Menu

Would you give your HS'd kid a snow day?

Would you give your DC a snow day?  

1. 1. Would you give your DC a snow day?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory other

When she gets tired and comes inside, I'd probably read to her books with a snow theme and maybe do some math or write a journal entry about snow, cut out some paper snowflakes, and call it a school day. Snow play counts as PE or art if she made a snow sculpture of any kind!

I put obligatory other. If it is real special and they will actually go out into it, I would give them the day off. If we get a real big snow here, we may take the day off.

We usually take the first sunny, 80 degree day off here in NY. Usually it is sometime in April and we will head outside and just enjoy.

I used to live in an area that received almost 0 snow. If we ever got enough snow to play in then we would play. It was usually gone by lunch time anyway.

We now live in an area that has snow on the ground virtually all winter. I don't really care what the local schools are doing. They can play in the snow after school if they want. It'll still be there and that will prevent us from going further into the summer when the weather is beautiful and short.

As far as experiencing "snow days" I think homeschool kids have their own version of that. Mom has a migraine day. :lol:

Edited by silliness7

I voted yes, especially since you mentioned you don't get much snow.

It doesn't snow a lot here so when it does, I'll usually give a snow day. I remember loving that as a kid and I want my kids to have the same memories. Plus, all the neighborhood kids are out playing in the snow and they want to join in. But, they just get the first day off for snow. If it happens to hang around the next day, it's back to business as usual :).

I voted no, but that isn't really accurate. I let them have time to play in the snow and drink hot chocolate, but we still get at least math and English completed. Whenever we have a good snow, I let them do this - maybe 3 to 4 times a year. That way, I think they actually get more snow playtime, and we still get basic school work completed.

I'm in kind of a hard spot, because my first grader goes to school and (along with the rest of the city) he has a snow day today! So we're just doing the basics today (math, English, history). Luckily we did Latin yesterday when I saw the forecast for snow! I think we'll try to do that again next time when there is snow forecast - work ahead in one or two subjects.

It rarely snows here in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. When we get snow, the kids get a sort-of snow day. I voted Yes, but maybe I should have voted Other. If they are outside playing in the snow, no school. Sometimes we walk to the school and play in the big field in the snow with other families in the neighborhood.

When they come inside, we have hot chocolate and do some schoolwork.

They don't get cold as quickly that way! :D

Cat

That would depend on SO many factors around here. Snow is not a novelty and my kids have yet to get a snow day this year. If they go out and play, it seems to take 20 minutes and then they are right back in the house.

HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, if the kids are restless and we haven't had a break in weeks and I am worn out and need time off too, then I would absolutely take a snow day! Since we just got back from a 2.5 week break for Christmas, that isn't happening here yet...but it sure has in the past.

I am also one of those that is inclined to wait until May when it is gorgeous and we just don't want to sit inside anymore and yell "SNOW DAY!" No school kids! LOL

We almost never get snow here, and every single school in the area-and I mean ALL of them, are out. Even the colleges and the like. It's also the nice kind, fun to play in snow, which is very uncommon.

So, when my DD wakes up, do I go ahead and do school (our days are under 2 hours anyway), bundle her up and send her outside to play, or something else?

Snow is not at all a novelty here (in MN), but if schools were off, absolutely we'd be embracing the snow day.

If they are outside playing in the snow, no school. ...

When they come inside, we have hot chocolate and do some schoolwork.

They don't get cold as quickly that way! :D

Cat

I love it! :lol:

Today, we are having a snow day to celebrate the first snow of the year. It is the Dallas area, so it may be the only snow.

Two years ago, in Oregon, we had about 2 weeks of snow. They quickly lost interest in being cold and wet, so we did school during that period.

I give mine a choice. They know a snow day means double work the next day so they usually opt to do at least some of their school first. We got about 5 inches here last night.:D Dd13 didn't do any of her school work, Dd7 did both her reading lessons and her grammar lesson and Ds4 did some writing practice (only because Daddy wasn't ready to go out anyway). They are all out in it now...baby is sleeping...I'm going to enjoy the quite.

I think it's a great opportunity to get some good exercise. My kids are just coming in from shoveling three of our elderly neighbor's walks and driveways. I then gave them some time to sled.

We'll do lunch and then hit the math, English, and history, at least. They seem to focus better after some fresh air, hard work and fun.

(We do usually get quite a bit of snow around here.)

Absolutely! You're not in a box. Your kids will forever remember a day in the snow. I doubt whether they'll remember in 20 years the details of their math lesson. I can remember being let out of middle school when it snowed in Florida. It was a BIG deal and I'm so glad the teachers let us experience snow. :001_smile:

Lisa

It would be a snow day for student and teacher! :D

We'd be making snow people, finding a good hill for sleigh riding, making snow angels, getting wet and cold, snowball fighting, and hot chocolate drinking. The camera would get good use!!! :)

Enjoy the snow!!!

If you lived in Buffalo, I'd say go with school as usual. :lol:

Hm. I'd still trade it for cedar pollen any year.

I know what you mean. I've been in bed for 3 days now behind the worst Cedar Fever I think I've ever had. I can't even open the door to let the dog out or I am sneezing for 2 hours afterwords. It's the worst!

I vote for SNOW DAY!!! But I'm always looking for any excuse to take the day off and play all day. Now that my Baby Boy is in college . . . I miss those days. You'd better have fun while you can!

I voted "other."

I had grand visions of never, ever having school if we had snow on the ground, as we are in the south and snow is such a rare treat.

But the reality is... My child hates the cold. He bundles up and goes outside for five minutes, tops, then is ready to come inside and drink some hot chocolate.

So - in my lesson plans, I have an extra "snow day" planned out - specific lessons that are geared around us having snow on the ground. It is mostly a 'fun' day of school for us.

The sheer delight a kid would have at being unexpectedly "free" to play ALL DAY , with hot cocoa waiting to warm her up, would stay in her memory forever - esp. if Mom played outside too for a spell. Unlike whatever you might cover in homeschool.

It is a snow day. Make it an event. It is a big deal to a kid.

Well, snow isn't a novelty here either but my two CAN play outside in the snow all day if it isn't to cold and I let them. :lol:

Many times my two go out and play as soon as they get up and by the time I am ready to start school they are willing to come in. It is generally cold here with the snow so I do have to watch that they don't get to cold. I might do all of our school or part but I always give them an opportunity to play in the snow.

Generally the first couple of times it snows really hard they get a snow day after that they get to play but not all day.

I know what you mean. I've been in bed for 3 days now behind the worst Cedar Fever I think I've ever had. I can't even open the door to let the dog out or I am sneezing for 2 hours afterwords. It's the worst!

I vote for SNOW DAY!!! But I'm always looking for any excuse to take the day off and play all day. Now that my Baby Boy is in college . . . I miss those days. You'd better have fun while you can!

[whine] How is it that the rest of the country gets snow, and we get allergies??? Even Dallas got snow.

And even in the rare years when a few millimeters fall in the hill country and suburbs, here in the urban core we get nada. [/whine]

[whine] How is it that the rest of the country gets snow, and we get allergies??? Even Dallas got snow.

And even in the rare years when a few millimeters fall in the hill country and suburbs, here in the urban core we get nada. [/whine]

I'm so with you on this one. I wish we'd get snow. Austin isn't THAT much further south than Dallas is.... :sigh: :lol: