Menu

NJKelli-Mind-sucking math thread...

Hey Kelli, I know this is way back, but I JUST came across a thread you had made on the K-8 board summoning me! LOL http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176394&highlight=ALGEBRA

I found it, because I was reading through some of your posts and others on TT math. Anyways, I thought it was interesting that our comments had resonated with each other long before we began chatting more frequently on this board. And I have to say it does sound like we deal with the same thing! It's that problem of what you do with a dc who is very capable (extra-capable) who deserves a bit of a challenge but who, in the same brain and body, also needs this extra bit of repetition or use or methodology or something. I don't even know what it really is, honestly. You're ahead of me one step, so maybe you've figured it out. There's SO much repetition built into the elementary curriculum that it sort of masks these issues. I dread to think what might happen in the more typically linear progression of high school math.

I do think Siloam's advice in that thread made a lot of sense, where she suggested using something brain-tingling alongside something more plodding. I'm doing this with dd right now, using a little Algebra Readiness workbook I found alongside some basic Math Mammoth stuff. So I think we can mix it up like that.

I saw your thread about changing to TT with your dd and applaud it, if only because it gives me additional confidence to consider the option myself. I really don't know what we'll do. I'm not convinced one time through will do the trick with her, no matter what curriculum we start with.

Well that's enough of that. I just thought it was funny that I missed a thread where you had hoped to chat and then found it, many months later! :)

Oh, and by mind-sucking, I meant Foerster. I guess I just diverge from the people who like it and will have to stand in the minority. I worked through some of the book myself, trying to see if it would be a good fit for dd. It had no spark, no life, no C level problems like the Dolciani I was taught with, nothing. Just the endless monotony of similar weight problems... It was high school math, all over again. My dd might have issues, but that doesn't mean she can't use a good brain-tingling challenge, kwim? Let the others like Foerster. Maybe I'll even eat crow in a bit, I don't know. But for now, that's where I was at, just a negative reaction. I freely tempt the fates to start baking crow pie.

Edited by OhElizabeth