Menu

Can you help me buy a piano keyboard?

Alicia64

I'd like to order the Piananimals curriculum and have them start to learn piano before I shell out the big bucks on lessons.

The piananimals people said that I should get, "

at least 61 keys... more is always better....and definitely one with touch response that will take a pedal."

But which brand? Any suggestions? I don't even know where to start.

Also if you have a piano curriculum that you can recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Alley

Our housing situation still isn't settled so I don't want to deal with moving a piano. Once we're settled it would great to have a piano.

However I have heard that tuning a piano every year costs around $300 so I'm semi-thinking of eventually getting one of those really fancy keyboards at Costco that go for around $1400.

For now I need something in the $60 to $150 range. Do they exist?

Alley

Our housing situation still isn't settled so I don't want to deal with moving a piano. Once we're settled it would great to have a piano.

However I have heard that tuning a piano every year costs around $300 so I'm semi-thinking of eventually getting one of those really fancy keyboards at Costco that go for around $1400.

For now I need something in the $60 to $150 range. Do they exist?

Alley

Where we live, tuning is around $80 per time. Some pianos need to be tuned twice per year in the very beginning, but I think most pianos only need to be tuned once per year.

The fancy keyboards you are referring to from Costco are probably digital pianos (full-size, 88 weighted keys, pedals, headphone jack and other digital features). We are currently in the market for a digital piano. I saw that Costco has a Suzuki for around $800, though DH said he read reviews about the keys not being the right width, or something...

We have been totally happy with our keyboard, and prefer it to the real thing. There are many advantages to a keyboard over a piano.

The one we have is the Yamaha YPG 525. It meets all of your requirements and runs around $750. We've had it about five years (and have not had one problem with it). They probably have a newer model out now.

We have Pianimals and we have a keyboard. It's a Casio CTK-533. We got it years ago at Sam's Club for $100. Still works perfect and I love it. We don't plan on getting a piano (absolutely no room for one). It has 100 Tones, 100 Rhythms, and 100 Songs. It has 61 keys (36 white keys and 25 black keys).

I wouldn't waste money on a keyboard, unless you're thinking of it more as a toy for the kids to plunk around on. I'd go for a digital piano with weighted keys. A Yamaha Arius (YDP) is a good quality entry-level kind of digital piano that sounds natural and has weighted keys. I think they're between 1000-2000 depending on features.

Well, I hate to spend that kind of money when I'm dealing with seven year olds. It's all up to them, but I want them somewhat into piano before I shell out the big bucks.

So I love the Casio idea. For little guys, it sounds perfect.

Thank you everyone; I really appreciate it.

Alley

Oops, I meant "it's not all up to them." I plan to encourage practice whether they're "feeling it or not." However, my point is that if they really are not piano people it will be awful to have spent 1 to 2,000 on a nice keyboard that doesn't get used.

Okay, thanks again!

Alley

Even though our keyboard wasn't expensive compared to some, we don't view it as a toy at all. It's held up so well, it's almost like new still, and I would imagine it will give us many more years of fun. To me, it is our piano; and that's fine with me. Alley, I PM'd you about something, so check your messages. :001_smile:

April/May ~ I'm so sorry I didn't respond last night. I was jamming trying to research this piano stuff and get the kids in bed at the same time.

Not only did I see your excellent recommendation, but I had dh take a long look at it and I'm buying it today.

THANK YOU!!! You saved me a ton of work. Your "we love it; buy this" is exactly what I needed.

I get so exhausted by, not only homeschooling, but also doing all the research into the many curriculum.

Now, if you have any suggestions for seven year old Spanish, I'm all ears. I think I've settled on Song School Latin for an intro. course.

I think I should be settled for a few months.

Thanks again for the Casio rec!!

Alley

April/May ~ I'm so sorry I didn't respond last night. I was jamming trying to research this piano stuff and get the kids in bed at the same time.

Not only did I see your excellent recommendation, but I had dh take a long look at it and I'm buying it today.

THANK YOU!!! You saved me a ton of work. Your "we love it; buy this" is exactly what I needed.

I get so exhausted by, not only homeschooling, but also doing all the research into the many curriculum.

Now, if you have any suggestions for seven year old Spanish, I'm all ears. I think I've settled on Song School Latin for an intro. course.

Alley

I'm glad I could help. I know you'll love it! Did you get the PM?? I just sent you a PM message a few minutes ago about a used one I found. I hope you get the message and at least have that option too before you buy brand new (I have no idea what they cost new right now). So.....look up above this page by your Private Messages!

I get so exhausted by, not only homeschooling, but also doing all the research into the many curriculum. I hear 'ya!!

Right now my 7 year old is working through Hooked on Spanish. It's the 3 level set; she's on level 1. They say it's for ages 4-6 (so you might not be interested in that), but my daughter still thinks it's fun. It only teaches very basic Spanish. Soon we will be starting La Clase Divertida (The Fun Class).

Alley

:001_smile: