Menu

Sensory issues and potty training

mo2

Let them potty learn, do not potty train. They need to know their body, I firmly belive that you do not "train" a child, they must know their body and with a child whom has sensory issues, this is even harder. J was 3.4yrs before he potty learned and even today at 7.2yrs he doesn't let us know until it is almost too late.

Let them potty learn, do not potty train. They need to know their body, I firmly belive that you do not "train" a child, they must know their body and with a child whom has sensory issues, this is even harder. J was 3.4yrs before he potty learned and even today at 7.2yrs he doesn't let us know until it is almost too late.

Yep you pretty much have a choice live your life by the clock and train yourself to take your child to the potty every few minutes and clean up messes or wait till they figure it out...dd started wanting to potty in the potty at 16 months but was not able to go consistently until the last few months at 3. Even so when she is going somewhere where I know the sensory input will be high she is in pull ups because she is not aware enough of that sensation to urinate when she is seeking or super busy with physical play.

I know you are frustrated. :grouphug:Instead of pull ups have you tried regular underwear with plastic diaper covers on top? The diaper covers will mostly keep outer clothing dry. If you haven't, you may want to bring it up with the pediatrician to amke certain nothing medical is going on. Otherwise, it will only happen in his own good time.

Guest Matushka

Our Z had a really hard time knowing when she had to go or even when she had already gone. She was determined to wear underwear like her twin sister. She eventually learned to remind herself to go periodically. To help her learn when she was wet, we put her in cloth diapers with plastic covers. We thought other diapers were too "dry" when they were wet. I don't think it helped HER feel it better because she still can't tell when she's wet or dry. She moved into underwear at 4 but continues in diapers at night now at 6 1/2. Her daytime success is based upon her strategy to go to the bathroom when reminded by others going. She says she has to "go right now" before she can tell on her own, so she goes often so she doesn't have an accident. This strategy was her own idea and it works for her.

I know the feeling:banghead: My now dd8 still has diapers. She doesn't care if she is in them or not. Hers is Sensory issues and low muscle tone.

We tried the sit on the potty every hour thing but every hour it took 20 minutes. I thought I would go looney because it didn't do any good but she would still just sit there!:D Then forget if we went some where she wanted to visit every stores potty to see what it looks and feels like and then sit there for 20 minutes:lol:. Couldn't handle it thought I would laugh myself into tears.

Our therapist is starting a new program and want my daughter to be the first one to try it out. I have tried everything else I think! This one is suppose to work on feeling the bladder with some kind of computer. Will let you know when I get the details in the next week or so. Still interested in what everyone has tried maybe it is something I think I haven't tried:D