Menu

Singapore Math/ Primary Mathematics 3 and beyond question

kbpaulie

Ok, I know this question/ concept will go past 3 as well. But I have a question re: word problems. Frequently they use a sort of bar diagram in the home instr. manual to show a way to solve the problem. My son is fairly math intuative and gets it w/o the diagram. But I am seeing later that they are referring to these diagrams as a stepping stone for other concepts/ solutions. Do we need to be working on this bar diagram as a way to solve word problems b/c it builds on it in the future when the math gets tougher?

Also, if he gets 99% of the answers correct - do you make them show their work?

Thanks much!

We're just starting PM3 so I'm interested in the answers you get about the bar diagrams.

As far as showing work...I'm a huge stickler on this. I make my ds show all of his work. Mainly, this is because I tutor high school and college math students and they are so sloppy about showing their work which leads them to get the wrong answer often. I get so weary of beating them over the head with, "if you'd shown your work properly, you wouldn't have made x mistake." Therefore, I see it as teaching my ds good habits young so that they will be solid by the time he gets to Algebra. When my ds complains, I tell him we can give Miss Hannah a call (his former babysitter and my former student who is off at college) to discuss how important it is.

Ok, I know this question/ concept will go past 3 as well. But I have a question re: word problems. Frequently they use a sort of bar diagram in the home instr. manual to show a way to solve the problem. My son is fairly math intuative and gets it w/o the diagram. But I am seeing later that they are referring to these diagrams as a stepping stone for other concepts/ solutions. Do we need to be working on this bar diagram as a way to solve word problems b/c it builds on it in the future when the math gets tougher?

Also, if he gets 99% of the answers correct - do you make them show their work?

Thanks much!

Make him do the work, please. Save yourself the headache of getting to the later levels where there are 2-4 step processes, so they can't do it in their heads but they have never learned to do the diagramming, so they can't "see" where they need to go.

I let my oldest slide by, and regret it now. My younger kids are showing all their work, or I hand it back to them for them to write it out.

Heather

Make him do the work, please. Save yourself the headache of getting to the later levels where there are 2-4 step processes, so they can't do it in their heads but they have never learned to do the diagramming, so they can't "see" where they need to go.

:iagree:

Singapore uses the bar method all the way through the primary books. The problems just get harder. :)

I let my oldest slide by, and regret it now. My younger kids are showing all their work, or I hand it back to them for them to write it out.

Heather

:iagree: