Menu

Would you give your HS'd kid a snow day?

Would you give your DC a snow day?  

1. 1. Would you give your DC a snow day?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory other

We almost never get snow here, and every single school in the area-and I mean ALL of them, are out. Even the colleges and the like. It's also the nice kind, fun to play in snow, which is very uncommon.

So, when my DD wakes up, do I go ahead and do school (our days are under 2 hours anyway), bundle her up and send her outside to play, or something else?

Yep. I grew up in the Memphis area, and if I still lived there I would give my boys a snow day. Don't tell my boys, though. We live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow (we've got a few inches today and some schools are out), but we're holding school as usual :D.

I'd either give her the snow day, or I'd change our normal schedule around so that she had plenty of time to play. If it's under two hours anyway, you could always do half of it in the morning then send her to play, and do the other half in the evening or some such. Or weed out one or two things that aren't as big a deal to get done to shorten the day some, or whatever.

And, we're having.one.NOW!!!!!!

We seldom get snow here in Charlotte, NC so we're enjoying it now. DH and I grew up in the north and know how fun it can be. Truthfully, we're still enjoying it....it's beautiful.

S <><

Ooops...I read anohter poster's reply. I forgot I did tell my dd she has a math test and something else. Instead of a full day, we'll spend about an hour doing school today.

We usually take a half day for snow days. They don't want to stay out in it THAT long. We do a lesson or two, then go play in the snow. Now, we have had so much snow that the kids have no interest in going out in it. (They are a little older.) Today, we will do full school, but make a snowman during a break.:001_smile:

My younger public-schooled child has a snow day today. My older, home schooled daughter does not. If she were going to go out and play in it and really be entertained by the snow, I'd consider it. That's not the case. She'd sleep all day if I let her.

If I have to work (I work from home), then she has to do school.

I know.....mean mom.

Not here.

However. . . . .

After breakfast, they're going to go play in the snow/ice. Then we'll do school, and they can go back out after they're done.

That's the plan, anyways! If they were all littles, I might just can it all and do a snow day - but not as they're older.

I think I'll let her go outside and play, and then see when she comes in. We spent a good part of yesterday at the science center in Nashville, since she was there for a cheerleading competition (which had us driving BACK for the last hour in this delightful white stuff...grrr) so she got at least some school content then.

I do find it humorous that, despite school being closed due to weather, it looks like every single kid from a mile radius is on the SCHOOL playground right now, enjoying the snow!

I voted other. We used to live in an area where it snowed several times a year. The kids would go out and play, but then come inside to warm up. During the warm up times they'd do a quick math lesson or grammar. These were fairly short. Then back out in the snow. We didn't stop to do long reading unless they needed a long break from the cold.

I say go with the flow. If it feels right to break out the math book during a warm-up break then do it. If it doesn't work out then just enjoy the snow and bundling up and drinking hot chocolate. I wouldn't hesitate to take a snow day, though.

Unfortunately my boys are older now and taking outside classes so they still have assignments to get done today. *sigh*

We haven't started school yet today. The girls are out in the 3 inches we got last night/this morning. It's the most snow they've seen in their lives and they're sledding in our backyard with the neighborhood kids. We'll have hot chocolate and do some school later.

Ds started at a charter school last week. They, as well as other area schools, are closed for snow today. We never took snow days when we home schooled and loved being finished by mid-May or sooner. However, I did always allow ds to play in the snow once his schoolwork was complete. It was amazing how efficient he was on "snow days." Sometimes I could weed out are pare down some things, too. But, we always did some school when it snowed.

we have snow days, we have just go outside and enjoy the sun days, or play a long game of monopoly days!

We work really hard...as in we were so far behind when we started we were doing 1 1/2 to 2 years of catch up in one year, so we are all caught up and kept that pace!

Just off days because are to me one of the joys of homeschooling!

Off to wake them up after 3 weeks of nada!

Well, I live in SW, Ontario, Canada and we see lots of snow......AND......we always have a snow day for the first snowfall of the year. We also have a snow day if there is a lot of snow fall OR if there is a storm.

One of the reasons that I homeschool is so that my kids can experience life firsthand. It's OK to stop and smell the roses. Playing in the snow/rain/puddles/mud/etc., as a child is completely different than as an adult. They get one chance.....I make sure they don't miss any!

When ds was younger, he'd go outside and play until he got tired, then come in for some hot chocolate & we'd get school done.

Now that he is older and school takes a lot longer, we just take the whole day off. But, this year we have had a lot of "snow days" and ended up working through the last snow without a blink of the eye. He just went out in the afternoon for snowball fights, etc.

My kids got dressed themselves and were out playing (one of them in crocs and one of them with no gloves) before DH and I got up. When they came back in, we did some light school for about an hour, then we all went out to play for awhile. Now they're drinking hot chocolate, after which we'll probably do some history before lunch. So we're having a sort of semi snow day.

We don't do it often, but if we get a really good storm and everything comes to a standstill, then yes. We had this happen in December. Huge, nasty blizzard, and none of dh's co-workers made it into work and many were out of power so they couldn't even work from home. Dh contacted the off shore team and told him that the onshore team was unable to make any meetings. He canceled all of his phone and internet conferences though we weren't out of power because too many key people would be missing to make any pertinent decisions.

The kids had a blast with daddy all day.

Faith

We were to start our 2nd semester today-um, we have been playing in the snow :D We are about 3hrs due east of you and we have 7/8" of the fluffy white stuff. NO ONE has school around here, bussiness are closed, roads are nasty, everyone is playing today :D

Now if we lived in W.Va still, no I would not-but living in AL this *never* happens, so yes!

Hey, we're in TN also! No snow day here. They'll have plenty of time to play outside, and I know it's going to snow again tonight and tomorrow. We're going ahead with our day as usual.

Where are you in TN that you don't have a snow day? I am in middle Tn and as far as I can tell we are covered state wide. Every district in our area and at least two or three counties in every direction are out. My brother is in Dallas and they have snow and my dd is in Atlanta and they have snow. My brother is currently driving from Tx to Atlanta and he said there has been snow the whole way.