Menu

Can you use piano instruction books on a keyboard??j

BatmansWife

This seems like a silly question. I've never thought that you couldn't do this. But, I was looking at getting Progressive Piano for Young Beginners and had planned on using it with our Casio keyboard. Then, I just noticed that the Progressive series also has books called Progressive Keyboard for Young Beginners. But, in comparing the two....the Piano series has book 1 and extra songbook A, book 2 and extra songbook B, and book 3 with extra songbook C (6 books total). The keyboard series has book 1 and book 2; that's all. We'd get way more instruction and songs with the piano books. But....will there be stuff in there that we can't use if we only have a keyboard?? I'm just worried about getting the wrong thing. I don't want to go with the keyboard books and find out that we could have done the piano books with no problem. I don't want to get the piano books and find we can't use them very well with our keyboard. :ack2: Does anyone else use piano instruction books with a keyboard...and if so, is there ever any problems you run in to (maybe not enough keys or something)??

ETA: Oh my! Now I just found this: Electronic Keyboard for Young Beginners. This looks like it's book 3 of that same keyboard series I was talking about....and then they show songbook A and a song book B (no songbook C??). Now...I'm getting even more confused about what to do!!

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Does anyone else use piano instruction books with a keyboard...and if so, is there ever any problems you run in to (maybe not enough keys or something)??

We've used the Pianimals books with a keyboard without a problem.

Here are some of the differences between a piano and a keyboard

- keyboard might not have as many keys as a piano

- keyboard keys might not be touch sensitive / weighted

- keyboard might not have a pedal (sometimes a pedal can be added)

If you have a toy keyboard, the keys might not be full size.

Also, a keyboard doesn't sound as rich as a piano

Depending on your instructor, the above differences might not matter for a beginner.

We've used the Pianimals books with a keyboard without a problem.

Here are some of the differences between a piano and a keyboard

- keyboard might not have as many keys as a piano

- keyboard keys might not be touch sensitive / weighted

- keyboard might not have a pedal (sometimes a pedal can be added)

If you have a toy keyboard, the keys might not be full size.

Also, a keyboard doesn't sound as rich as a piano

Depending on your instructor, the above differences might not matter for a beginner.

Our keyboard is a pretty good one. There are 36 white keys and 25 black keys (I think they are regular size; it's not a toy). I forgot about the pedal. Hmmm....still not sure what to do. I'm leaning toward just the piano books. I'd love to hear more opinions. :bigear:

My kids have been learning for a year on an expensive but old keyboard. We will have a piano eventually but it hasn't been in the cards yet...maybe a few more months. We haven't had a problem so far but the touch sensitivity is definitely different going to the piano at lessons. Brownie

My dd is using our keyboard right now.Full size keys. As big as you can get without having a full sized keyboard. We have a piano but it is need of a huge overhaul that we can't afford right now.

Being a piano player myself I think that in the beginning it is okay to use a keyboard. But a piano would definitely be better the more advanced they get.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there's no problem to use the keyboard with piano books, at least in the beginning. Buuuuuttt....I decided to go with the keyboard books. The reason? I was looking at the samples again at Rainbow Resource and I notice that, for the keyboard books, you play the songs with different "voices"; piano, guitar, oboe, organ, etc. And, you can add in different rythms; like country and rock. I didn't see this before when looking at the samples. I think this will add to the fun of learning.

Edited by ~AprilMay~