Menu

Favorite, most loved First grade curriculum

Emma

Would you mind sharing your favorite first grade curriculum choices (both YOUR favorites and the KIDS favorites?) It's been a long time since I've planned first grade and I know curriculum has come a long way since Abeka! I'd like something fun, but something doable. I know me. I'm not going to spend hrs. doing lapbooks, fancy crafts like making a pioneer town out of toothpicks, or modeling the digestive system down my stairs out of cardboard boxes. What do you LOVE?

Would you mind sharing your favorite first grade curriculum choices (both YOUR favorites and the KIDS favorites?) It's been a long time since I've planned first grade and I know curriculum has come a long way since Abeka! I'd like something fun, but something doable. I know me. I'm not going to spend hrs. doing lapbooks, fancy crafts like making a pioneer town out of toothpicks, or modeling the digestive system down my stairs out of cardboard boxes. What do you LOVE?

Have you looked at McRuffy for either phonics or science? I think they are colorful and fun but also completely doable. They also contain solid instruction. Like you, I start to break out in hives when activities get too involved and too overwhelming. But give me the tools and the prepared materials - and make it something I can do in a reasonable amount of time - and I too can inject a little bit of fun into my kids' day. ;)

Just a thought. :D

We are doing Five in a Row. We love snuggling up with books and this is a great fit.

Also:

Reading-Webster's Speller

Writing-Loops and Other Groups (A Kinesthetic Writing System for cursive)

Math-living math books and games

Nature Study-Nature walks and nature picture journal

Lots of good read-alouds

HTH

Edited by RobinM

Story of the World

Writing With Ease

Saxon Math

Song School Latin

Plaid Phonics

Phonics Pathways (if phonics instruction is still needed)

If you want to do science, I love Nancy Larson science.

I love Oak Meadow. It's more gentle and hands on in the earliest years, which I like. And it does do crafty stuff although not quite as extreme as what you mentioned. :lol:

Because I love reading so much, I also love the idea of Five In A Row (and for younger ones Before Five In A Row), and if it weren't for the fact that I already adored Oak Meadow, I'd have been totally attracted to FIAR; however, I understand that wasn't a secular curriculum, which would have been what I wanted.

I think I'm about the only homeschool mom in the world who doesn't enjoy sitting on the couch reading aloud to my kids for hours :blushing:

We are doing Saxon math, Ordinary Parent's Guide for reading, FLL, a map skills book that I picked up along the way, God's design for science (AIG science curriculum) - we're doing the animals, and we are putting together a notebook, but it's VERY simple, not lapbook-y ~ she is simply printing a couple of pictures of an animal we choose, writing if it's a mammal, reptile, etc., how big it is, what it eats, etc. I'm doing some copywork stuff. . .

It's pretty simple stuff. I'm an open and go kind of girl.

I will have to say that we really enjoyed MoH last year and the beginning of this year. However about half way through we had to stop as it was just too much for my K5er and 2nd grader. So we'll pick up where we left off next year.

I do love oddly enough Hooked on Phonics...because the kids found it fun and engaging and to me that's very important!

I loved the Sonlight core. I think SL excels at the younger grades. We enjoyed the Usborne books and read-alouds a great deal.

One exception, however, is that I have never liked the SL grammar instruction.

If you want to go a different direction, you could do the SL read-alouds, plus Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and First Language Lessons, plus Story of the World. For science stick with the Usborne books recommended by SL, and just add in your handwriting of choice and math of choice.

I did SL with my dd, and the hybrid suggested in the above paragraph with my ds. I did also use the SL history/social studies recommendations (Usborne books) in addition to SOTW with ds just because we loved those books.

We like CLE learning to read, language arts, and math. We also do McRuffy Science and a huge number of read alouds, usually from books meant for older kids because I combine reading aloud for my 10yo. Fairy tales are a big favorite, especially the not-so-common ones. I don't do history for my first grader but she catches some of it listening to read alouds for her older sister.

Next year for 1st we plan on doing Learning Language Arts Through Literature (Red Book) and Horizons 1/ MM 2 combo for math. I haven't decided on Science yet. We're doing Elemental this year, may continue with that. TOG for history.

I've done LLATL for 2 kids in 1st. It was very easy to implement. There was just enough crafty stuff for me, and they really became solid readers.

I think I'm about the only homeschool mom in the world who doesn't enjoy sitting on the couch reading aloud to my kids for hours :blushing:

We are doing Saxon math, Ordinary Parent's Guide for reading, FLL, a map skills book that I picked up along the way, God's design for science (AIG science curriculum) - we're doing the animals, and we are putting together a notebook, but it's VERY simple, not lapbook-y ~ she is simply printing a couple of pictures of an animal we choose, writing if it's a mammal, reptile, etc., how big it is, what it eats, etc. I'm doing some copywork stuff. . .

It's pretty simple stuff. I'm an open and go kind of girl.

Nope!!!!

If you want to do a lot of the crafts, lapbooks, etc., I think using CLE for your math and language arts would help keep it simple leaving you more time for those things you love. It is very thorough and well laid out.

I have a 2nd grader this year. I've put together my own history for the last 2 years, so I can't recommend a curricula for that. I'm trying Biblioplan next year, but can't speak to how well it works.

For science, last year I used RS4K Chemistry Pre-Level 1 and Funtastic Frogs books on physics topics. This year I'm using R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life. I've enjoyed all this very much and highly recommend any of them. I'm not following the sequence that WTM recommends. I wanted ds to do the same topics dd was doing these 2 years. Next year he will be using Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space.

I second the Heart of Dakota suggestion. (Either Little Hearts for His Glory or Beyond.) We are really enjoying it this year. VERY doable. Some hands on crafts but certainly not overwhelming. Everything I've had on hand. Today the hands on thing was to mix colored water to show the different colors of the rainbow. We started with Red, Blue, and Yellow and combined them to make Orange, Purple, and Green. The kids really enjoy it and the storytime!

Not the only one! I just can't do that. My 4 year old and 20 month old end up fighting for lap time, and the 20 month old won't really let me read a long book - he wants to turn the pages. So it's just a major chore to read aloud. We're doing a lot of books on tape/CD in the van now (we live in a rural area, so driving anywhere will have us in the van at least 30 minutes to an hour at a time). Or I end up reading some during the little kids' nap times.

Also, my voice can't take reading for THAT long. :lol:

I'm doing first grade now, and we're enjoying what's in my sig (except today I subbed Sequential Spelling instead of R&S Spelling, since the R&S was just way too easy... just started homeschooling last week, so still finding where my son is in everything!). I think my favorites are Math Mammoth, MEP Math (don't think that's in my sig... I should edit), and WWE.

I'm also not a mom that likes to do a lot of crafts. I chose ONE activity to do each week from SOTW for our history. I'll also be doing an experiment each week from Elemental Science (I've done a few, and they're easy and fun for the kids).

Favorites of both:

Sonlight science - hands on, solid learning

Right Start math - ditto

MEP - solid, takes less time than RS

Atelier art - taught on DVD and good instruction, kid thought it was fun

Mom favorites:

Dancing Bears phonics - so easy to use, and solid

Apples & Pears spelling - ditto