Menu

MUS for high school?

We are getting very frustrated with Algebra. My ds did great with Abeka through Pre-Algebra but hit a wall with Alg. We have tried Chalkdust, which I thought was very good but became frustrated when we had questions that no one was available to help, emails took about a week to be answered. We are currently using TT and it is going just ok, but I get the feeling he really isn't understanding.

I know many families IRL who are using, with success, and enjoying MUS. From what I've read on this forum, it is considered "light" compared to some other courses. MUS does have a very different scope and sequence. It starts with graphing right away. Identifying slope is taught early. My dc is doing Saxon Algebra 1 and just hit graphing on lesson 51 and has not started figuring out the slope yet. MUS does assume all the pre-algebra instruction is well mastered (negative numbers, variable equations, etc).

I thought I would use MUS for high school. A new additional of Algebra 1 was given to me and I do like the concept of MUS. But, coming from TT pre-algebra, dd was not ready for MUS algebra 1. Again, I think this is a scope and sequence issue. The 2 different programs did not transition well with each other.

You might want to search the boards for more info. There has been much discussion on the subject of MUS at the high school level. Remember what works well for 1 family will be a problem for another and vice versa. You might also consider the goals your dc has for college. HTH!!

We are using MUS for high school. DD14 has finished Algebra I and is about half-way through Geometry. Our plan is to continue using MUS for Algebra II and Pre-Calculus and then use the local CC for dual-enrollment math courses.

Did you have any specific questions?

Pegasus

We are using MUS for high school. DD14 has finished Algebra I and is about half-way through Geometry. Our plan is to continue using MUS for Algebra II and Pre-Calculus and then use the local CC for dual-enrollment math courses.

Did you have any specific questions?

Pegasus

Do they include a solution manual for all the problems? Do you have a video to watch daily or is it for each section? I think we can make it through TT Algebra but really think we need to be using something that can be used all through high school. I also would like to feel like he is really understanding what he is doing.

Do you know if the company is available to help with a problem if he needs it? I am really kicking myself for not checking out MUS at our homeschool convention last spring. Any information you think would be helpful would be great. Thanks!

Do you know if the company is available to help with a problem if he needs it? I am really kicking myself for not checking out MUS at our homeschool convention last spring. Any information you think would be helpful would be great. Thanks!

I have had to call our state rep a few times for help with problems. She has always been very helpful. Sometimes I had to leave a message but she would call back pretty fast.

I would suggest doing the MUS placement test. Remember the scope and sequence is different.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Do they include a solution manual for all the problems? Do you have a video to watch daily or is it for each section? I think we can make it through TT Algebra but really think we need to be using something that can be used all through high school. I also would like to feel like he is really understanding what he is doing.

The teacher manual contains the answers to all the problems. In Pre-Algebra on up all the solutions are worked out step-by-step. There is 1 video lesson per section, not per day. If the student doesn't fully understand he/she can watch the video again.

Yes, they are available to help. They can be reached by phone, email or Yahoo group. There are no longer state reps (something about a change in the law regarding MUS receiving payments from reps) so everything is shipped from the home office. Many of the reps are still with the company taking calls so when you call you could be speaking to someone anywhere in the US. Personally, I like this change because when you need something you have access to them right away instead of having to wait if your rep was at a conference, on vacation, etc.

The teacher manual contains the answers to all the problems. In Pre-Algebra on up all the solutions are worked out step-by-step. There is 1 video lesson per section, not per day. If the student doesn't fully understand he/she can watch the video again.

Yes, they are available to help. They can be reached by phone, email or Yahoo group. There are no longer state reps (something about a change in the law regarding MUS receiving payments from reps) so everything is shipped from the home office. Many of the reps are still with the company taking calls so when you call you could be speaking to someone anywhere in the US. Personally, I like this change because when you need something you have access to them right away instead of having to wait if your rep was at a conference, on vacation, etc.

Thank you for the great information. Do you know if the solutions are worked out for the other upper level courses?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thank you for the great information. Do you know if the solutions are worked out for the other upper level courses?

Yes, for all the upper levels from Pre-Algebra on up (Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus). When Calculus is released it too should have all the problems worked out. Working out all the answers was one of the improvements they made when they re-did the teacher manuals.