Menu

starting history

mhaddon

For a first grader, I'm thinking of TOG. However, in general do you always begin with the ancients? I think DS is capable of understanding it no problem and we could go to the Egyptian display at the Indianapolis Children's museum so that is a bonus for us. However, he really wants to start with the pioneer portion of it year 3. I was wondering if this was ok? I know that 2 of mine will start at year 1 and then no matter what when the other 2 come in it will be year 3. So what are the reasons for starting with ancients? I borrowed TWTM book from the library so I'm unable to reference it right now :blush:

WTM basically recommends starting in ancients and going chronogically, BUT if you start at the pioneers, move forward chronogically, and then come back around to ancients and go chronologically from there, I don't see a huge problem with that. The only issue you might run into is that some of the more modern stuff can be a bit much for the younger kiddos, but if you're folding in littles ones as they come along, someone is probably going to get modern stuff at a young age anyway.

There are some nice American history studies out there (though not TOG), if that's what he's wanting to study. I think HOD and MFW both have that type of thing for young ones? (ok, not sure on MFW - I know HOD does).

I started today with ancients for my first grader. We'll see how it goes. I don't expect him to really retain much history at this point. We're just introducing it, plus I figure it will help him figure out where his Bible history pegs are, as he has a lot of those but doesn't necessarily know how they fit together in the timeline except that they all happened "a long time ago". :D

I follow TWTM 4-year history cycle and did the ancients last year. It's actually very high interest for young children. My boys totally got in to the Egyptians and mummies. We did the famous "Chicken Mummy" experiment. The boys loved the Romans, gladiators and all that, they thought the myths and stories were interesting.