Menu

How much cramping is normal in early pg?!?

It's just been so long since I was pg, and dd talks about having cramps and cramping and it makes me nervous, especially since she had the bleeding spell.

She heard the baby's heartbeat last week, and she has had no more spotting or bleeding since before Christmas, but I just wanna know what's normal for 10-11 weeks gestation as far as cramps go...

Some people get very constipated in pregnancy, and that can cause cramping. UTIs, which can cause fetal loss, are more common, and they can cause cramping. I kept urine dipsticks at home, for WBC checks, and did have one UTI, and it was not "typical" (sudden screaming urgency and pain).

Like she might feel before a period. Nothing too painful, but I'm just wondering if that's fairly normal. I just cannot really remember any of that.

Between the belly button and the knees, it could be anything. It is especially easy to assign the feeling to one you are familiar with. I had never suffered constipation of that degree, and no idea it could be so crampy.

The only time I had bad cramps with any of my kids was when i was carrying twins.

If it hurts bad enough that she is asking about it - then have her doctor check it out.

Same here. I had severe cramping near the end of my first trimester with twins. They were my first pregnancy, and the first time my uterus had stretched out.

For a first pregnancy, it can be completely normal. It's just the body stretching and rearranging to accommodate the growing baby. I didn't have it so much with this pregnancy (#4, and I'm just a bit ahead of your DD), but with at least my first and probably the second, I can remember a lot of cramping, enough that I felt like my period was about to start. A bit disconcerting for sure! She might want to talk to her doctor or midwife though, just to be sure. Congrats on the new grandbaby coming!

She wasn't really asking. She was just telling me how she was, and said she had some cramping kinda like a period, but not bad.

Also, she has not been constipated at all. She has been eating a lot of fruit and said her stool has been fairly loose.

I think it is fairly normal, but I just wondered...

this happened to my dd during her two pregnancies. It was worse with the first pregnancy. I think alot of it is the stretching of the uterus. Her doc told her it was normal. They were both successful pregnancies and I have two beautiful granddaugthers! My dd also had bleeding during her second pregnancy.