Menu

Men's Suits, what do I need to know about taking care of it.

Business casual for 16 years and now dh's hitting the interview circuit. He reluctantly bought a new suit this weekend (under duress). He's having buyers remorse because the type of work he does is most usually business casual or blue jeans with a nice polo. Interviewing requires a suit, spiffy hair cut, nice shoes and a resume, right?

Anyhoo I'm not really sure about how to clean a suit other than to dry clean it. The guy at the Men's Warehouse told dh that he'd only need to dry clean it twice a year and press it in between, huh?! Otherwise colors fade, he said.

So give me the laundress low down on men's suits. I'm clueless.

Thanks!

The guy at the Men's Warehouse told dh that he'd only need to dry clean it twice a year and press it in between, huh?! Otherwise colors fade, he said.

:iagree:

That is what we do with my husband's suits. He only wears them for a few hours at a time - not all day every day. If you didn't get the nice wooden hangers, definitely get those. It will help the suit keep its shape. We also have zip up suit bags for them which keeps the suits from getting dusty in the closet.

Stains can be removed with stain remover liquid (look in the supermarket - it will be dab-on-wipe-off stuff) and you can use a light clothes brush for dandruff/dust. Husband wears suits every day. In bad weather he wears other clothes to work and changes into his suit there.

Laura

Stains can be removed with stain remover liquid (look in the supermarket - it will be dab-on-wipe-off stuff) and you can use a light clothes brush for dandruff/dust. Husband wears suits every day. In bad weather he wears other clothes to work and changes into his suit there.

Laura

how frequently do you take them to be dry cleaned?

how frequently do you take them to be dry cleaned?

Every now and then husband asks me to drop one off. Let's see: he has six suits (two summer, two winter, two in-between) so at any one time he's probably wearing two suits in rotation. He probably only asks me to dry clean a suit once a month, so that's twelve cleanings a year, so about twice for each suit, but each one is only being worn for about one third of the year.

Laura

Jacket and pants should get cleaned at the same time to keep the color of the fabric more uniform. You don't want one piece looking more faded than the other.

Also, the suit guy said men often drape their coat over the back of a chair but they do it incorrectly. They fold the coat in half lengthwise and then lay it over the back of the chair. He said to fold it so the inside is out and the sleeves are in the middle. That way the inside, which no one sees, takes the brunt of any damage from dust or light and the outside stays clean.