Menu

Science like SOTW???

susankenny

I know this has been asked before, but I cannot find any of the past threads. Is there a science like SOTW? Short readings & activities you can choose from. I'd like to combine my children next year (4th & 2nd) and really could use ideas. I don't want science to be very time-intensive... just a couple of times a week, interesting, and some activities that are fun but don't require tons of prep (I'd love the supplies to be available for purchase actually). Am I asking too much? I looked at Nancy Larson, but that's just not going to happen. That is too expensive.

Thanks,

Susan

I really wanted this exact thing when we were starting the year this year and I feel like there were two elements of SOTW that I would love to see in a science curriculum: 1) a well-written "story" style text (though with more illustrations maybe for science) and 2) a set of pick and choose projects (or experiments) and resources to go with it. I looked at pretty much everything and never found it. We made our own thing instead.

Apologia? It is written like a story. Lessons can be short as there are many natural breaks in a unit. There are notebooking activities and experiments included. There is a materials list in the book and even a kit you can purchase that includes everything except for common household items for the experiments.

I like the Christian Kids Explore Science series. There are four books corresponding with the four WTM science cycles. We use the books just as we do SOTW and activity guide. They have narrative-style chapters, and a few activities or worksheet-type things per chapter (all in one book for a decent price). There are also book lists, etc. I read the chapter, use some of the definitions for copywork, pick and choose activities, and add DVDs and books from the library on the topic. Very easy to implement. I think it would be very simple to use with both a 2nd and 4th grader.

You might like this:

http://www.joyhakim.com/science.html

Click on each book to see the teacher/activity guides available.

I have the first set and plan on using it next year. From looking it over the only thing I wish it had more of is science experiments. There are hands on activities, but there aren't really experiments. I will probably just buy various science kits and we will work our way through them when we feel like it. My son would protest otherwise! But I think he will enjoy the books and activities.

:iagree: I like these a lot.

You might like this:

http://www.joyhakim.com/science.html

Click on each book to see the teacher/activity guides available.

I have the first set and plan on using it next year. From looking it over the only thing I wish it had more of is science experiments. There are hands on activities, but there aren't really experiments. I will probably just buy various science kits and we will work our way through them when we feel like it. My son would protest otherwise! But I think he will enjoy the books and activities.

I do! But my kids are too little for it quite yet. Next go around though it's a strong possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

We are using Mr. Q's Classical Science curriculum in our co-op and love it. The chapters are entertaining and easily read in about 15 minutes or so. Mr. Q has a wonderful sense of humor that keeps my daughter in stitches! This curriculum is very broad and doesn't go into much detail, but as a basic foundation, it's wonderful.

I do not teach the science class, but from looking at the teacher's guide the experiments seem fairly simple. The only downfall is that is only available in e-book form, so if you want a printed copy that could cost you more. The first year, Biology, is a free download and each year after that is $50 for the student book (includes "homework" pages) and teacher's guide.

Apologia? It is written like a story. Lessons can be short as there are many natural breaks in a unit. There are notebooking activities and experiments included. There is a materials list in the book and even a kit you can purchase that includes everything except for common household items for the experiments.

This has worked really well for us and reminds me very much of SOTW.

Another vote for Elemental Science. We are using Earth Science and Astronomy this year. I wish I would have used it for Life Science. I tried to do it on my own WTM style, but it didn't work for me.

I also think that narrations in science reinforce the narration skill that we are doing in SOTW and WWE. I love that Paige provides narration and experiment pages.

I've been very happy with it.