Menu

Think I need a new 6th grade math

juliajulia

I don't think my daughter is getting anything out of her current math curriculum.

Background: K-3rd we did Horizon's math and really liked it. We then sent the children to a private school for 2 yrs. She was actually working a year ahead in homeschooling (kept her with her brother) so when I sent her to school I put her in her age appropriate grade, repeating 3rd (we'd had a child with medical problems so the previous yr of homeschooling had been very light) and then 4th the next year (They did Harcourt Math at this school). She did well in Math there. Never had a problem with drills. In her 5th grade year (back to homeschooling) we continued with Horizon's but didn't like it as well. Now to 6th grade - Started the year doing LOF division since she seemed to have trouble grasping that concept. She finished that quickly and we then began 6th grade Horizons. I just don't think she is gaining anything from it and it seems like a drudge for her. She doesn't seem to be the engineering type so I'm not looking to push her at all in Math but I don't want to go too easy either. Just a good, strong basic knowledge would server her very well.

Help!

TIA!!!

When ds gotted bogged down a little in Horizons 6, we took a break and worked through some of the Key To (Fractions, Percents) books, then went back and finished 6. I'm actually quite glad that we did -- but perhaps your level of frustration is greater than ours was?

Thanks for the info so far. I was thinking of doing the next LOF. Maybe I'll look into going through LOF and then starting Chalkdust Pre-Algebra. Just not sure yet.

She can do the Horizon's with little trouble. It is just that she doesn't seem to be really learning and she doesn't like it at all.

Have you looked at Math Mammoth 6? MM covers fractions/decimals/percents in great depth, with excellent conceptual explanations, as well as other topics often not covered until prealgebra, such as negative numbers (her explanations here are exceptionally good, IMO), exponents, factoring & primes, graphing functions, statistics & probability, etc. The word problems are also really excellent and quite challenging.

Jackie