Menu

Since we're talking sheets - How often do you wash them?

Wash the sheets how often, assuming no incident?  

1. 1. Wash the sheets how often, assuming no incident?

• Once a week or more often
    • Every other week
    • Maybe every month. Probably.
    • Meh. Whenever.
    • Some other permutation.

Inevitable poll coming up.

I have a SIL who thinks it's the Apocalypse if the sheets are not washed every week. Another SIL says, "Meh. Maybe once a month, unless there's an incident of some kind." I actually vary between something like the first SIL and something like the second.

We take baths and showers and wash up. We are clean when we get into the bed, our pajamas are clean, our hair is clean. We air the beds out every morning, then make them up. How dirty can the sheets be?

FWIW, when my girls were babies, I washed their sheets nearly every DAY. Leaks, you know... But none of us has ever slept on dirty sheets.

Okay, I'm about to out myself as the obsessive freak that I am: I wash sheets every other day, or every third day at the most.

We're all allergic to dust mites, and my kids (and husband) are really sweaty sleepers, so I consider it necessary.

Plus I just really love the feeling of brand-new clean sheets. :D

Cleaning my kids' sheets is a near-certain invitation for someone to pee in the bed, or better yet, throw up, especially if my cleaning included comforter covers and mattress pads.

No way am I up for a weekly cleaning of 3 twins, a full and a king. They'll need a cleaning soon enough, after someone takes a chocolate milk up there and spills, or commits the aforementioned pee/vomit. The two toddler cribs I clean at least weekly.

Pillowcases I do more often than sheets.

ETA: DH dirties the sheets by sleeping with no shirt on. (I mean from dead skin. get your mind out of the gutter.)

We live in a dry climate if that makes any difference.

Edited by wapiti

My vote was Meh...whenever. My goal is every two weeks, but in reality is usually around once a month. I used to be better about it, but then this happened to me: BUNK BEDS.

If you ever come for an overnight visit, you'll get clean sheets...I promise!

Yep, bunk beds here too--2 sets of them, plus a full bed and our king (and a crib, although I do wash those sheets much more frequently). I also end up washing about once a month, unless there's an accident or sickness or something, but I do also wash pillowcases more often. For me right now--sheets are about the last priority!

Saturdays, every single bed in the house gets stripped and washed. Wednesdays, every single pillowcase gets washed, so pillowcases get washed 2xs a week. When I was in my teen years, I had bad acne and pillowcases got changed nightly, it help A LOT!

I get the heebie jeebies thinking of sleeping on sheets more than 1 week:lol:. I know we are clean, but we lose skin nightly, and I've seen those critters under a microscope:D.

I know clean sheets doesn't make them go away, but we deep vacuum our beds once a month, too; even with allergy covers --- you can say I'm a bit compulsive about clean sleeping spaces.

I have dh do ours every 10 days. I say dh because the kids use bunk beds and I can't reach the top bunks to put on new ones. :o So, dh does it.

I simply mark out on our family calendar which days are bedsheet days and which bedsheets to do and he does it. :) We can't do all our sheets in one day since a load takes too long to wash/dry so it ends up being a 6/days per month process.

Of course if one of the younger kids has an accident we wash the sheets that day and then I re-do the "schedule" on the calendar to reflect 10 days from that date.

Okay, I'm about to out myself as the obsessive freak that I am: I wash sheets every other day, or every third day at the most.

We're all allergic to dust mites, and my kids (and husband) are really sweaty sleepers, so I consider it necessary.

Plus I just really love the feeling of brand-new clean sheets. :D

Every Monday. I don't care if anything else gets done, but fresh sheets and towels are essential.

I am a Monday sheet washer because my husband is allergic to dust mites. If you don't regularly wash your sheets those little critters build up in there because they eat your skin. That's right --- they eat your skin and then they leave their microscopic dust mite poop all over your bed. In ten years, your mattress will double in weight from it! It's a fact.

Bet you want to wash your sheets a little bit more now, don't cha? :tongue_smilie:

We are clean when we go to bed so I wonder just how dirty sheets can get. I usually get them washed every other week, but sometimes it is shorter and sometimes it is longer.

:iagree: Same here. We are evening bath/shower people, so I figure our sheets should be very clean. I change them within 24 hours of any illness involving a fever, though.

Bet you want to wash your sheets a little bit more now, don't cha? :tongue_smilie:

Ew! No, but now I really want to replace my 10-year-old mattress!

I voted whenever. I'd really love to be able to say I did it weekly, because I love fresh sheets, but in reality, sheets are so low on the list of things I need to focus on that I'm lucky if it happens once a month! The girls' sheets are pretty much washed every month or so unless there's an incident, but DH's and mine are washed more frequently--every two-three weeks maybe? DH is a sweaty dude sometimes. I also wash pillowcases much more frequently.

Edited by melissel

Every other week. I would love to change the sheets more often, as I love the feel of freshly washed sheets. But it takes so much effort. (Plus I need a nice weather day to dry them.) But I always change the sheets before traveling, so I can come home to clean sheets. It makes me happy.

Allergies make me diligent with changing sheets. I also throw the pillows in a hot dryer for an hour once a week.

But, I don't think I would be so militant about the cleanliness of sheets, if I didn't have a dh and boys with severe allergies. (That's the kicker-I have no allergies what so ever but have to clean like a crazy woman to keep the men in my life healthy.)

Every other week.

But out of every 14 days, we probably only spend 9-10 of those in our bed. We go home to visit family every other weekend, and usually spend a night or two a week at a friends house.

I generally wash the same day I'm packing up to leave, then we sleep on the couch that night, and come home to clean sheets. :D