Menu

Can I get a Math In Focus update?

jer2911mom

For those of you using Math In Focus, can you pls. give an update on how it is going? Do you still like the materials? What level(s) are you using? Do you use the teacher manual? Is it hard to adapt from a classroom focus to a homeschool focus? Are you using it with other math programs? Which ones? Do you prefer it over Primary Mathematics or Math Mammoth?

Thank you!

I am still using MIF and I still like it. I am using 1a and 2b. I don’t use the TM on a daily basis. IF someone is having trouble with something, or if I am introducing a brand new concept, I use it. It is great for providing hands on activities and warm ups. I also like the reproducible sheets in the back of the TM. The TM is helpful but not necessary.

I enjoy the layout of MIF more than PM. PM always felt like we were hopping around. There is also more review in MIF. When we move to the next chapter, I know they get it because of the review. Sometimes it seems like too much review on some topics. MIF seems a little easier than PM. However, It wasn’t enough difference for me to buy a higher level book.

It is not hard to adapt for homeschoolers. The extra activities that need several students are not essential. I usually skip them or play with her myself. Sometimes we all play and do a day of math games.

I don’t use any other math programs. I do use the corresponding enrichment workbook with the oldest mathy child. There is enough review that I don’t feel like it is necessary like I did with PM.

Thank you! Do you feel there is enough practice with math facts? How does it compare in that area with Primary Mathematics?

Also, you said "I enjoy the layout of MIF more than PM. PM always felt like we were hopping around." Can you please elaborate? Thanks!

Edited by jer2911mom

MIF has enough practice with math facts. The do a lot of review with math vocabulary too. The beginning of most chapters has a list of math terms and the child learns them over the course of the chapter.

PM has very little review. If my dd didn't catch on with the few problems given, I had to supplement with worksheets I found on the computer. Due to the lack of review I felt like we were hopping around before she had a chance to learn one topic completely, she was off to another topic after only a few practice problems. MIF has lots of problems in the student book. Even before we get to the workbook, both girls have usually grasped the concept.