Menu

Kindle users - question about page numbers

I can't figure out the page numbers at the bottom of my books. They don't appear to be page numbers. For instance, the right bottom corner has some obscure number and the middle has something like 23/128, which at first glance would appear to be page 22 of 128 (which wouldn't be right anyway), but then the next page will be 13/380, or something like that. All my books are the same way.

So far, this is the only thing I'm not liking about my Kindle. I want accurate page numbers!!!

thanks,

lisa

I've wondered about that too, and so far here's what I've figured out on my own. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. Rather than page numbers, they are more like reference numbers. Because the Kindle doesn't have pages, and if you change the font or font size and the number of pages could change at any time, they have another way of marking where you are. I don't think it's number of words, but more like reference points throughout the book that don't change. So on any given page, there are several of these reference points, which is why when you turn the page, you'll see a jump in the numbers.

I've wondered about that too, and so far here's what I've figured out on my own. If I'm wrong, please forgive me. Rather than page numbers, they are more like reference numbers. Because the Kindle doesn't have pages, and if you change the font or font size and the number of pages could change at any time, they have another way of marking where you are. I don't think it's number of words, but more like reference points throughout the book that don't change. So on any given page, there are several of these reference points, which is why when you turn the page, you'll see a jump in the numbers.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't like this!

I have a Nook, too (:blush: didn't want to admit that I have both) and the Nook has page numbers. Just makes it seem more like a regular book, kwim, when you know exactly where you are.

anyway, thanks!!

lisa

Location numbers represent bytes of data - something like 128 bytes per location. It includes spaces and invisible formatting characters. The range in the middle of the bottom of the screen represents the data bits on the screen at that time. The number in the far right bottom corner represents the total number of locations in the file.

The reason locations are displayed instead of page numbers is because locations do not change when the font size changes.

Similarly, different editions of a regular book do not have the same page numbers. If I am reading an oversized paperback and I am on page 22, it will not have the same information your standard sized paperback of the same book has on its page 22. Neither book's page number will correspond to the page numbers in a hardcover.

For a rough guide, you can divide the location numbers by 20 to see how many pages an e-book has. Also, when you buy a book from Amazon for the Kindle, scroll down and they will usually tell you the print length.

All of this information was gleaned from reading the Kindle boards on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxEGAK59UIBUXN

This drives me nuts. I only hope my Kindle always remembers my bookmarks because I cannot remember location numbers, but I don't have a problem remembering which page I was on when I read a regular book (plus I turn down the top corner of the page when I own the book).

Edited by RoughCollie

Location numbers represent bytes of data - something like 128 bytes per location. It includes spaces and invisible formatting characters. The range in the middle of the bottom of the screen represents the data bits on the screen at that time. The number in the far right bottom corner represents the total number of locations in the file.

The reason locations are displayed instead of page numbers is because locations do not change when the font size changes.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. i still like page numbers better.

i still like page numbers better.

Me too, particularly when it comes to reference/non-fiction books and I need to look something up from the index or table of contents. Quite frustrating. I love the Kindle in many ways, but this aspect of it is probably the one I dislike the most.