Menu

Honors classes vs. Advanced Placement vs. General classes

I'm trying to sort out the main differences with these levels in classes.

I was thinking that Advanced Placement classes must center around the AP test for which it shoud prepare you, is this right? Does a homeschool AP class have to be approved or is this just a good option? Could you call your class an AP class if you prepare for the AP test and your child does well on it (without the approval)?

What main aspects separate a general class from an honors level class? When I was in school this mostly meant that for an advanced class we had more outside reading, perhaps a few more difficult books, more essays, etc. (in general). Is this the right idea?

I fully intend to create the best classes that I can for dd for high school. I think they would meet the requirements for an honors class, but then again maybe not...:lol: How does it look for a transcript made by mom to have many honors level classes?

What would you consider the main differences with an honors class in any subject vs. a general class?

For example, in math would that mean a solid text with many of the more challenging problems worked?

For history, would this mean a solid text with several supplemental reads with essays and tests which incorporate some deeper thinking?

Sorry, I'm so inexperienced with this so please excuse any questions with the wrong ideas...:D

Thanks for any advice!

Could you call your class an AP class if you prepare for the AP test and your child does well on it (without the approval)?

No you can't, and it wouldn't be practical for 99.99% of HSers to SEEK approval for one household of kids--and even for most Coop groups at that!

What main aspects separate a general class from an honors level class? When I was in school this mostly meant that for an advanced class we had more outside reading, perhaps a few more difficult books, more essays, etc. (in general). Is this the right idea?

Technically, honors is what you say it is, but I think you are on the right track. I remember reading somewhere that, for instance, the Apologia publishers state that if you do all modules and all labs, the course is "honors." I wouldn't agree with that, but that's what they said. In order for dd to earn Honors in Bio, she must do all modules (minus one that I removed for my purposes) plus all labs (except those for which I've substituted different experiments from other sources) plus read selections from another text (Singapore Biology Matters), do additional labs (about 6 extras from same course), do additional dissections (at least 3 more, but I have many more she can do if she chooses), design at least one of those additional labs to show good reasoning skills and understanding of scientific process, and write a research paper in that class. But I'm the meanest mom in the whole wide world ;-)

I fully intend to create the best classes that I can for dd for high school. I think they would meet the requirements for an honors class, but then again maybe not...:lol: How does it look for a transcript made by mom to have many honors level classes?

If you can back it up and defend your Honors title, I think it looks good. I have a course description & book list for every course I'm giving dd credit for, and believe I can defend every "honors" credit she earns. And I'm honest--She definitely deserves honors for the work she does for Lit, History & Bio this year, but NOT for math--that's not a strong area for her. Since I wouldn't expect her to enroll in an honors math course in traditional school, I don't expect her to do honors level work at home. I'm content for her to complete the text with a B or better. So I think you get more credit if you are honest about which courses your child can really do "honors" work in and which courses a "regular" academic course is sufficient. I also don't give honors for elective classes like fine arts, performing arts, etc.

What would you consider the main differences with an honors class in any subject vs. a general class?
For me, honors must include these criteria:

1. Complete the "regular" academic course with a B or higher grade

2. Complete one large special project with a significant written component, or a research paper in that subject

3. Complete additional course work above and beyond the spine text (additional novels, additional text selections, additional website reading, additional exercises)

4. Demonstrate strong critical thinking skills in that subject area

5. Go above and beyond classroom work, such as in field work (sci), performance attendance and review (performing arts), interviews (such as in history) etc.

For example, in math would that mean a solid text with many of the more challenging problems worked?

That's a good base, but also consider other non-text sources of study, or at least additional text for supplementation.

For history, would this mean a solid text with several supplemental reads with essays and tests which incorporate some deeper thinking?

Exactly! And I think one big project/paper/lab is also a good idea--a sort of Keystone assignment, a show piece if you will, of what your child is capable of. Many courses are written in such a way that parents/teachers are encouraged to "pick and choose" which assignments to do and which can be skipped. For honors, go heavy and add to it from outside sources. For regular courses, do at least enough to say you have given it a thorough treatment, and demand solid work.

Sorry, I'm so inexperienced with this so please excuse any questions with the wrong ideas...:D

We all are in the beginning ;-) I classify dd as 9th grade for MY purposes, more because she will HOPEFULLY spend a year abroad and this gives me another year to teach her at home, even though she did mostly high school level work last year, too, most of which she could very reasonably earn high school credit for. So I'm quite the newb myself. But this is what I've asked of dd, and so far, 1 semester "officially" into it, she is meeting or exceeding my expectations for her. There's a chance I'm asking WAY more than Jane Doe asks of her kids to give them honors, and you'll certainly set your own criteria. I think that the important thing is to SET criteria, expect them to be met, and make sure they are defendable to someone who questions their rigor.

Does a homeschool AP class have to be approved or is this just a good option? Could you call your class an AP class if you prepare for the AP test and your child does well on it (without the approval)?

It is my understanding that AP designation on a transcript must be approved by the college board.

AP approval on two courses! Woo hoo!! and thank you!!

Totally Psyched - Just got 'AP' Approval

Has anyone created an approved AP Lang & Comp class..

AP course approval - anyone done this?

HTH!

I agree with Laurie Q and we must be thinking sisters because this is how I handled the planning of honors classes for DD. One thing I also did was to keep myself informed, through friends who are teachers, of what level of rigor that the local PS was assigning to "honors" designations. I then compared that with the equivalent classes at two prep schools in Detroit. The PS honors classes required less than I would for a regular class...by far. The honors classes at the prep school required more than the PS school but some less than I do, so I felt quite confident that I could defend the designation of "Honors". But, I did keep those Keystone projects handy just in case I needed to reproduce them. She's well into her pre-med program now and I don't need any of her work. But, I have to admit a certain sentimentality. I'm having a hard time getting rid of it even though I need the storage space.

Faith

Thanks Faith, I'll save my questions for Keystone projects for another thread, but I think I need to look into this too. :D

I'll look at some other schools and their outline for honors level classes, too.

I will probably post my plans here too (much later- when I can get to it) and see if you ladies think it will meet the level of honors, if you don't mind of course...:o