if it is due to prematurity. I mean, it does to you but if they are eval'd etc it doesn't really make a difference.

FWIW, my DS2 was not a preemie He has a host of developmental delays. Go figure.

My twins were only 4weeks early.. Ds and Dd both have asthma, but then so do my two full term babies.

Ds#1 has Asperger Syndrome, Sensory Integration Disorder, ADD... but Ds#2 has ADHD, Ds#3 has Autism Spectrum Disorder. So for my preemies.. I doubt their issues have anything to do with being preemies.

But I was born 12 weeks preemie and my parents were told that I would have brain damage and would be "retarded". This was 44 years ago. I turned out much better than doctors predicted. Early childhood I had some health issues and got sick easy. I was still very active in sports and joined the Navy when I was 18. I did develop asthma while in the Navy and now have severe issues with it. I also have ADHD. I did have to work hard in school and struggled at times. But then again, I missed alot of school in my elementary years and I attended several schools (11 schools in 13 years). I did pretty good in college and earned my B.S. degree. I worked in aviation electronics for 5 yrs in the Navy, I worked in biomedical engineering for 6 yrs in a V.A. Hospital. I majored in biomedical engineering until my health put a halt to that and I had to change majors. Now I am on full disability due to my asthma. Otherwise, I have a pretty normal and full life that my being premature didn't stop me.

My twins were born at 27.5 weeks. They have had no long term problems from being premature. In fact, other than the time spent in the NICU, they have been healthier than any other kids I know. I know as a mom of preemies I tend to be much more vigilant for and aware of potential problems and you are probably the same. One twin is going through puberty early (not abnormal early, just early) and I often wonder if it is related to her being premature and all the drugs they were given while in the NICU. Who knows.

If there is something telling you "this isn't quite right," get is checked out. It may or may not have something to do with his prematurity and it might not. It might be nothing at all, but I would check just in case to set your mind at ease.

My nephew was born at 26 weeks. He's 26 years old now. He had some lower body strength issues. My sister always wondered if he has a touch of cerebral palsy. It didn't affect his walking, but he couldn't play sports at school like he wanted. He's on the small side physically, but not severely so. Just kind of average in our family of tall men. He had not other issues that I'm aware of. He's a college graduate and married now.

My twins were born at 33 weeks and pretty big for their gestational age. They both have asthma, one very severely. He spends a week or so in the hospital every year due to pneumonia. He also has a hyper-reactive immune system The other has severe speech, language, anxiety and now reading disorders. He can barely read at all at 10 y.o. but completely understands phonics, it just doesn't come together for him- partially due to his speech and language difficulties and partially due to a processing issue. They are the sweetest things ever though :)

Oh wait they also both have to wear glasses I forgot that lol They are far-sighted. One needs glasses only for reading, the other has more going on so he has to wear them all the time. Okay I think that is all!

Edited by ds4159

I had a 2.3lb 29 weeker. He's now 6.5 and doing just fine. He spent 7 weeks in the NICU. He has no delays or problems that I am aware of so far, but like a pp, I do give him extra time and grace on things. We just started K this past fall after he had turned 6, but that's typical for many boys who aren't preemie. The only thing with my ds is that he's small and has been tracked closely for his weight for some time now. His height is okay - 25th% - but his weight is too low, so he's on a prescription med to help his appetite.

I'm sure yours is fine, but I agree to talk to your pediatrician if you have a nagging concern.

My twins were born around 33 weeks, though due to TTTS, their sizes were smaller, with my second born the size of a baby 5 weeks younger than she was.

I think it was due to this that they had different learning abilities and grew at different rates, though they are identical. My smallest twin was, surprisingly enough, often a couple inches ahead, and had more developed lungs, because babies in crisis during pregnancy usually have certain things kick in to help them to survive. Her twin had more trouble breathing, having to go on oxygen for a time.

On the flip side, my smallest twin had minor auditory processing issues (suspected anyway), focus problems, and struggled a lot more at times academically, until the last few years. Somewhere along the line she learned to overcome those struggles. I can see hardly any difference today academically, outside of differences due to their personalities, and they have evened out to the same height.

One "super" preemie, born at 26 weeks, but that didn't end well. Then an early termer (barely 36wks) with a host of early medical issues - NICU stays, hospitalization, metabolic issues... For her first year of life despite not truly being a preemie (because, let's face it, after having a pre 28 week baby it's hard to see ANY baby born after 32 weeks as having the same issues) we were constantly assessing and re-assessing her health, milestones, and well being.

With her, the "all clear" feeling came with her first birthday.

I suppose at some point you'll feel the "all clear" do you think? Not waiting for the other shoe to drop?

My niece and nephew were born at 30 weeks. My nephew arrived first, weighing in at almost 6 lbs and screaming his head off. Next came my niece, all 2 pounds of her, gray as can be and not thought to survive until they could get her to the NICU.

Fast forward 10.5 years. Niece doesn't have any problems - learning, physical, attention, etc. Nephew - oh my - major learning difficulties, behavior problems, food allergies, impulse control, etc. The behavior issues are pretty much dealt with through a very restricted diet.

Both are excellent athletes, very tall and thin for their ages and HOMESCHOOLED! (I love my SIL!) If you met them on the street, you would never know they very premmies.

My dd was born at 26 weeks weighing 1 pound 14 oz. She will be 4 in March. She has struggled with feeding issues and poor weight gain until this year. Size wise she has caught up and no one would suspect she was a preemie. She actually doubled her weight in the last 18 months and grew over 6 inches. The eating issues resolved most after beginning oral motor therapy to increase tongue movement and overall oral strength. She is in 6 hours of therapy a week for low muscle tone and other related issues. She is supposedly doing well in therapy and it is questionable if she will qualify again at review, but I don't see as much progress as the therapists are claiming. I suspect cognitive delays however and see some processing problems in her that I often saw in other children with cognitive delays when I was working in preK special ed. I notice she isn't conversing as well as other kids her age, she definately isn't able to keep up physically, and sometimes she seems less mature in general.

She struggled with immunity issues until this year. While she hasn't had any major illness yet this winter or any ear infections yet, she has had a nonstop cold since about October. We have also done fewer activities with other children so I wonder if that is part of the reason why she is healthier.

She is nearsighted but the doctors don't feel it is enough to prescribe glasses yet. That may change at her appointment in April though. She is very light sensitive now and doesn't like having her picture taken if she is expected to look at the camera.

My son IS quite a miracle! I was told that he is now a case study for some medical schools. He was born weighing 1 pound 4.5 oz. He spent 17 weeks in the nicu. On the ventilation machine for about 7 weeks, which caused lung damage which lead to chronic lung disease. He has had SEVERAL blood tranfusion, infections, you name he had he...except brain bleeds. After he left the NICU everything just kinda healed(from much prayer!).

He is very near sighted and without peripheral vision in the one eye he can see out of. He also has some problems with perception....he is not as fast as other children and sometimes he tires quickly, he still needs alot of help with buttons, shoe laces, the sort of stuff that requires your fingertips. He has started piano for building strength and already I can see a difference in his abilities.

I still have a fear that after the nicu everything has been so smooth that something is bound to show up. I don't know...