Menu

How does Singapore teach double digit addition with carrying?

Cindyz

For instance 16 + 16 =

We are in Singapore 1B and my son can do any double digit addition like 30 + 57 but we have not gotten to what to do when you need to carry the extra ten.

My son is in an extra math class and he came up against this today. I know he will easily learn it in whatever way I teach it to him, however I want him to learn it the Singapore way since that's what we are using.

I'm assuming this will start sometime in Singapore 2 which we will officially start in the fall.

Thank you!

For instance 16 + 16 =

We are in Singapore 1B and my son can do any double digit addition like 30 + 57 but we have not gotten to what to do when you need to carry the extra ten.

My son is in an extra math class and he came up against this today. I know he will easily learn it in whatever way I teach it to him, however I want him to learn it the Singapore way since that's what we are using.

I'm assuming this will start sometime in Singapore 2 which we will officially start in the fall.

Thank you!

With a problem that simple you would regroup it. Personally I would think 16+16= 16+10+6=26+6=26+4+2=32. But there are many ways to regroup. RS specifically teaches this add the tens first method. Singapore probably leans more towards making the 16, 20, so you would think: 16+16=16+4+12=20+12=32. Both work, so what ever the child prefers.

In level 3 Singapore does teach traditional carrying with 3 or more digit numbers.

Heather

For instance 16 + 16 =

They first teach it mentally (I think later in 1B?) where you regroup in one of the ways mentioned in the other post and they may even teach to add the tens, add the ones, then add them all (which would end up being 16+16=20+12=32)

In 2A, however, they do teach standard column addition where you carry to the next column. They do want the kids to get the concept of regrouping and place value before that algorithm is shown, though, so don't skip ahead.